Always tired...?? Ideas? Help please... :/

Options
Hey everyone! My name is Kelly and recently have began here on MFP...Before officially starting here I was beginning to watch what I was eating and my diet progressivly changed...so its been about 2 1/2 weeks since I switched to being aware and 4 days since I have fully been on MFP logging and changing habits fully...I have noticed recently it seems as if I am always tired...anyone have this? Looking over myself I get 6-8 hours of sleep a night, exercise atleast 4-5 days a week, eat lots of veggies fruits grains dairy protein (feel like I am getting a good variety), my vitamin is hit or miss...I am not consistant and really need to make it a point to take it each day...I dont know that if me being tired could be just because of the sudden changes I have made (which are positive), the weather with the pollen (i have horribleeeee allergies), or if because I am watching what I am eating maybe I am not getting a full nutrient?? I know I do not eat much red meat. I do like twice a month IF that...I heard if your low in iron it makes you extremely tired...anyone feel this way? or have gone through a period of always being tired and have taken or done something that changed it around?? One of my close friends was always tired years ago and when she went to the doctors she found she was deficent in iron and her doctor told her to take an iron pill each day...many of my "symptoms" are similar to what she always explained to me before she went to the doctors...but idk it could be something different...maybe I should try make it a point to take my vitamin each day and maybe try the iron pill? what are your thoughts? advice? has this happened to you and a certain thing worked for you?? I am just getting tired of being tired all the time. Its uncomfortable and honestly EXHAUSTING! haha Thanks so much ahead!

Replies

• anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It could also be your thyroid, I would suggest that if you haven't already, go to see your doctor, tell him/her about your symptoms & the recent changes, ask for a completely blood work up (thyroid, iron, liver etc) so that you will know for certain if its anything that can be helped with meds or simply your body adjusting to all the changes. I've had thyroid problems for almost 5yrs now & I am on meds for life, I started on MFP in early Feb & to date have lost 28lbs so I am going in tomorrow morning to see my doctor, give him an update as he has no clue I've started to lose weight & to have my thyroid checked. Before I got on meds I was exhausted ALL the time, so much so that I thought I was preg in the beginning (was trying for #2 but had just had a miscarriage few mths prior which brought on the thyroid issues). My levels were completely crazy, it took a while to get them back on track but they've been stable now for a year or so. However if they aren't stable they can hinder my progress which is why I plan to have them rechecked every few mths & meds adjust accordingly.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    How many calories are you eating daily?
  • meghadeath
    meghadeath Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    pregnant?
  • OneTrackMind7
    Options
    My thyroid can cause that?? Just blood work I can get done?

I eat 1350-1400 cals a day and NO not pregnant for sure! Lol
  • jasmine_noel
    jasmine_noel Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Major diet & activity change, allergies, iron & Vitamin B deficiency are all reasonable explanations...
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    My thyroid can cause that?? Just blood work I can get done?

I eat 1350-1400 cals a day and NO not pregnant for sure! Lol

Up your intake by about 200 and see if that helps.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    wow
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    And you can try sublingual B12 if you don't eat a lot of meat. Might improve your energy level. But I also agree with upping your cals a bit.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    When I'm tired, I use periods and paragraphs to give myself a break.

:wink: :flowerforyou:

Seriously, it sounds like several of your ideas might be the cause. You could up your calories a bit. Take a vitamin/iron supplement to be sure you've got that stuff covered and maybe visit a Dr. if you don't feel better in a week or so.
    If it is nutrition, it won't take you long to bounce back.
  • OneTrackMind7
    Options
    wow

Wow what?
  • OneTrackMind7
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!!! It's greatly appreciated! I'm a little hesitant in upping my calories considered its difficult to eat the 1400. I do joy believe in forcing myself to eat if not hungry and I can get my 1400 on without feeling like I'm stuffing myself...I am going to try the supplements and see if I notice changes. Ill do that first and then go from there. :)
  • jhealy1191
    jhealy1191 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    And you can try sublingual B12 if you don't eat a lot of meat. Might improve your energy level. But I also agree with upping your cals a bit.

B-12 has helped me tremendously. It takes a couple weeks to get in your system but worth it. Your body could also be adjusting to the new foods and eating. Hang in there!
  • beautifuldiskize
    Options
    I would definitely see a doctor about this and tell them in detail about your diet/daily routines. It will be worth it.
  • missymere
    missymere Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with upping your calories by a few hundred. I was going through a similar situation a few weeks ago, and ended up increasing my calories from 1200 to 1720. Wow, I feel so much better and the weight is coming off like crazy! I do not eat meat, just lots of dark green leafy veg instead. Probably smart to check with your doctor, as the above posters mentioned. Good luck!
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Did it start when you began your diet? Getting enough protein? Depressed? Could be thyroid. If you were anemic, your periods would have likely been affected too.
  • OneTrackMind7
    Options
    Did it start when you began your diet? Getting enough protein? Depressed? Could be thyroid. If you were anemic, your periods would have likely been affected too.

Yes began after my new lifestyle started...protein is a focus of mind lots of it...always above n beyond daily goal...and no nit depressed!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    You really should talk to your doctor about it. Some simple lab work could diagnose any medical issue. It could be low iron, thyroid issue, or diet. Be sure and ask your doctor to check your iron before taking any supplements. Too much iron in your body can be harmful or dangerous to your health.

Be sure and ask your doctor to check your ferritin levels, which is essentially iron stores. You can have normal hemoglobin but still be anemic if your ferritin is too low.

Good luck to you and I hope you get it figured out soon. I went through a period of being very tired and found out I was anemic. It was not a fun time at all! However, it can be easily corrected with the right iron supplement.
    Take care!
  • LR1964
    LR1964 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can relate, Im always tired too. My doctor told me I needed b12 and I also take other vit too. I also started taking heep hearts. I take 3 tbsp a day, I cant believe the energy it gives me. I sprinkle it on my cereal, salads or whatever. My daughter tried it and has said the same thing and its good for you. Maybe worth a try.