anyone have a low(er) cal zucchini bread recipe?

Options
MisdemeanorM
MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
My garden has started churning out zukes and i LOVE LOVE LOVE zucchini bread - unfortunately, it falls more under the category of junk food than of vegetables...

I was hoping this year to find a recipe that still tastes good but that has fewer calories than the full on regular zucchini bread. I imagine that alternatives for the globs of sugar and veg oil would be starting places. I have never tried applesauce in the bread before.

I have quite a few zukes and 3 plants going strong, so I have some room for trial and error to find one I like!

My normal recipe is something like 500 cals per 1" slice...

Replies

• marybethbeech
    Options
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=368527

That one has 87 calories per serving. I haven't tried it yet, but I saved it a few weeks ago in anticipation of my zucchinis being ready.
  • marybethbeech
    Options
    This is just an add on to my post.

The recipe has great reviews, and there is a post in the comment section from a lady who made a few modifications and got it down to under 50 calories per serving.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a great idea! There are MANY if you Google Low Fat Zucchini Bread. Not all have nutrition facts. Here are a couple of links I found.....

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1725,159161-239205,00.html

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/bakedgoods/r/zucchinibread.htm

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Low-fat-Zucchini-Bread-57258
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I will have to go find my recipe and come back, but I know I have totally replaced the oil with applesauce (unsweetened) and it was great!
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    bump

Lovin' the zuccini bread!!!
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    tee hee - bump again for more recipes?? :bigsmile:
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=368527

That one has 87 calories per serving. I haven't tried it yet, but I saved it a few weeks ago in anticipation of my zucchinis being ready.

made this last night and it was delicious!
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    I'm going to the store for some eggs (or egg mixer) and some WW flour and going to try this - not sure if I will include any stevia or splenda or just skip that part though - it's so expensive. Anyone ever try it with just the 1 cup of sugar and skip the other cup of sugar substitute?
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    I'm making 2 batches of bread right now. My first time ever - I'm making 1 batch (2 loaves) for hubby, and 1 batches for me! Mine is a lower cal versio n. I followed the standard zucchini bread recipe but substituted:

Brown Rice Flour (instead of white flour)
    Unsweetened apple sauce instead of veg. oil
    Calorie free sugar substitute that includes a probiotic

I'll let you know how it turns out!
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    i tried the first recipe listed and it turned out... well... let's just say I think I did something wrong and that my 3 yr old is going to be eating A LOT of zucchini bread by himself (he eats anything!)

Maybe I just used too much zucchini, but it would not set up to bake. Even after an hour and a half the outside was burning and the inside was still gooey. Both the big and the small loaves (as small as muffin sized) would not set up, so it's not that I made too big of loaves. My oven also cooked a cake just fine the same day... so not the oven.

I finally just took them out and they ended up more like that apple cobbler bread than zucchini bread - you know, the kind that is sort of the texture of baked apples? It also does not taste the greatest. I think I am definitely NOT a fan of the artificial sweetener!

I'm just happy now that I forgot the walnuts so I did not waste $15 worth of nuts!

Anyway - any suggestions? I did squeeze out the zucchini, but maybe I rounded the cups and put in too much.

I have 3 more zucchini to work with - enough for a 3-4 times batch, plus three plants... so, hopefully I can get a batch done that I like before the summer is over!
  • Bee28
    Bee28 Posts: 99
    Options
    I use applesauce and half sugar half splenda in my usual recipe and it tasted like the real thing.

This is a banana zucchini bread recipe that is sooo good, i used applesauce and half splenda. Omit the chocolate chips to save more cals. I think it was like 195 cals per slice (16 slices total) with chocolate chips and the nuts.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/breads/banana-zucchini-bread-with-chocolate-chunks-and-toasted-walnuts/
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    I use applesauce and half sugar half splenda in my usual recipe and it tasted like the real thing.

This is how I did it. I could taste the Splenda pretty bad and the texture was way wrong. I need to retry with less zucchini.
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    ooh - i finally figured out what mine turned out like! Ever have those apple pancakes that come in the giant cast iron pans and are as big as a deep dish pizza? My bread is exactly the texture of that. Works well for apple pancakes... not so well for zuke bread...
  • azgal
    azgal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't know about Low Cal zucchini bread, but here's and idea.

Cut up an entire zucchini, sautee in olive oil until soft, add 1 can of diced tomatoes itialian style, then top with Parmesan cheese.

It makes a great side dish and you can have a lot for the calories :)

My Mom's own reciepe!
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    I might try that sautéed thing - I'm a little burnt out on the zuke bread disappointed for now :( My zucchini bread actually ended up leaking the whole bottom of the bag and containers they are in has a thick layer of liquid the consistency (though not oiliness) of olive oil. I'm pretty sure zuke bread is not supposed to leak...