• SlvrBluGoddess
    SlvrBluGoddess Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. :happy: :flowerforyou:
    *time for some chocolate* :laugh:
  • SorchaEilis
    SorchaEilis Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bump for the link... I've been guilty of many of these, particularly the obsession stuff. I need a reminder every once in a while that obsessing over a healthy diet is, well, unhealthy sometimes.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should not starve yourself BUT... point the 2nd is incorrect. That is not how metabolism works (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metabolism/WT00006). And if you are overweight, your body will use fat long before muscles-- your body doesn't take muscle until it runs through fat. That's what the fat is for.

The article you linked to did not say anything about your body not preserving calories in large deficits (by slowing metabolism) or always burning fat before muscle, because it's just not true. In fact, the article supports IPOARM..
    Because metabolism is a natural process, your body generally balances it to meet your individual needs. That's why if you try so-called starvation diets, your body compensates by slowing down these bodily processes and conserving calories for survival.

Muscle is expensive tissue to maintain, it requires more calories at rest. When you eat at a very large caloric deficit, your body will attempt to become more efficient at burning calories to maintain stasis. So if your muscles are not being used to their full capacity on a regular basis, it will get rid of muscle tissue first.

Remember that our bodies are built for feast and famine (our advanced food preservation and transportation methods are really very recent), which is why we gain weight so easily in the first place. The human body is very good at maintaining stasis during famine periods (large calorie deficits) because it is smart enough to get rid of expensive and nonvital tissue like excess muscle.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should not starve yourself BUT... point the 2nd is incorrect. That is not how metabolism works (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metabolism/WT00006). And if you are overweight, your body will use fat long before muscles-- your body doesn't take muscle until it runs through fat. That's what the fat is for.

From the article you linked to:
    "That's why if you try so-called starvation diets, your body compensates by slowing down these bodily processes and conserving calories for survival."

That's exactly what the original article was saying. It's called adaptive thermogenesis, and even the mayo clinic recognizes it. Both articles are suggesting moderation and not trying to "starve yourself thin". The great thing about the original is that it doesn't say anything about exact numbers because they can vary between people, and so there's always an outcry that someone is different.

It's just saying eat less than you use, but enough to fuel your body. It may be more (and in some cases a lot more) than you think.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Very good advice. Always great to have a reminder.

The hardest thing for me to learn was that a "cheat meal" should still be recorded and it doesn't mean a failed day and give me the liberty to eat whatever I want. Recording those trips to fast food joints has showed me that these "cheat" meals actually fit quite well in my calories with a bit of tweaking of the rest of my day/week.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see #6 in there. I've suggested this is helpful in losing weight but IMO key to maintenance on MFP several times and always get a bunch of replies saying "listening to our bodies is how we got fat". No, more often not listening is how you get fat.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Um... well it's right couched inside of wrong. There is a little too much to debunk here, and since it ultimately is right... I won't bother.

Good advice! Bad info supporting it.
  • DennyHodge
    DennyHodge Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Definitely some good information in there. I don't even consider it a journey. It's a lifestyle change that has to continue the rest of your life. It's not a temporary fix. When I say "diet" around people they automatically assume I'm trying to lose more weight and am on some crazy plan, when I mean my literal diet/nutrition plan, and what I choose to put into my body.

I lost a lot of weight just by exercising, but didn't reach my goals until I addressed food. It's still a process but it's one that I'm learning much better each day.
  • virginiagomes
    virginiagomes Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see #6 in there. I've suggested this is helpful in losing weight but IMO key to maintenance on MFP several times and always get a bunch of replies saying "listening to our bodies is how we got fat". No, more often not listening is how you get fat.

I agree. Not listening to my body and just eating because I'm bored/emotional/food sounds good was why I gained the extra weight in the first place. Trying to eat now when I'm hungry has helped me lose 20 pounds.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much figured these out but it helps to have them all here so I can clearly explain to others; especially when I tell them fat free cheese isn't good for you. This is a great reference to send them to.
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    5 / Clocking Out (and I mean all the way out) for the Weekend

Thanks for posting this! I'm newer to MFP (Jan. 2013) and have begun to notice some of my patterns...the big one is that I tend to "clock out" on Sundays and Mondays (dinners). Those are sort of the 2 days I'm scrambling to try to get my family ready and organized for the week. Also, I always have a really hard workout on Friday and Saturday and I don't think I'm refueling properly. Feels like my body is trying to make up for it on Sunday and Monday.

Yea Im really guilty of that. But I've learn to do just like the article say, 1 or 2 cheat meals or snacks if needed. And it works for me now. And thats usually my saturday dinner. And welcome to MPF!!! I wish you the best!
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I clicked in here expecting the same old tired Bro Science crap. And someone trying to justify it...and push it on everyone, one size fits all kinda post ....

This was a great surprise, and actually probably quite helpful info for some. It was refreshing to say the least ....good post OP ....

2 thumbs up !!!
  • lknjohnson
    Options
    Very good advice. Always great to have a reminder.

The hardest thing for me to learn was that a "cheat meal" should still be recorded and it doesn't mean a failed day and give me the liberty to eat whatever I want. Recording those trips to fast food joints has showed me that these "cheat" meals actually fit quite well in my calories with a bit of tweaking of the rest of my day/week.

Omg I use to do that, not record it! lmao. But we need to its a learning tool. If you go over calories..... its ok. it happens just dont go over board. When every i know im going to have a cheat meal, just just work out twice as hard that day so it won't be to bad.
  • goodrid3
    goodrid3 Posts: 1
    Options
    You are mistaken - the link you posted says nothing about starvation. The human brain requires proteins to function (http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/proteins.html) and if your diet does not provide enough of them, then your body will use the protein from your muscles. Though protein can be converted to fat if you get too much protein, it is a one way conversion. Fat cannot be converted to protein.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I clicked in here expecting the same old tired Bro Science crap. And someone trying to justify it...and push it on everyone, one size fits all kinda post ....

This was a great surprise, and actually probably quite helpful info for some. It was refreshing to say the least ....good post OP ....

2 thumbs up !!!

Yeah, except some of the science behind it isn't accurate. People should be aware of that. But it's primarily a commentary piece so I hope most people will take it with a grain of salt.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm so guilty of number 5. I always go over on the weekends, but I think that's going to happen for the rest of my life! I like to celebrate! :flowerforyou:
  • lknjohnson
    Options
    You guys are welcome. When ever I come across something that might be helpful i will share the info!
  • lknjohnson
    Options
    bump
  • lknjohnson
    Options
    bump for the link... I've been guilty of many of these, particularly the obsession stuff. I need a reminder every once in a while that obsessing over a healthy diet is, well, unhealthy sometimes.

lol