Curried Chickpeas & Black Beans w/ PHOTO only 3 WW Points!

Options
heathersmilez
heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
Let me start off by saying, I’ve made this one extra easy, it put it in the directory for one serving (recipe serves 2). I titled it “Curried Chickpeas, Black Beans & Brown Rice – 6 WW Points”

Ok, so it’s already in MFP, you probably have all the ingredients in your kitchen currently and being so low fat high in fibre you have no excuse to try this.

If you are like me, a chicken-and-rice plain kind of girl, you may be shy of curry but this recipe attracted my attention some time ago b/c you could make it with items you usually had in your cupboard, it was vegetarian, high in vitamin C and sooooooo low in fat and ridiculously high in fibre. So I tried it and I love it! I definitely go easy on the curry/ginger in my recipe but if you love it feel free to add more. My husband is not a fan of this recipe b/c of the spices but I adore it and I still continue to make it for 2 and just eat it 2 days in a row; it refrigerates and re-warms very well. This is traditionally served over basmati rice (as you can see from my photo taken the first time I made it) but I now use Minute Brown Rice b/c its only 150 calories for almost 1 cup cooked, has more nutritional value than basmati and so easy and fast to make – it’s the rice in the big brown box.

Curried Chickpeas & Black Beans

½ tsp extra virgin olive oil
½ cup onion
½ tsp ginger
1 tsp curry powder
½ can (14oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
¾ cup black beans, rinsed and drained
¾ cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped (or 1 tbsp dry)
½ tbsp lemon juice
1 cup dry Brown Minute Rice

Directions: Prepare rice according to the box. Combine oil, onion and ginger and sauté 3 minutes until tender. Add curry powder, stir to coat onions evenly. Add tomatoes with their juices and cook 1-2 minutes or until mixture seems slightly thickened, stirring well. Add black beans and chickpeas, stir to coat evenly. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes or until chickpeas are heated through. Turn off heat, stir in fresh cilantro and lemon juice. Serve warm over 2/3 cup cooked Minute brown rice (included in pts). Serves 2.

WW Points: 6 (only 3 if you exclude rice)

Detailed nutrition: 398 calories, 13 g fibre and 5 g fat. If you exclude the rice it is 248 calories, 3 g fat and 11 g fibre.

Picture5455.jpg

Replies