Anyone have a Nike Fuelband?

Options
I've been looking for a wearable monitor and have come across this one online - has anyone got one and what's your verdict? Thanks!

Replies

• CCNYE63
    CCNYE63 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My husband has been using the Nike Fuelband for about a year now, and he's had a lot of problems with it. Nike has already replaced it 6 times, but I think they've finally worked the bugs out of it.

Anyway, it works well for him as it gets him to exercise. He's at work 10 hours a day, sitting at a desk, and he commutes an hour each way. He wants to reach his goal everyday, so he'll try to get out for a walk at lunch, use the stairs, park at the farthest spot, etc. Usually, that doesn't give him enough points, so he'll go to the gym, or for a walk, at night.

I don't like the point system, as I can't figure out how they're calculated. They're not calories, but Nike's own measure of energy. You set your goals, so he sets it at 2000 each weekday, and 3000 each on saturday and sunday.

So, if you need some motivation to exercise, and you don't care what the numbers mean, then it's great if your arms are moving when you exercise. Biking won't earn you points, but you can cheat by waving your arm around while sitting. In other words, he got a lot more points playing Wii tennis while sitting on the couch than he did by riding the bike at the gym at a fast pace for 30 minutes.
  • kirsty736
    kirsty736 Posts: 65
    Options
    Ah it doesn't sound as good as Apple makes out then :( lol
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Apple and Nike have a partnership - it will probably never sync with MFP. I own a Fuelband and I say dodge it, its a glorifed (and overpriced) watch SLASH pedometer, "fuel points" don't mean anything to anyone, there are many buggy devices, support is lackluster and they don't do anything to improve firmware and calculations.

They are however cute, bright and now come in a wide assortment of color options and it lights up and stuff (if you're into that).
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Had one.. wore it for a week, hated it... If you want something like that but better.. I say go all in and get the Fitbit Zip
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is making a wristband similar to the fuelband but it syncs to MFP. It hasn't been released yet but you can sign up to get the email when it does, its supposed to be about $100.

Heres the link: http://www.fitbit.com/flex
  • Lady_eve928
    Options
    A friend of mine has the Fitbit Zip and she loves it! I am thinking of getting one myself...
  • rach503
    rach503 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit Zip and I LOVE it!!! I can't say enough about it, it is so worth the investment ($60 I think...).
  • lisanume
    lisanume Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have a FITBIT ONE. I love it. it has really motivated me. I now get almost twice the excersise as I was before i got it. I find myself taking the stairs at work, taking walks at breaks, and going the long way to get to other offices, even if I have to go down the stairs then back up the other side! ;)
    Well worth the $100 bucks I paid for it. it is priceless! It also calculates CALORIES OUT... including what it takes just to live.
  • michknd
    michknd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't have the Nike Fuelband, I do have the Fitbit one though & love it! it's small enough that it just lives in my bra all day. It does have a little holster with a clip if you want to wear it that way. It syncs up with MFP too. I too wanted something wearable, but didn't want everyone to be able to see it.
  • shadowsaround
    Options
    I have a motoactv and love it. it counts your calorie burn real time.
  • purpleluvet
    purpleluvet Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has a Nike Fuelband and he loves it. He's a server and manager at a restaurant. Yesterday he had walked 18, 000 steps equaling about 7 miles. He always reaches his goal (he probably needs to increase it).
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    I have a fuelband and love it. But I'm a complete tech-head!! The catch is you have to understand it's purpose. It tracks your activity for the entire day. I solely use it as a guideline to how active I've been for the day. If I'm no where near my goal it just lets me know that I need to do some type of activity to meet or pass my goal.

If nothing else it's an over priced and awesome looking watch!!! haha!

Fuelband me @bsix3
  • blkpag1
    blkpag1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a fuelband and really like using it. You have to realize that it is just another measurement to use like I use miles ridden, weight lifted, etc. It helps me compare how much I am moving around in my daily activities.
  • kgeer31
    kgeer31 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    loved mine until ~8mos the lights started going out and now I can't tell what it's reading. Works great, website sucks though. My sister replaced hers 4x b4 finally getting a full refund in less than 6mos.
    If you look at the new fitbit band, it has no digital readout...food for thought.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I've been looking for a wearable monitor and have come across this one online - has anyone got one and what's your verdict? Thanks!

I have been using my fuel band since the first day they were launched...and I LOVE it..never ever had a problem with it and it just kicks *kitten*..

you must understand that a fuel band is NOT a HRM of any description..a fuel band is just a measure of activity. It uses similar technology to a nintendo wii controller and converts movement into ' nike fuel'...the idea being that you could earn the same fuel points playing tennis as a pro tennis player would..it rewards you with 'effort'...and it gets additive to try and be more active than you were the day before.

Fitbits?? well, I know people use them, they too are a measure of activity and even sleep.

Nike fuel band is beyond cool in terms of design, style, simplicity and looks...but just remember..it is not a replacement for a good HRM!
  • sfmacgirl
    sfmacgirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I suggest the Jawbone UP... My husband got one for me for my birthday and it's amazing. It's tracks everything from your activity levels to your sleeping patterns. And it's more discreet than the Nike Fuel Band.

Checkout their website for more in-depth information if interested.

https://jawbone.com/up

-Erin
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I like it....It's fun and gets me to be more active.....but if you are looking for the best device I would suggest the fitbit. I have both....The fitbit is cheaper and a better overall device.

oh and to add....to others that have had issues....I had to replace one fuelband because the link connection wouldn't hold anymore. Got gunked up. I just replaced it again because it stopped charging.....but whenever they replace it you start with a new 1 year warranty so I am not complaining. I have had one for about a year. I lost my fitbit once.....and they sent me a new one. Both seem to have good customer service.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Do you really want something you have to wear as a wristband all the time? Would annoy the hell out of me and catch on door handles, bags etc. I have a fitbit ultra that I wear on my bra and nobody needs to know it's there and if you're dressed up for the night it's not clashing with your finery!
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Another fitbit lover here!!! It really motivates me to MOVE....love it!!

Marie
  • kirsty736
    kirsty736 Posts: 65
    Options
    Thanks everyone- will have to research fitbits now :)