is all cardio the same... effectiveness

Options
is all cardio the same? as in effective the same way? So if i do the elliptical or boxing burn same calories with the same time and heart rate ( per heart rate monitor) would one still be considered better than the other? or is the calories loss during the workout most important?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Well, no because intensity of exercise makes a difference. If we're talking about what cardio targets (the heart and cardiovascular system) then yes.
    IMO, you do cardio you know you will do for life. If it's something you hate, then chances are you won't stay with it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I know that I can use the elliptical for 17 minutes and burn 200 calories. Yesterday, I walked at 4.5 and ran at 5.5 in intervals/hills on the treadmill for 20 minutes and only burned 164 calories. So for me, just for pure calorie burn the elliptical is more effective. But I'd say do the one you like the best. You'll want to keep doing it...
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If done at the same intensity/workload, then yes they are all the same. If you work harder at exercise A than you do exercise B, then A will be more effective, but that's because you worked harder, not because of the actual exercise.

• JENNIENS
    JENNIENS Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE!
  • SydneyRenee2
    SydneyRenee2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think when you do cardio like Shaun T's Insanity versus the elliptical machine there's a difference. That kind of cardio will increase your strength as well and you will most likely burn more calories since it's more intense.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I think when you do cardio like Shaun T's Insanity versus the elliptical machine there's a difference. That kind of cardio will increase your strength as well and you will most likely burn more calories since it's more intense.
    Actually since Insanity is mostly cardio, you build muscle endurance and not strength. To build strength the resistance has to INCREASE.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition