Back hurts from running- Treatments?

Options
moriaht
moriaht Posts: 251 Member
I have recently started running again and my mid to lower back is very sore now. There is a dealfind on for acupuncture and an orthopedics consult on in my area, has anyone tried anything like that for back pain from running? I would normally opt for a massage, but this is cheap!

Any other suggestions on treatment would be very welcome. Thanks!

EDIT: Also, what's the best way to get cardio in right now that won't affect my back?

Replies

• jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    You might look into getting custom orthotics to put in your running shoes. If you have flat feet or falling arches it can affect youer posture and impact your lower back. They have helped both my knees and back tremendously
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You might also want to make sure you are stretching enough. I know when my hips are tight, I get more back pain.
  • dsmrunner
    dsmrunner Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    First off, congrats on getting back into running, there's no better calorie burner if you ask me. Plus it's very relaxing, but that's just me. :-)

Accupuncture and orthopedics consult from the same place?? Is this a sports medicine place? Sounds sorta sketchy to me, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to see what they have to say. Of course you have to be aware that they're probably motivated to get you in as many times as possible and upsell you on different things, so I'd be careful.

Otherwise ... as a runner I've always found my back tightness is related to tight hamstrings ... make sure you're stretching them out once they're warm (don't ever stretch any muscle before warming up).

You might try getting a foam roller for your hamstrings and legs. And if you have time, consider yoga.

I'd also make sure you have the right shoes ... if you haven't already, head down to your local running store and see what they'd recommend for you.

By the way ... how long have you been away from running? And how many miles did you run per week previously, and how many are you doing now?

Oh yeah ... back friendly cardio. You might consider a stationary bike, spin classes, the elliptical, and/or swimming.
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    First off, congrats on getting back into running, there's no better calorie burner if you ask me. Plus it's very relaxing, but that's just me. :-)

Accupuncture and orthopedics consult from the same place?? Is this a sports medicine place? Sounds sorta sketchy to me, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to see what they have to say. Of course you have to be aware that they're probably motivated to get you in as many times as possible and upsell you on different things, so I'd be careful.

Otherwise ... as a runner I've always found my back tightness is related to tight hamstrings ... make sure you're stretching them out once they're warm (don't ever stretch any muscle before warming up).

You might try getting a foam roller for your hamstrings and legs. And if you have time, consider yoga.

I'd also make sure you have the right shoes ... if you haven't already, head down to your local running store and see what they'd recommend for you.

By the way ... how long have you been away from running? And how many miles did you run per week previously, and how many are you doing now?

Oh yeah ... back friendly cardio. You might consider a stationary bike, spin classes, the elliptical, and/or swimming.

Thank you!
    First of all, yes it's a sports medicine place.

This was the first time running in new shoes too, so I don't think I will use those ones again. I will try running in my old ones and see if it makes a difference when my back feels better.

I have been away from it for 7 or 8 months now. I was running for an hour before (around 6 mph), taking breaks when needed. I started with 50 minutes- and now regretting it :S I think it was a little too much for my first week out!
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Besides tight hamstrings (I use my marble rolling pin to roll them out), check to see where your foot strike is. If you are coming down hard on your heels that can certainly increase back pain. I went minimalist and feel so much better, but that was due to the way "normal" running shoes encouraged me to run.