What is the best (most nutritious) Greek Yogurt??

Options

Replies

• BAMarsh
    BAMarsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I usually eat Chobani, simply because it's the easiest one to find. I haven't really done any comparisons though.

Chobani is filled with tons of artificial ingredients! Ya its covient but for your body's sake, eat plain yogurt.

Are you sure you mean Chobani? My chobani ingredient list says nothing about artificial ingredients?

To answer OP - you can see, we eat Chobani.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Chobani is filled with tons of artificial ingredients! Ya its covient but for your body's sake, eat plain yogurt.

Say what? http://chobani.com/products/low-fat-plain/

Chobani ingredients: "Cultured Pasteurized Nonfat Milk, Cream, Live And Active Cultures: S. Thermophilus, L. Bulgaricus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus And L. Casei."

Maybe you're thinking of something else?

Chobani, Fage, and Siggi are a few of my favorites, although Siggi's technically not "Greek". All of them, in plain, are pretty high in protein, fairly low in carbs/sugar. Some are a little higher, some a little lower, but not by a lot.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I prefer Oikos NonFat Greek with Honey. The Honey makes the sugar high, but it give that little bit of sweetness that I crave. That and a hard boiled egg are my breakfast every morning! Keeps me good until almost 11:30 each day!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I agree with buying plain and adding your own ingredients. I usually add vanilla protein powder, strawberries or blueberries and a granola type thing. Delicious!!
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    For me..its the Greek God's brand. Only 5 ingredients and I can pronounce them all!

THIS! I've tried them all, and this is by far my favorite. I even like the plain... well, plain! It's wonderful stuff.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Yoplait Greek 100 - particularly the key lime and the berry ones!
    (10-12 carbs, 12-14 proteins, 100 cal, no fat)

ALSO!
    it's not Greek yogurt, it's Icelandic -
    http://www.skyr.com/skyr.html
    Siggi's - SO GOOD! really thick though. the vanilla makes for an awesome snack with cinamon or as a fruit dipper.
    (0 fat, 100 cal, 11 carbs, 14 protein, 9 sugar (agave is used)
    **Siggi's has NO added junk... so that's a plus!

Yum!!

Oh my gosh, I LOVE Skyr! Our Wegman's grocery store carries it.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have a Fage 0% every morning for breakfast. For me it is the best tasting. You can get it often at Target on sale for $1. I personally get the ones with the fruit on the side, so you can add as much or as little as you want.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Yoplait Greek 100 - particularly the key lime and the berry ones!
    (10-12 carbs, 12-14 proteins, 100 cal, no fat)

ALSO!
    it's not Greek yogurt, it's Icelandic -
    http://www.skyr.com/skyr.html
    Siggi's - SO GOOD! really thick though. the vanilla makes for an awesome snack with cinamon or as a fruit dipper.
    (0 fat, 100 cal, 11 carbs, 14 protein, 9 sugar (agave is used)
    **Siggi's has NO added junk... so that's a plus!

Yum!!

I've been meaning to try Siggi's :) Thanks for the endorsement
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Kirkland Plain Greek yogurt (Costco). No artificial flavors, colors, preservatives. One serving is 175g, 100 Calories, 0 Fat, 18g protein. And it's oh so creamy!
  • throttle2009
    Options
    PC brand in Canada. Stirred Honey Yogurt. 0% Fat. Yes its thick and rich but very filling due to its high 18% protein and not high in sugars. Fix it up with some berries, pecans, banana etc and it makes for a very tasty treat and its satisfying.
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Definitely Fage 0%! I eat it for breakfast with a couple teaspoons of raspberry jam, fresh raspberries, some flaxseed and chia seeds and 1/4 cup of granola. Absolutely delicious and 24 grams of protein!! :D
  • WannaBLoser2013
    Options
    Fage 0% Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 Container (170g)
    Calories 100
    Calories from fat 0

Total carb 7g
    Proteing 18g
    Sodium 65 mg
    Calcium 20%

I buy it at Publix for $1.39 the small containers. I buy the bigger containers at Walmart because it is cheaper there, but they don't always carry the 170g container for the 0%
  • WannaBLoser2013
    Options
    Kirkland (Costco) is pretty close to the nutrition facts of the 0% fage. Good to know in case I cannot find my favorite I can replace it with this one.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    A lot of Chobani yogurts have up to 19g of sugar in them. I know some people don't care about the sugar content, but it surprised me that there's the same amount of sugar in a cup of Chobani as there is in two bowls of lucky charms.

I haven't tried Fage yet but after today and all of the good reviews I will!

I often eat the Yoplait greek at 100 cals (12g sugar) or the Dannon Light and Fit at 80 cals (7g sugar).
  • jmlosingit
    jmlosingit Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Fage 0%
    2nd choice is Oikos.

I HATE Chobani because it doesn't have the same thick consistency and I can taste that it's loaded with fake sugar! And it tends to be sour...

To sweeten it I add 1/2 to 1 TBS honey and a few shakes of cinnamon

I usually add fruit too (banana, cherries, blueberries, strawberries)

I also add chia seeds for extra protein and omega 3s!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Fage 0%
    2nd choice is Oikos.

I HATE Chobani because it doesn't have the same thick consistency and I can taste that it's loaded with fake sugar! And it tends to be sour...

Chobani doesn't have fake sugar at all. It might taste different though... frankly I can't really tell lol. I usually eat the trader joe's brand, I got some fage this time so I'll try that. And I buy the big container, I just weight my portions.

I don't sweeten it. I just add fruit and sometimes granola.
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You can save on sugar quite a bit by buying plain greek yogurt and adding your own fruit or sweetener.

This is true...

I buy the flavored Chobanis only because it's easier for grab & go and to staore at work than hauling berries and fruit around... I don't have a medical reason to strictly monitor sugar and the majority of my sugar does come from real fruit, so I do indulge in the flavored Chobanis and I don't worry too much about it because I watch sugar overall anyway and other than real fruit/veg, I don't take in too much processed sugar.

So, the best answer to this is plain greek yogurt with your own fruit added.

The second best answer to this is Chobani (flavored) 0%. These have the most protein for the least calories.

Fage and some others may have a few less calories but also have less protein.

Yoplait Greek has more cal (160) for less protein.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Fage 0%
    2nd choice is Oikos.

Umm ... by fake sugar, you mean "cane juice" (derived from sugar cane) .... not aspertame .... right? No aspertame, splenda, saccharine, etc. in Chobani
  • jmlosingit
    jmlosingit Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yes, I guess my wording should have been " It tastes like it's loaded with fake sugar"

Chiobani does not contain any artificial sweeteners. I think that I've had plain for so long that the taste difference is more noticeable for me. It's the same if I eat any other kind of yogurt (yoplait, dannon, etc). My taste buds are just used to plain greek yogurt.