For those of you who eat more

Options
For those of you eating at TDEE -20%, 15%. How long after increase your calories did you start noticing a drop in weight? I know some say it takes about 2 months sometimes, just want to get idea from people how long it took for you.

Thanks!

Replies

• lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I just started this and I gained 2 pounds first and after about a month the scale is heading back down. To be totally honest I had a few really bad days that probably explain the 2 pounds. Ok maybe a week worth of bad days. That is what helped me decide to make the switch. 1200 wasn't working. I am much happier right now. I hope this trend continues.
  • skincy
    skincy Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am so much happier!! I have had a couple of over days, but mostly keeping at least a 250 deficit. My diary might not show it because I have been using my fitbit to kind of get a better idea of what I burn during the day. I burn at least 2200 calories just on my lazy days so I know me trying to eating lower than 1700-1800 is not good. I gained a little and now I have gone back to my original weight when I started this so I am hoping it continues :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It depends on your metabolism, the length of time you were eating a low calorie diet, etc etc. Some people may take 4-6 weeks or more, so stick with it before deciding it is not working.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    It depends on your metabolism, the length of time you were eating a low calorie diet, etc etc. Some people may take 4-6 weeks or more, so stick with it before deciding it is not working.

Agreed ! ^^^^

Consistency is important. Keep consistent with your food and activity. Don't change either up substantially ...stay consistent. If u do have an unusually high activity day ( a hike, long bike ride) that is not within your norm when you calculated your estimated TDEE ...be sure to properly fuel. Water is also important to fat loss ... I aim for a gallon a day. Hydration .... Don't stall your efforts for lack of something so simple.

Stay happy and enjoying life !
  • harlanJEN
    Options
    If your TDEE is 2200 , then 1700-1800 should be great. My TDEE is 2200. I'm losing at. 1700-1800. Never lower than 1700. I eat deficit 6 days , eat up to or slightly over 2200 1 day per week. Keeps my body, mind and spirit happy ..especially my leptin levels : )
  • skincy
    Options
    If your TDEE is 2200 , then 1700-1800 should be great. My TDEE is 2200. I'm losing at. 1700-1800. Never lower than 1700. I eat deficit 6 days , eat up to or slightly over 2200 1 day per week. Keeps my body, mind and spirit happy ..especially my leptin levels : )

That is only on my very lazy days. The days I run and do strenght training my TDEE is upwards of 2800 to 3500. I run alot and alot of marathons and long runs
  • holliwood97
    holliwood97 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    i went for 1360 up to 1850. i gain three pound the first week then lost it again a couple after... Then waited another four weeks So 6 Total... Was very frustrated on the fifth week. and my friends on MFP told me to keep going and wait a little longer. So after 6 weeks the scale started moving down and has every week now. :)
  • skincy
    Options
    I am 5'11' and I have come to realize my calorie needs are much more then the average woman. I definately was trying to cut my calories way too much before!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Mine was pretty much instant, I gained 2lb the first week then lost 4lb the next, and have been losing at a steady pace since then.. However I have never been one to undereat much, I've never done a 'fad diet', and although I was eating at too large a deficit, it wasn't for very long.

It very much depends on how long you were under eating for, but keep with it. It does work and it's worth the wait,
  • kellyw036
    kellyw036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11' and I have come to realize my calorie needs are much more then the average woman. I definately was trying to cut my calories way too much before!

I am 5'11 too. Feel free to add me-its so nice having people around with similar goals! Especially tall girls!
  • aberc
    aberc Posts: 98
    Options
    I was eating around 1000-1200 calories a day and bumped it up to around 1500 over the course of two weeks. I guess the gradual incline in calories helped me not gain any weight, and I started losing after about a week and a half / two weeks..
  • Roderunr
    Roderunr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused with my numbers...I'm happy to find this post :smile:

My TDEE is 2160 and my BMR is 1800. With these numbers, what should I choose as my calorie count? Right now, MFP has put me at 1200 calories/day. I'm finding that I follow this but I tend to binge after a few days and gain any loss back (plus more). I know I have to up my intake but not sure how much...

Help? :embarassed:
  • Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

My TDEE is 2160 and my BMR is 1800. With these numbers, what should I choose as my calorie count? Right now, MFP has put me at 1200 calories/day. I'm finding that I follow this but I tend to binge after a few days and gain any loss back (plus more). I know I have to up my intake but not sure how much...

I'm confused a bit. Your TDEE is only 260 calories over your BMR? The only way that makes sense is if you are sitting around all day and not exercising. Since it is detrimental to eat below your BMR, there is really very little room between your TDEE and BMR number to reduce calories for weight loss.

Did you account for exercise when you calculated your TDEE?
  • skincy
    Options

got to fat2fitradio.com, this cna help you determine what your should be eating
  • Roderunr
    Roderunr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    No, it didn't ask for my exercise...hmmm...maybe I better try that again!! No wonder it's confusing!! :tongue:

Thanx Skincy - I'll try that website!
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    It took about 5 weeks before I started to see drop in the scale.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories from MFP's recommendation to TDEE-15%, it was a difference of 500 calories. I had been undereating by that 500 calories for probably about 4 months (I didn't have to change any of my eating habits to stay under the MFP calorie goal).

I started loosing right away. I've been doing it for 2 weeks and I've lost 3lbs. It got me out of a 3 month long plateau.
  • Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    No, it didn't ask for my exercise...hmmm...maybe I better try that again!! No wonder it's confusing!! :tongue:

You can also try scoobysworkshop.com...use the accurate calorie calculator. It will ask you how much you are exercising and take that into account when determining your TDEE. :)
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 914 Member
    Options

I dont calculate my TDEE with exercise either...I use sedentary. That means my TDEE is about 220 cals over my BMR...I do this because my exercise is extremely variable and I can't say there is a good average week to week...I just add/eat my exercise calories back for the day and this ensures that on days when I am working at a sedentary TDEE (stuck in the office 14hrs)...I am not gaining. And on days when I run a half-marathon...I am not under eating.
  • harlanJEN
    Options

That is only on my very lazy days. The days I run and do strenght training my TDEE is upwards of 2800 to 3500. I run alot and alot of marathons and long runs

ROFL!!! that made me sound like a slacker : )