HRM vs Garmin Watches?

Options
Okay, so I've heard a lot about the Polar Heart Rate Monitors on the site, but wondering if they're convenient (I know there's a chest strap?) but I've also been looking into the Garmin watches. I have a Nike + for running and I love it, but I know the calories probably aren't exact, and I can only use it for running. I would like something to use during spin class or on the elliptical, etc and thought the watch would be easy? Any thoughts or suggestions??

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard, the Garmin watches are more for tracking to see how far you've gone...it's a GPS system and I don't know if it even counts calories. I'd say you're better off with the HRM. Before I got mine, the last few months I've KNOWN I needed to get a heart rate monitor but the thought of strapping something to my chest both terrified and annoyed me. I didn't want to be one of those exercises... but I hit a few walls and finally bought one. Now I think it's kind of fun putting the strap around me! :) I know the calories burned are as accurate as I can get, so long as it's on tight, the electrodes are wet, and my personal information is up to date.

Also, I've heard Garmins are preeeetty pricey, so that's also something to consider. Although you could try craigslist and ebay.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I dont mind the chest strap, its noticable but not uncomfortable, but and it helps get a more accurate picture with reading the constant HR
    I have a Polar Ft7
  • marissa4354
    marissa4354 Posts: 140
    Options
    My chest strap for my HRM burned me. Be sure you follow the instructions!
  • whitney85
    whitney85 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin FR60. It is a HRM and it tracks distance. You are able to imput your personal information like gender, age, weight, activity level, etc. There is a chest strap, a watch, and a little thing you attach to your shoelaces. It was a little expensive, but I really like it. Mine does not have GPS, but my dad has a different one that does track actual location on a map but it isn't a HRM.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options

Gosh! Which model is that? I'm planning on getting one soon. So pricey though!
  • marissa4354
    Options
    It was by Polar. I'm not sure the model though, it was the coral one. I got a refund. They were very nice about it. They said it happens sometimes, and offered me a new one in place. I declined and took the refund.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options

Ooh, scary! Did you not wet the electrodes or something?
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    The chest strap doesn't bother me a bit!! :)
  • shellee9tj
    shellee9tj Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 with the chest strap and I love mine. The chest strap did take some getting used to but I definitely get a more accurate calorie burn with it!! I am scared now that someone got burned, how bad was the burn??
  • marissa4354
    Options
    It blistered where the electrodes are on the strap. Wasn't a bad burn, but it hurt for days! I couldn't exactly go around bra-less!
  • shellee9tj
    shellee9tj Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It blistered where the electrodes are on the strap. Wasn't a bad burn, but it hurt for days! I couldn't exactly go around bra-less!
    OUCH!! Sorry that happened to you :frown: Could you feel it while it was happening?
  • marissa4354
    Options
    I felt something weird, but it was only the 2nd time I wore it so I felt like I just wasn't used to it.
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Forerunner 305 for running and the Garmin Edge 305 for cycling. Both have GPS for seeing how far I go and pace, have HRM chest strap, and count calories. They cost more, but I wanted the GPS to track my performance and routes to see what kind of distance I can cover.
  • nicoled87
    nicoled87 Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the input!!
    Marissa-yikes, I will keep that in mind!! Sorry that happened to you..has anyone else had problems with theirs?
    Can you see the strap through your clothing? I go to a really small gym and feel like everyone would be weird lol

WhitneyNicole-can you use your watch for any exercise?? That sounds like a double deal!
  • whitney85
    whitney85 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Mine works for run/walk, biking, and general. I use the general for everything that isn't walking/running.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I have both a Garmin Forerunner and a Polar F6. Why? Well, I had the Garmin first and use it for running and cycling. It came with a chest strap HRM and so one day I decided to find out how many calories I burned doing ChaLEAN Extreme. I set it all up only to find out that it tracked my heart rate but not calories burned on indoor activities! After doing a bunch of research, I learned that garmin tracks calories based on time and distance NOT on heart rate. Therefore, my garmin was essentiall useless to me on tracking calories for any indoor workouts. So, I spent $80 on a polar F6. I do like it and it helped me learn that the treadmill at the gym was overestimating my calories burned. So, now I have two gadgets to keep track of instead of just one. Ah well. They both help me reach my goals! Good luck!
  • nicoled87
    nicoled87 Posts: 20
    Options
    Thank you so much!! That is extremely helpful, I guess I will go with the polar f6 so I can track calories doing anything!! :)