running?

Options
Ive just started working out for the first time in my life and I'm currently working on the 30ds with some walking/pushup/situps basic kinda stuff.. but I want to run!
The last time I even went for a run was probably 6 years ago in high school gym class :/
any tips on how to get started without straining myself too much and being too terribly sore??
Would it be bad to go for a run late at night before bed? cuz with my schedule that seems like the only time I'll have.

any kind of suggestions would help!
thanks in advance :):)

Replies

• Heliox
    Heliox Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Check out C25K, that's couch to 5k. It's a program that eases you into running. I just started but it's highly recommended around here. There are free apps for your smartphone that help guide your runs too.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is a great way to start running. Just google it or C25K (as it is commonly abbreviated) and you can get the 9 week training schedule. There are also loads of podcasts to download for it as well.

There's nothing wrong with running at night. I run when I have the time so that can be day, night or afternoon. Just make sure you give yourself enough rest as well.

HAVE FUN!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I began running last May using the C25K app for my phone and found this worked really well. Now my normal during the week runs are between 6 and 8 miles and longer for my weekend "long" run. I run very early in the morning (4 a.m.) with my running partner Haley (85 pounds of loving German Shepherd). I personally don't think I would be able to fall asleep after a good run so running before bed does not sound promising to me. Enjoy!
  • grapefruitannie
    grapefruitannie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    C25K heres a link to the programme training plan http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml have fun xx
  • crystalnichle
    crystalnichle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of that! I'm deff going to check it out tho! Thanks guys!
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Just a word of caution...IT CAN become addicting...lol
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Invest in a good pair of shoes get fitted at a reputable local running store. Once you get your size/style/name then get it from where ever. Cannont emphasise this enough. I always wore a 12 so I ran with a 12 my feet were always sore and hurting just figured thats the way it was. Evuentually got fitted for a size 13 and no more issues well not in regareds to shoe size.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Don't push too hard off the bat. I just hurt myself when I did that...continually...for months...over and over... I swear I'm not stubborn. Then I slowed down and built up to where I can do 4 miles at a time 3 mornings a week. I never tried the C25K, but lots of others have and had great success. Probably a smarter rout than I chose.

Personally I would say use that evening time to sleep (poor wording) and wake up earlier to run:) I actually found that I could "always" find something else to do in the evenings. That, or my wife and daughter could find something else for me to do. No one bothers me in the morning so it is easier (besides the waking up part) to schedule the runs and stick with the schedule. You get used to waking up fairly quickly and asctually start to look forward to it as the start of your day.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Just a word of caution...IT CAN become addicting...lol

^^This.... and even if you don't love it (or even like running)... it becomes addictive.

I don't like running... yet I run all the time. Just.can't.stop.
  • Sara056155
    Sara056155 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started doing 30DS and C25K on alternating days this past Friday and I've already lost a pound. I've always hated running (my shins would start killing me after about 5 seconds), but I got some good running shoes and insoles and so far so good. C25K really eases you into it. The first week you only run for 60 seconds at time.
  • RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I didn't do the C25K...hadn't even heard of it, but from what I gather, I did basically the same thing. I wen't slow and took my time. I would also suggest a good warm up walk before every run ( I do 5 min at a brisk pace). At least till you get to know your body a little.

I started with 30 minutes....I walked 10, then ran till I was starting to get tired, then walked the rest. If I wasn't too sore the next day, I would try and run a little more. Kept adding till I could walk 5, run 20, walk 5. Then I gradually added a couple minutes, or went a little faster. Doing it this way has kept me pain free so far.