Going on a mini vacation and concerned about gaining

Options
So my husband and I are going on a 4 day mini vacation just to get away and enjoy ourselfs. I'm looking forward to the time away with my man i'm crazy about but i'm so worried about gaining a lot of weight.. So what we're thinking is spending a night in Calgary AB and go to the zoo (So all day walking around) and the 2 nights in Banff where we're thinking of going canoeing, mountain biking or spulunking. I"m worried that yes we are going to be very active but with that the treat and eating out i'm still going to gain weight. What would you recomened i could do to lower the impact on my body? I plan on carrying water on my at all times but we i know there are going to be more burgers in my diet then normal.. BTW Eddy's burgers in bannf has a amazing elk burger, nothing speaks more canadian then a elk burger. Also i want to get a hotel with a gym so i can workout.

Replies

• MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I would enjoy your holiday with your husband and eat like you're maintaining. Ie. Eat what you would eat if you're not on your diet anymore. That's the amount you don't gain any weight, nor lose any. That allows for some great elk burgers, but maybe not the double chocolate mouse icecream berry pie :)

Ie. Pick some meals to splurge some calories on and eat healthy the rest of the time.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS find a way to workout on vacation. It's a lifestyle I'm not willing to give up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Practice intuitive eating...i.e. listen to your body...eat when you're hungry and stop when you're satisfied. If you've established a diet (noun) that is sustainable, you should have plenty of food options to select from regardless of whether your dining out or in...just stick to your dietary lifestyle, practice portion control, and have fun...EZ-PZ.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    4 days isn't going to make you gain anything more than water weight unless you pig out and gorge yourself.. Just enjoy.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Eat the Elk burger and have fun! Just don't stuff yourself & do your workouts. :flowerforyou:
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'll be going on a 3 day beach vacation next week. I don't think I'll be as active as it sounds like you will be, but I plan to use the hotel gym as well as walking and swimming. Right now I'm experimenting with my maintainance calories and I'm going to take the opportinity to try more intuitve eating. I'll try to make good choices while enjoying myself with my friends. For me the biggest challenge will be not boozing too much. At the end of it, a few days is not going to make that much difference. Even if I manage to consume 5,000 calories a day I might gain 2-3 pounds which I will take a few weeks to work off again. Well worth it for a good vacation with friends.
    Drink lots of water, excercise, eat good food, have a good time.
  • Jonette01
    Jonette01 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you girlie! I'm going to Vegas this weekend and I heard their buffets were amazing

I think I'm most concerned about drinking than over eating. I'm on the Isagenix 30day system which has been wonders in building lean muscle and cutting visceral fat (fat around your organs) and I'm vegetarian.... but I doubt the food can be considered "eating clean" :sick:

What I plan to do is continue with MFP (use the app if necessary) and count my calories so even if I do eat, I'll still be within the calorie limits for maintaining/losing desired weight :drinker:

Either way, sounds like you're going to have a blast...enjoy your boo! :love:
  • Lola_Rogers
    Lola_Rogers Posts: 107
    Options
    Thats what ive been exactly going thorugh right now. We are in salem, nc for a 2 day confence and theres free food and drinks so its very very difficult to say no and i probably gained 2 pounds.. :((
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Just relax and enjoy life. It looks like you're going to be active. You can also make little helpful switches, like a side salad instead of fries or something.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    4 days? Don't worry about it. Seriously - you're not going to gain much more than water weight unless you really try.
  • i_luv_irs
    i_luv_irs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I took a mini break from eating only healthy and within my calorie limit but still stayed active. I didn't gain or lose. It was fine and I enjoyed my nachos and pizza and sweet potato fries :-)
    I say you try to make good food choices and stay active and you'll enjoy your time away!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Thats what ive been exactly going thorugh right now. We are in salem, nc for a 2 day confence and theres free food and drinks so its very very difficult to say no and i probably gained 2 pounds.. :((

The average women's maintenance calories are right around 2,000...so in order to have gained 2 Lbs of actual fat in 2 days you would have had to consume roughly 5,500 calories per day for those two days (11,000 calories total for 2 days)...doable...sure...but my guess is you'd be rather ill. Personally, I'd be puking my guts out before I ever got there and I'm a dude that can eat. My guess is that you've stressed about it so much that you've actually eaten far less than you think you have.

This is science people....it is almost impossible to put on actual fat or lose actual fat over the course of a few days.
  • suewestcountry
    suewestcountry Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I went on one in february for my birthday to Belgium home of amazing chocolate and Belgian beer. I didnt lose any weight but I didnt gain any either I just didnt over indulge. It just felt right not to pig out each night. Im off tomorrow to France and I dont expect to put weight on there either. But if I do then so be it I can always lose it again. Enjoy your holiday:happy:
  • Lola_Rogers
    Lola_Rogers Posts: 107
    Options

The average women's maintenance calories are right around 2,000...so in order to have gained 2 Lbs of actual fat in 2 days you would have had to consume roughly 5,500 calories per day for those two days (11,000 calories total for 2 days)...doable...sure...but my guess is you'd be rather ill. Personally, I'd be puking my guts out before I ever got there and I'm a dude that can eat. My guess is that you've stressed about it so much that you've actually eaten far less than you think you have.

This is science people....it is almost impossible to put on actual fat or lose actual fat over the course of a few days.

So you say i will be fine if i get back on regular eating? So heres my issue.. What i do is, i dont eat all day because i know im going out for dinner,right..so i dont eat all day and when i start eating at the dinner (a regular meal) my stomach expands and stretches and hurts so bad that i cant eat anymore and it stays like that the next day.and thats when i weigh heavier. is that water weight? Or the dinner from last night?