inexpensive eating -- how to keep sodium levels down?

Options
Where I am, fruits and vegetables are cheap and easily accessible year round, regardless of whether it's in season or not. I rarely see a significant price jump for any of it either. It's quite odd in that way. I mean, we grow a lot of zucchini here, but not THIS time of year, so I realize I'm very blessed to have plentiful, cheap food even when it's not in season.

HOWEVER

There are things that are much more expensive for a healthier version. Unseasoned No Name frozen chicken breast, for example, is 1.5 times the price of a box of frozen chicken breast loaded with sodium. There's no way around it. The same thing goes for all no-salt-added off-brand canned goods in my supermarket. It's canned. It shouldn't need to be loaded with salt as preservative. That's the whole point of freaking canning/freezing things. So here's my question for all y'all. How do you keep your sodium down when shopping without breaking the bank? The things I have problems with are frozen meat, canned seafood/vegetables(I don't use canned vegetables typically anyway, but it can be hard to find reasonably priced, no salt added canned salmon or tuna), and cheese. Thoughts or ideas? Frozen is way, way cheaper than fresh, so any way to keep food costs down without added sodium would be appreciated.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Sodium is never a problem for me, mainly because I cook my own food. Chicken breast takes less than 10 minutes to cook. Why buy it boxed and frozen? By a package of fresh raw chicken meat and cook it. You will only get naturally occurring sodium unless you add salt yourself. I don't generally eat canned tuna but the canned salmon I eat it is just salmon and water...any sodium again is naturally occurring.

Stay away from foods with ingredient lists that contain unidentifiable ingredients and your sodium intake will be minimal.
  • BhanGoes
    BhanGoes Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I agree with melsinct. Shop the perimeter of the grocery store to avoid sodium-filled pre-packaged items. If it's not fresh, it's processed. If it's processed, it has preservatives. The most common preservative is salt.

If it's important to you to have less-perishable items, and your nutritional requirements allow for it, consider soy alternatives. I stopped drinking cow's milk because soy milk lasts a LOT longer in the fridge, and the boxed cartons actually don't require refrigeration before opening. I found the tofu, tofu sour cream substitute, tofu yogurt, etc., last for days or weeks longer than their dairy/meat alternates. These items provide the shelf-stability you may be seeking for your lifestyle with the reduced sodium levels beneficial for your diet.

Looking forward to seeing others' input.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Sodium is never a problem for me, mainly because I cook my own food. Chicken breast takes less than 10 minutes to cook. Why buy it boxed and frozen? By a package of fresh raw chicken meat and cook it. You will only get naturally occurring sodium unless you add salt yourself. I don't generally eat canned tuna but the canned salmon I eat it is just salmon and water...any sodium again is naturally occurring.

Stay away from foods with ingredient lists that contain unidentifiable ingredients and your sodium intake will be minimal.
    Because fresh chicken breast is expensive as f***. I buy it raw and frozen.
  • sgtlee13
    sgtlee13 Posts: 66
    Options
    I agree with Bhan. Try different protein alternatives. You can usually find bulk amounts of dried beans, legumes, nuts, seeds, etc. Tofu, tempeh, seitan are also great but may be a bit more expensive if that is important to you. You need a little more time to prep and prepare food this way but it is so worth it. I usually buy coconut milk in the boxes like she spoke of and almond milk yogurt which is another good alternative and has a much longer shelf life than standard dairy products.
    Good luck!
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    If you balance the frozen chicken breasts, canned tuna, etc.. with fresh or frozen vegetables you won't have sodium issues.
    It's only when I eat processed things that I ever go over.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Frozen vegetables are usually as cheap as canned, but often have no added sodium. I'm not sure about the meat. Most frozen meats in my area don't have added salt unless they are seasoned or cooked first. The only canned meat I buy is tuna. I sometimes buy the more expensive low sodium, but usually I just buy the higher sodium kind and don't add salt to any of the things I mix with it so per serving the dish is not too bad.
  • DonnaRenee68
    DonnaRenee68 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Buying whole chickens is much cheaper! Buy some and cut them up and freeze! I use the dark meat parts to make my own salt free chicken broth.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    How much sodium is actually in the cheap frozen chicken breasts? Did they pump it with saline to try and artificially inflate the weight? In which case, you'd probably be better off with the more expensive one anyway, as you are paying for meat, not water!

And how low are you trying to go with your sodium? Do you have hypertension or some other medical condition that requires you to eat a very low sodium diet? I eat a lot of chicken, and that's not what puts me up in the sodium - it's the deli lunch meats and chips that do that ;-)
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same thing as Donna. Buy a whole chicken. Piece it out yourself or cook it whole. After it's cooked, you can freeze the pieces if you want. SO much cheaper!! And you can make your own low sodium chicken stock from the bones (even better if you roast them first!) I am also a huge fan of canned beans. Just rinse them before you use them and don't add extra salt. There are plenty of fresh options on a budget.
  • SusanRathburn
    SusanRathburn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What is your sodium goal?
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    My sodium loading has been a bit on the light side the last few days (I just started tracking sodium and potassium last week). Usually comes in at or a bit less than the 1,500 mg. that is recommended by most nutritionists. I have no idea why the macro here is set at 2500 when the potassium macro is set at 3,500---potassium should be at least half again higher than sodium. If you eat a lot of processed food, your sodium intake can easily be 2 to 3 times your potassium intake. :noway: What I do is to balance the high-sodium foods with high potassium foods. If I want a couple of ounces of cheese (and cheese is one of the worst sodium loaders) I only eat it with vegetables. If you workout and sweat a lot, your sodium will need to be increased but your potassium will need to be increased by a lot more.

I think the reason why a lot of people get exercise "burnout" is when their mineral levels drop--particularly magnesium and potassium. Nature packages both magnesium and potassium together in vegetables and fruit. If you are low in potassium, you will likely also be low in magnesium and sufficient quantities of magnesium ions in the blood are essential to the transport of ATP (energy) to the muscles. We need to eat our veggies! You might want to try the Yellow Pages in your area to look for "naturally raised meat" places that sell directly to consumers. That's what we do. We pay about the same as we would at our local supermarket but it is much better meat. If we want it fresh, (like our Thanksgiving turkey--SO much better than frozen) we order it in advance and pick it up when they call us that it is ready. Supermarket meat is not necessarily "fresh" just because it is unfrozen. Most of the big chains order it in frozen and then thaw it before displaying it. We buy most of our meat frozen but at least it has only been frozen once between producer and our table. You lose nutrients and flavor every time it is frozen and thawed.

In general, processed food tends to be very expensive for the amount of nutrition you are getting. If you are going to eat anything processed, you need to be picky about which ones. I eat about one ounce of Terra Sweet Potato chips every day (I hide them from my hubby because he will eat the whole bag in a day):laugh: . They are very low in sodium and very high in potassium. Just one ounce gives you 357 mg. of potassium (and I think it is 30 mg. of sodium). They don't have additives either.
  • shining_light
    Options
    How much sodium is actually in the cheap frozen chicken breasts? Did they pump it with saline to try and artificially inflate the weight? In which case, you'd probably be better off with the more expensive one anyway, as you are paying for meat, not water!

And how low are you trying to go with your sodium? Do you have hypertension or some other medical condition that requires you to eat a very low sodium diet? I eat a lot of chicken, and that's not what puts me up in the sodium - it's the deli lunch meats and chips that do that ;-)

You're going to love this. The label on the chicken breast I WAS buying says there is *drumroll* 690 mg of sodium per 100 g. Yes, you read that right. So, you may absolutely be correct. The lower sodium chicken breast looks more natural, so I suspect you may be right about adding saline to it. I never, ever thought about it.

And I'm trying to go as low as possible with my sodium. Less than 2500 mg per day, as is recommended, and around 4700 mg with my potassium. Chicken breast is one of the best sources of potassium that I've found(that and tomato paste), so I hit my potassium goal pretty easily, believe it or not. I'm cutting back on milk again, so that's one less potassium source. And I love sweet potatoes, but cutting carbs now. I will eat the sweet potatoes that I have on hand(they're my only starchy food at this point, actually), but they'll be gone soon too. Ideally carbs will soon be entirely high fiber veggies.

Also, for anyone who loves cheese(like me!), I discovered that swiss is the lowest sodium hard cheese that I can find. Otherwise, dry cottage cheese all the way.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

You're going to love this. The label on the chicken breast I WAS buying says there is *drumroll* 690 mg of sodium per 100 g. Yes, you read that right. So, you may absolutely be correct. The lower sodium chicken breast looks more natural, so I suspect you may be right about adding saline to it. I never, ever thought about it.

And I'm trying to go as low as possible with my sodium. Less than 2500 mg per day, as is recommended, and around 4700 mg with my potassium. Chicken breast is one of the best sources of potassium that I've found(that and tomato paste), so I hit my potassium goal pretty easily, believe it or not. I'm cutting back on milk again, so that's one less potassium source. And I love sweet potatoes, but cutting carbs now. I will eat the sweet potatoes that I have on hand(they're my only starchy food at this point, actually), but they'll be gone soon too. Ideally carbs will soon be entirely high fiber veggies.

Also, for anyone who loves cheese(like me!), I discovered that swiss is the lowest sodium hard cheese that I can find. Otherwise, dry cottage cheese all the way.

690 MG. OF SODIUM???!! :noway: That's horrible. They must be injecting saline to bring the weight up.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I just started buying my chicken breasts fresh @ Costco for 40 mg of sodium/4 oz. Buying it frozen was 200 mg/4 oz @ Sam's & King Soopers has it for 80 mg/4 oz fresh. Recently, I've always marinated my chicken in Italian dressing, but @ 300 mg/2 tbs w/ Kraft, I'll be looking into making my own instead.

With the research I have done, it is recommended to have my sodium @ 1500, but no more than 2000. Too much sodium can make my body plateau from too much water retention=plateau. I've upped my potassium & strive for more than 4000. A calculator I saw was 40 x your ideal weight for your potassium level. Avocados, potatoes, & spinach are a few of the high ends for potassium.

As far as finding cheap ways to meat your goals? How much lower do you want to go? Choosing fresh seasonable veggies by shopping around loss leaders will be key to help your budget.
  • 007FatSlayer
    007FatSlayer Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Try a better grocery store-- seriously. Try places that focus on the healthier side of food, like "Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Wegman's, etc." Look up stores like that near you. They will have a better selection of food..I know Wal-Mart sucks with considering healthy (no sodium, organic, etc) food.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

This isn't a new practice in anyway.
    This practice has been going on since the 1970’s. Poultry processors, for example, use special equipment to inject chicken with a saltwater broth and binders that enhance its flavor. Hundreds of tiny needles inject a single chicken passing through a conveyer belt. Apparently, adding salt at home is no match for this technology.

Manufacturers who add sodium and water claim that this is what consumers want. But the difference in sodium per serving can be staggering – 500mg of sodium per serving vs. just 75mg unsalted!

Link: http://blog.fooducate.com/2011/07/22/are-you-buying-meat-but-paying-for-salt-water/

And from Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumping
    Cost to consumers
    Plumped chicken commonly contains 15% of its total weight in saltwater, but in some cases can contain as much as 30%.[1] Since the price of chicken is based on weight, opponents of the practice estimate that shoppers could be paying up to an additional $1.70 per package for added saltwater,[1] with the total annual cost to U.S. families estimated to be $2 billion in added weight charges.[3]

I have to watch my sodium (prediabetes), so I go for the unplumped ones when possible. Keeping below 2500 should be fairly easy if you're not getting 690 mg per piece of chicken!!!
  • shining_light
    Options
    We do not have a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods in my city. Besides, I can get plenty of wholesome food from Superstore for cheap. I also will not buy organic foods. I do not believe in them. I know that sounds bizarre, but I do have my reasons, growing up in a farming community and seeing where my non-organic food comes from and how it's produced. Organic farming practices are unsustainable because they waste massive amounts of resources and land. Organic farming uses about 3 times more land, in fact. I'll sacrifice some immeasurably small amount of health benefit in favor of supporting farmers who minimize deforestation and the like.

I checked the chicken breast labels. Massive discrepancy. Definitely paying for salt water with the boxed variety. 9 grams of protein more per 100 g of the new one. Major ripoff, I'd say. Can't believe that's actually legal here.

I rarely buy food at Walmart because the selection is terrible. I only buy my protein powder there because it's cheaper than buying it anywhere else.
  • shining_light
    Options
    I just started buying my chicken breasts fresh @ Costco for 40 mg of sodium/4 oz. Buying it frozen was 200 mg/4 oz @ Sam's & King Soopers has it for 80 mg/4 oz fresh. Recently, I've always marinated my chicken in Italian dressing, but @ 300 mg/2 tbs w/ Kraft, I'll be looking into making my own instead.

With the research I have done, it is recommended to have my sodium @ 1500, but no more than 2000. Too much sodium can make my body plateau from too much water retention=plateau. I've upped my potassium & strive for more than 4000. A calculator I saw was 40 x your ideal weight for your potassium level. Avocados, potatoes, & spinach are a few of the high ends for potassium.

As far as finding cheap ways to meat your goals? How much lower do you want to go? Choosing fresh seasonable veggies by shopping around loss leaders will be key to help your budget.

I got potassium coming out the wazoo, easily meeting the government recommendation of 4700 mg a day. Part of why I was looking for low-sodium chicken breast was because it's one of the best sources of potassium that I've found and it seems a shame to ruin it with the sodium levels.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    Have you checked out bulk packages of chicken? I can get a "club pack" of chicken breast at my grocery store for $1.99 per pound. Typically around 6-7 pounds in a package. Then I just split it up and freeze it. I also buy meat on special when I can, stuff that is going out of date in a day or two, and freeze it right away.

You could also try checking your local butcher. Prices and quality might be better.
  • JMSemones
    JMSemones Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would like to address the issue of added sodium to canned vegetables....I learned from a nutritionist that works for Scottsdale Healthcare Hospital, that if you buy low sodium versions, and then rinse them with water before cooking...it will cut the sodium in half....same applies to the regular versions....I don't know if that will help you, but it is better than using them as is....I do this for my Mom who is on a low sodium diet for Heart Disease as prescribed by her physician.