help

Options
I am 5 months postpartum and I am back to my pre pregnancy, however I would like to lose an additional 20lbs. I am looking to tone up and lose a few inches. Any advise on exercises to accomplish this would be great!

Replies

• webutmirrortheworld
    webutmirrortheworld Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    What is your current fitness level? Are you a member of a gym (or willing to go to a gym), or are you looking for at-home options?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Diet is going to be the number 1 thing to focus on to lose fat. As for exercise, for cardio, find something you like doing. Is it running? A kickboxing class? Just get in some movement. Find a good, basic beginning strength program and hit the freeweights. Start with just the bar or no weights to perfect form and go from there. Do not be afraid of lifting heavy for lower reps.
  • mayhr3
    mayhr3 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi,

I have found that the best exercises that had worked for me to tone and loose weight have been weight training teamed up with cardio.
    I work on different muscle groups each day, e.g. arms, back, chest, legs, teamed with with abs and cardio
    I would alternate my abs with my workout and extend my cardio sessions onm those days
    EG. Day 1:- Arms & Abs & 20mins Cardio
    Day 2:- Legs & 30mins Cardio
    Day 3:- Chest & Abs & 20mins Cardio etc...

Bodybuilding.com is a good website to get some weight training exercises from.

Hope that helps
    x
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Diet is going to be the number 1 thing to focus on to lose fat. As for exercise, for cardio, find something you like doing. Is it running? A kickboxing class? Just get in some movement. Find a good, basic beginning strength program and hit the freeweights. Start with just the bar or no weights to perfect form and go from there. Do not be afraid of lifting heavy for lower reps.
    This is my favorite advice ever. No one can really tell you what's the best because it's very personal to what you enjoy. So find something you really like, look forward to doing and gets you moving and do it. There will be lots of trial and error. Definitely do strength training as well. And yes, this in conjunction with a good diet is key. Make sure to eat well and enough calories too. You don't have to do the 1200 that's always recommended my MFP
  • jnhuitt
    jnhuitt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have just rejoined the gym last week. Currently I am doing 30min of Cardio 4-5 times a week. I am still breastfeeding my son so I am limited on how many calories I count according to my lactation consultant.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Since you're nursing, I'd focus on what you're eating to start to get into the habits of good nutrition and worry less about the calories, so long as you're not eating a ton. And, use this time to fiddle with your owrkouts and really get into a good groove with them. I'd definitely add in some lifting as well.
  • webutmirrortheworld
    webutmirrortheworld Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have just rejoined the gym last week. Currently I am doing 30min of Cardio 4-5 times a week. I am still breastfeeding my son so I am limited on how many calories I count according to my lactation consultant.

It would be great to start adding lifting to your workout schedule. With my current routine, I do 5 days at the gym- 30 min of cardio and roughly 30 min of weight training. I have it split into legs, chest, back/shoulders, and arms.