Canine fitness companions!

Options
Hey everyone!

I wanted to see who else gets out with their canine companion for their exercise and what sort of activities you do with your dog. Maybe share some fun fitness ideas so newbies like myself can explore these activities with our dogs as well!

Five days ago rescued a Siberian Husky who was a stray form the shelter to be my adventure buddy since my shih tzu would rather just be a lap dog in his old age. We've been getting out for three hour long walks every day and he is going to be a wonderful jogging and hiking companion once the ice clears up outside. Kodi, our true to his breed husky, has been amazing motivation for me since he is really discontent when we don't get out that day for our exercise and when we are out he always has the drive to go further which makes me push myself when I want to head back home. No human fitness companion has had me comply so willingly or inspired me so much. I'm just head over heals for this dog and so excited to have someone who has the same amount of enthusiasm as I do about getting out.

Replies

• divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have naughty bull terriers that need a good walk almost every day. They tend to want to stop and sniff a lot more than I like, but it's better than going out by myself. Unfortunately, they are kind of temperature sensitive and we have to work around the extremes, but it needs to be safe for everybody, right?
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have a Doberman puppy who's turning 1 this month. (Of course, he'll still be a puppy for another year!) We go for about 5 30 minute to 1 hour walks a week, plus we love to go hiking together when weather permits. As soon as he's old enough, I'll have him start running beside me on my bike. He's a wonderful exercise companion!
  • goldstargeek
    goldstargeek Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I take my dogs to the barn and they get the run of 40 acres. They run around in the barn while Im getting my horse ready and then they follow me around while I ride. Kills the me, dogs and horse exercise needs with one stone :) Plus it is the best fun ever. Love my dogs and horse
  • Chickabittie
    Options
    Congrats on your beautiful dog!

I have a Golden Retriever puppy, 9 months. Both he and I love nothing more in this life than going to our nearby State Park which is 900 acres of woods, fields and ponds. We love our long walks in the woods. I walk, he runs. This guy is still a little too excited to walk nicely on his leash, he is a puller. We are working on that. Have fun with your new pup.
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My 3 year old catahoula girl, lethal white, rescue pup is the best running partner I could have. Or she will be once she stops trying to devour everything smaller than her.

I have always had dogs and love to get out woth them. They truly are the best exercise partners and can be incorporated to most anything outdoors....including kayaking, swimming, and water play. Waliking and running are the obvious ones. If you have a dog park, or open area where he canbe off lead, try playing tag and just chase him around...dogs love this game! Incorporate a ball of toy into the play.

Enjoy your new adventure buddy. He's lucky to have such an involved comapnion!
  • themutineer
    themutineer Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've wanted a dog for years now - it seems like it would be such a great motivation to get out and active more often, especially since I don't have many friends.
  • JayMri
    JayMri Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I love walking with my dog. She motivates me to get out, she will stare me down when she thinks it's time for a walk!! She's very high energy so when she doesn't get a walk she drives me nuts!. I also love taking her to our local dog park where she can run free while I walk. Playing frisbee with her is also a fun way to burn a few calories.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    sounds like a nice new companion you have there i am myself looking for a new dog since mine has passed away of old age at the moment i take my mother in laws dog for daily walks and hikes till i have my own he is a wheaten terrier and never tired since my inlaws are both very active hikers and always take him along as well
  • AlexThreeClaw
    AlexThreeClaw Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I definitely find it easier to get motivated with a dog at home, I've never known a human friend to be so consistently keen to get out and about whatever the weather. We used to have a Jack Russell who went nuts for ball games, we'd play football for hours. Our Yorkshire Terrier just liked to run rings around us. We also had a Red Setter that could walk and walk but wouldn't move a step unless you were walking too. (He was on steroids most of his life and got quite fat and lazy. I blame myself for a lot of that.)

Last year I fostered an incredibly quick learning spaniel and we did a spot of bike-joring, that was brilliant and he loved every minute of it. Right now I've just got a rescue greyhound. He's lovely and I'm trying to get fitter so I can jog with him. Looking forward to Cani-X on the beach.