Hummus Rant

Options
I will start off by saying that I absolutely love hummus and could easily eat my weight in it daily, if given the opportunity.

However...I think I will lose my mind if I see one more "Healthy Foods" or "20 Things You Can Do To Be Healthier" article that refers to hummus as high in fiber and protein. CNN had an article today that said: "12. Hummus. Schmear half a toasted whole-grain bagel with 2 TBSP hummus for a creamy topping packed with fiber and filling protein."

2 TBSP of hummus has about 50-75 calories, 2g of protein and 1g of fiber-I don't think that is a good source of protein or fiber by any stretch of the imagination.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

Replies

• tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    no comment on your actual question...just wanted to say I read that article as well and while i love hummus and would gladly "schmear" it on just about anything...2 tablespoons doesnt make me feel like "go me, got my protein, this should hold me over" idk maybe it would, never really thought about it, i just eat it because its good
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I always laugh about that too. I love hummus but would have to eat an entire container to get a decent amount of protein. I just eat it because I like it not so much because of anything else really.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Not to mention that I would not consider a whole grain bagel particularly healthy if we're talking about nutrient-dense. Shmear that on a celery stick or carrot, yes. On a romaine leaf, yes. Inside a mushroom, yes. Over a chicken breast, yes.

I don't eat it often (usually it's devoured by my 3 year old before I get any). But I love it for the taste and don't consider it the most nutritious thing to eat.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It has more than any other spread, but yeah, over all, it is going to take more than 2 tbsp to affect your daily protein and fiber.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    It has more than any other spread, but yeah, over all, it is going to take more than 2 tbsp to affect your daily protein and fiber.

Not true (about it having "more than any other spread"). And to the OP, I agree... I feel the same confusion about peanut butter when it comes to a "protein source".
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    And to the OP, I agree... I feel the same confusion about peanut butter when it comes to a "protein source".

I feel this way about PB too...
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one! :)
  • natsmom118
    natsmom118 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I. Love. Hummus.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I LOVE hummus, but I completely agree - it's not my protein source for a meal. I'll eat it as a snack (usually for an added kick to keep myself satisfied until dinner) and I normally spread it on bread as a condiment on a turkey sandwich, but it's not a meal. I was recently at a conference where hummus and pita were served as the vegetarian options for a dinner. I was happy to have something to eat, but it just not as substantial as the meat lasagna...