Protein

Options
Without consuming massive amounts of high calorie foods, what are options for high protein, healthy fat, low carb snacks? I know peanut butter, nuts, etc. But does anyone have other ideas?

Replies

• kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Lean beef, chicken & turkey breast, fish, eggs, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beans legumes.
  • jennyrae3
    jennyrae3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use the fiberone protien bars, they taste great (no cardboard after taste) and only 90 clories per bar. It's my between meals snack and helps me stay within my dailty calorie goal of 1100-1200.
    I also use an egg white omelette, with veggies. Depending on what all u put in it, it's low calorie and heathly, I'll even substitue that for a meal sometimes.
  • MistressAella
    MistressAella Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt
    Protein Shake
    Home Made Protein Bars

I have others, but I don't know if you'd consider them "snacks" lol. I eat small meals 5-6 times a day, so for me a wrap with 3-4 ounces of chicken breast and vegies is a "snack". :)
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider peanut butter or nuts as protein sources. I consider them fat sources. Proteins: chicken breast or thighs, tilapia, salmon, turkey, lean beef, lean pork, cheese, Canadian bacon, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, whey powders, eggs, some count quinoa or lentils although I count them more for their carb properties.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Egg whites. Between those and chicken, I was finally able to hit my protein numbers yesterday without killing my calories.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    CAnned/smoked salmon
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Lean beef, chicken & turkey breast, fish, eggs, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beans legumes.

This!
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    canned tuna. :)
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I also found Jennie 0 99/1 ground turkey great for my protein. Even higher than my chicken. It changes it up a bit! Revolution protein bars are Awesome!!!!! 180cals and 20g of Protein. Eat Right look Great has yummy options in bars and shakes.....
    Premier Protein has 160 cals and 30g of Protein. They are easy but really at the end of the day nothing beats real food!
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    tuna is pretty good. any seafood really but canned tuna is pretty easy to prepare.
  • NavyMommy
    NavyMommy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My favorites are low fat greek yogurt (I like Dannon Light and Fit Greek, 80 cal and 12g protein) and cottage cheese (1/2 cup is 80-90 cal and 12-14g protein depending on the brand you buy). I usually add some fruit canned in juice to it just to add some sweetness and flavor, but I know some people like it on salads. Feel free to check out my diary, I eat 1400-1600 cal a day (1500 is my goal but I allow myself a buffer) and aim for at least 110-120g protein.
  • IronFiend
    IronFiend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Nuts and nut butters are very high calorie - fat has 9 calories per gram, whereas carbs and protein have 4 calories per gram.
  • raythrasher
    raythrasher Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use Whey Protein powder to increase my protein intake without significantly increasing Fat and Carbs. Just mix a scoop with 8 oz water and drink and you can add 25 - 30g of protein to your diet without even chewing. There are many brands and flavors to choose from. I personally prefer Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Isolate Vanilla Creme. Provides 30g protein and tastes great. My wife likes it too.
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    2 egg omelet with lowfat cheese, and ham turkey or chicken, and spinach. Pretty much anything you can do to an egg is cool. I like deviled eggs as a snack, just put a small amount of miracle whip in.
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    tuna is pretty good. any seafood really but canned tuna is pretty easy to prepare.

This! Seafood is great! I buy frozen shrimp that's easy to thaw and toss in some olive oil. You can usually buy prepackaged frozen cod/tilapia fillets, too! Also protein shakes or bars; but be careful with bars, they tend to be high in carb so the ratio is off. I usually try to eat foods with a higher protein amount than carbs, but what works for one doesn't always work for another!

Good luck, OP!
  • IMD918
    IMD918 Posts: 49
    Options
    Nuts are actually a very good source of protein. The problem is that it is hard to find them unsalted or unseasoned. All the added sodium is the killer.
  • Green_eyed_beauty
    Green_eyed_beauty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My diet consists of 6 "meals" including the following for protien - 5 of which are high protein.
    1 - 1oz lean steak & 4 egg whites = 22g protien, 1g fat
    2 - 4oz chicken = 23g protein, 3g fat
    3 - 4oz chicken = 23 g protein, 3 g fat
    4 - 2oz can of tuna in water = 22g protein, 1g fat
    5 - 4oz tailapia = 30g protein, 1g fat

Just some ideas for you
  • danielle_jeanne
    danielle_jeanne Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you all *so* much. I can't wait to go to the grocery store!