I feel lost

Options
I was doing so well - and then last Tuesday I had major surgery - I have been on doctor ordered bed rest for a week and I've gained 3 pounds - I know I'm recovering and can't starve myself but every time I see the scale go up I want to cry - before surgery I was up to working out an hour a day - biking at least 15 miles a night - eating well - now I walk to the bathroom - and was 'allowed' a slow walk around our pond -

How do you deal with such discouragement? I feel so depressed and fat right now. I was 115 pounds my whole life (I'm 5'2) and today I weigh 158 - I just feel lost.

Replies

• BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Don't starve but maybe adjust your calories for now and follow the Dr's orders

Better to heal properly than to mess something up and back track more

Best of luck and get well soon
  • Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Allow yourself the time to recover and then focus on getting back in shape. You'll work your way back into a routine and get back on track in no time. Try to eat sensibly while you're recouperating and have a plan ready when you can start working out again. Small walks, a little lifting etc...
  • BLBrinegar
    Options
    Get well soon! I would agree on allowing yourself some healing time. I've had three major surgeries on my ankle (because I broke it very badly) and I couldn't even walk for four months - I only had crutches or a wheel chair. When I did start walking it was painful and I didn't want to go anywhere because the pain was just horrible.

Make those calories count...think about the fat, sugar and carbs you are eating with those calories. It's easy to gain when you are on bed rest. Don't sweat it too much. It sounds like you were making great progress and you can definately get there again!

Best of luck!
  • CassieJTS
    CassieJTS Posts: 13
    Options
    Please don't be discouraged, depending on the kind of surgery your body may just be retaining more water to help with recovery. If you're not eating enough of a surplus to actually gain body mass (as opposed to just water) then it's probably nothing to worry about. As soon as your body is healed and you're able to work out again, the scale will likely drop right back down.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the scale until you're ready to start everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - back up again.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options
    When you have a surgical procedure, there is going to be inflammation. That would be water based/increased fluid around the injury.

To heal, you are going to need to eat well, not in a deficit. Give yourself a break. Hopefully major surgery isn't something you'll do on a regular basis.

Focus on very healthy eating, drinking a lot of water, and REST.

Stay off the scale!

:flowerforyou: Feel better :flowerforyou:
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    After surgery you are filled with fluid and that weighs a ton! No more weighing yourself! I'd say eat out of hunger not boredom and focus more on healing than losing and you'll do great :flowerforyou:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I gained about 6 pounds in the 6 weeks recovering after major surgery, but don't sweat it. Your body needs to heal. Here's the link to my story:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/918358-they-cut-my-head-open-your-excuse-is-invalid
  • joyfulgeorge
    Options
    That's exactly what I was thinking as I read the post. The body is retaining water. It's too soon to be gaining actual weight. You might actually lose some weight because of muscle loss though - and that's not good weight to lose. Just watch the calories and do things you can do. You might not be able to walk but can you lift small weights or use bands or even just isometrics. Just find where the path leads and keep going. You can do it.
  • butterfly3703
    Options
    Yes! Just adjust your calories. Give yourself time to heal and you WILL bounce back!