Tinned tuna ideas?

Options

Replies

• symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Mix it with light laughing cow cheese instead of mayo. Only 35cal per wedge. Checkout www.greenlitebites.com, she has lots of tuna recipes!
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    yummy tuna recipes!
  • abelthephotographer
    Options
    At the moment I'm eating this:

- tuna
    - garlic
    - finger chillies
    - sweetcorn
    - spinach
    - tinned tomatoes
    - black olives
    - oregano and basil

with wholemeal spaghetti ... :)
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I made these awesome sweet potato tuna cakes last night. Soooo good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNxbuAalAxI
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've used it to make tuna cakes before. Like a crab cake, but with tuna instead. I can't think of the recipe off the top of my head, but I'd imagine you could add anything you like, mix in a beaten egg so it all sticks together, then cook it in a non-stick skillet until it's brown on both sides.

This and I also do this with canned/packets of salmon.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Get the spring water kind, drain thoroughly, add as much vinegar as you like (lots!) and some chopped cucumber.
    I have it on Ryvita or if I feel I've got spare carbs/calories in a wrap.
  • wbfd22
    wbfd22 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Check out rippedrecipes.com They have 2 tuna recipes I love. One is a tuna melt and the other is a sweet potatoe and tuna patty. Both fantastic!!
  • MacDHH
    MacDHH Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love tuna and usually have it once a week at least. I make it into a tuna, sweetcorn and pasta salad:
    1 tin tuna
    100 g (uncooked) pasta
    1 small can sweet corn
    grated carrots (usually about 3)
    I then mix this all up with about 50 g of salad cream (to make it a bit lighter).

It's tasty, and one serving has about 300 cals and 20 g of protein. It's an easy lunch to make :)
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    Stuffed tomatoes.
  • MKSamra
    MKSamra Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump! :)
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I just toss it in my salad add a little mayo, powdered garlic , salt and pepper.
  • Dreajewkes
    Options
    I love lemon pepper, onion powder, mustard, pickles, and best food low fat mayo. Then i either take a medium sized tomato and scoop out the middle with a spoon and stuff the tomato and eat it with a salad Or i put the tuna in a romaine lettuce leaf enjoy!
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I add black beans, onion, mustard, and cumin. YUM!

Gonna try this tonight!
  • JHarr454
    JHarr454 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    A shot of olive oil mayo and a shot of coarse ground mustard and a splash of Worcestershire sauce.
  • beaverfever5
    beaverfever5 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    tuna mixed with cottage cheese, cayenne and cholula
  • sasab904
    sasab904 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Where can you find Farro? I have been trying to find it for a few weeks and no where around me.

Hey,

I know it's not the healthiest but its affordable and has a lot of protein so please tell me your fav tinned tuna recepies
    [/quote]

What makes you say it isn't healthy...tuna is very healthy, even in a can. The can doesn't change the fact that it's tuna...

Anyway, here's my favorite:

Pearled Farro and Tuna Salad (serves 4 of roughly 1 cup per serving)...this is my own concoction inspired by an Ina Garten recipe for Israeli Couscous and Tuna.

- 3/4 cup dry pearled Farro cooked in 2 1/4 cup water
    - 1 can solid white albacore tuna in water
    - 15 kalamata olives (3 servings)
    - 1/2 tbsp non-pareilles capers
    - 3 oz roasted red bell pepper
    - 1 clove garlic minced
    - 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    - Juice of 1 lemmon

Cook the farro and then just mix everything together well. Farro is an ancient grain similar in texture to barley...it is nuttier in flavor and is a good source of protein, much like quinoa.

Per Serving:

Calories - 317
    Carbs - 31
    Protein - 17
    Fat - 16

I usually serve this over a bed of mixed greens or spinach with a handful of cherry tomatoes and raw radish...sometimes I put a little fetta on top as well, but that depends on where I am in my macro goals.
    [/quote]
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Make a sandwich. Lettuce, onion, tomato, mushrooms, homemade guac, dijon mustard and a pineapple slice :)
  • sasab904
    sasab904 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like to add it to a spinach salad with avocado, tomatoes and a little fat free feta cheese. You can add it to Quinoa, rice also, or just eat it by itself.
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    Tuna Crunch is my favourite. One of the healthy options my mum pushed my way.

Tuna & Light Mayo, Chopped Peppers, Red Onions, Cucumber, Celery, Apple and maybe some sultana's (if i'm feeling fruity ;D ).

In a wrap, in a sandwhich, as a seperate salad. I enjoy it all. :) Crunchy, filling and OHSOGOOD.

This really sounds good!
  • myrickn
    myrickn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Its not tuna but salmon is in the same boat.

2 (7 ounce) cans boneless skinless pink salmon
    3/4 cup quaker old fashioned oats, uncooked ( I usually need 1 1/2 cups)
    1/3 cup skim milk or 1/3 cup low-fat milk
    1 egg whites or 1 egg
    2 tablespoons finely chopped onions (optional)
    1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dill weed (optional)
    1 tablespoon margarine/butter/olive oil

Directions:

1 Combined all ingredients except margarine; mix well.
    2 Shape to form oval patties about 1/2 inch thick.
    3 Pan fry the patties in margarine/butter/olive oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown and heated through.
    4 Serve hot.

about 224 calories each