Pureed Cauliflower My New Mashed Potato

Options

Replies

• BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I like potatoes.

I also like cauliflower.

I have never had any problem in telling the difference between the two of them.
  • Cmmf1234
    Cmmf1234 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this idea! I am going to give it a try.
  • Mom4Liz
    Mom4Liz Posts: 55
    Options
    I love puréed cauliflower. It doesn't taste like mashed potatoes but it tastes good. You can steam or boil the cauliflower or oven roast it. You cook it until it is very soft. I like to add a little chicken broth a teeny bit of cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and cardamom. I like middle eastern food and that spice combination with a splash of chicken broth tastes like a dish called maqloobeh. You just purée it all in the food processer.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I tried pureed cauliflower the other day... idk what I did wrong, but it tasted NOTHING like mashed potatoes and kinda made me wanna vomit. I was super disappointed.

I'd rather just eat mashed potato than put myself or anyone I know through something like this.
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been using zucchini that's been julienned (long thin strips) in place of regular pasta noodles.
    Its sturdy enough to have a good "chew" when eating it and it doesnt add any weird flavors if topped with spaghetti sauce or a cheese sauce.

To make the noodles, I sprinkle the julienned zucchini with sea salt, then place the "noodles" in a single layer on top of paper towels to draw out extra moisture for about 30 minutes. Scoop up the noodles and pat them to get rid of the excess salt.

Toss in a pan with a litlte olive oil until warm. Nice and al dente!!

If I want a cheesey "alfredo" style sauce, I'll throw in a wedge of Laughing Cow lite cheese, a pinch of butter, and a splash of almond milk. Yum!!! Even my son and husband will eat the noodles when I prep it this way.

When I saw these stats (rough estimate for the same size serving), I was VERY eager to try the zucchini and I like it!
    200 calories of spaghetti noodles vs. 28 calories in zucchini noodles
    39 carbs in spaghetti noodles vs. 2.7 carbs in zucchini noodles
    6.3g protein in spaghetti noodles vs. 0.5g protein in zucchini noodles
    0.7g fat in spaghetti noodles vs. 1.7g fat in zucchini noodles

Edited to add:
    I make these noodles so often that I bought a julienne peeler from amazon to make quick work of the job.
    I can make the noodle strips in less than 5 minutes using this peeler:
    http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Julienne-Protector-Stainless/dp/B0000CEWJD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365622925&sr=8-1&keywords=julienne+peeler
    I love julienne zucchini noodles too! I like them with a bit of butter, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese. :-) 34nh01g.jpg
  • SarahDavs
    Options
    can someone post how to mash cauliflower. the last time I tried it, it was not mashed at all and no one like it
    so a recipe to follow would be grreat
    Someone explain to me how to make this. I have tried and it doesn't turn out looking or tasting like mashed potatoes, its lumpy, am I not cooking it long enough? HELP!

it's because you're being lied to

Obviously not everyone has the same opinion. That's ok. This is just my opinion.
  • Mom4Liz
    Mom4Liz Posts: 55
    Options
    Lately I've been using zucchini that's been julienned (long thin strips) in place of regular pasta noodles.
    Its sturdy enough to have a good "chew" when eating it and it doesnt add any weird flavors if topped with spaghetti sauce or a cheese sauce.

To make the noodles, I sprinkle the julienned zucchini with sea salt, then place the "noodles" in a single layer on top of paper towels to draw out extra moisture for about 30 minutes. Scoop up the noodles and pat them to get rid of the excess salt.

Toss in a pan with a litlte olive oil until warm. Nice and al dente!!

If I want a cheesey "alfredo" style sauce, I'll throw in a wedge of Laughing Cow lite cheese, a pinch of butter, and a splash of almond milk. Yum!!! Even my son and husband will eat the noodles when I prep it this way.

When I saw these stats (rough estimate for the same size serving), I was VERY eager to try the zucchini and I like it!
    200 calories of spaghetti noodles vs. 28 calories in zucchini noodles
    39 carbs in spaghetti noodles vs. 2.7 carbs in zucchini noodles
    6.3g protein in spaghetti noodles vs. 0.5g protein in zucchini noodles
    0.7g fat in spaghetti noodles vs. 1.7g fat in zucchini noodles

Edited to add:
    I make these noodles so often that I bought a julienne peeler from amazon to make quick work of the job.
    I can make the noodle strips in less than 5 minutes using this peeler:
    http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Julienne-Protector-Stainless/dp/B0000CEWJD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365622925&sr=8-1&keywords=julienne+peeler
    I love julienne zucchini noodles too! I like them with a bit of butter, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese. :-) 34nh01g.jpg

That looks amazing!
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I tried mashed cauliflower. It wasn't horrible, I would eat it again. Maybe as a veggie side to a big steak and some mashed potatoes.. mhhmmmm
  • maggiet63
    maggiet63 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    gonna try it thanks x
  • SarahDavs
    Options
    I love mashed cauliflower (and let's face it, it's not mashed. you must use either a food processor or blender or you will end up with a weird mess). However, it is NOT mashed potatoes, doesn't taste like mashed potatoes, and is not even a remote substitute for mashed potatoes. They LOOK exactly the same, which is not what you're going for, unless you're a food photographer. Anyway. Eat the dang potatoes, they're good for you. :smile:
    ^I'm not saying potatoes are bad for you, but I am trying to eat foods that rate lower then 55 on the glycemic index scale. Boiled red potatoes I can eat, but very few, and they are pretty small. Mashed potatoes have a rating of 70 on the glycemic index. Cauliflower rates at 15. So for me this is a great replacement for potatoes. :-)
  • mgpage
    mgpage Posts: 123
    Options
    I made mashed cauliflower for dinner one night and didn't tell my kids. They both told me those were the best mashed potatoes I had ever made. Of course they were shocked when I told them it wasn't potatoes and now they ask for mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes.
  • SarahDavs
    Options
    I made mashed cauliflower for dinner one night and didn't tell my kids. They both told me those were the best mashed potatoes I had ever made. Of course they were shocked when I told them it wasn't potatoes and now they ask for mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes.
    My 10 year old loves them too. :-)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    NO_zps1330dd61.jpg
  • SarahDavs
    Options
    tbresina, I posted how I make them on the 4th post down on the 2nd page of this thread. But you can find all sorts of recipes from google or on pinterest too. :-)
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has a fantastic cauliflower lemon "pudding." out. of. this. WORLD!
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has a fantastic cauliflower lemon "pudding." out. of. this. WORLD!

I must see this!
  • SarahDavs
    Options

I must see this!
    me too! Thanks for telling us about it. I love skinnytaste. :-)
  • rhibhi
    rhibhi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    BUMP to try later!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I love mashed cauliflower (and let's face it, it's not mashed. you must use either a food processor or blender or you will end up with a weird mess). However, it is NOT mashed potatoes, doesn't taste like mashed potatoes, and is not even a remote substitute for mashed potatoes. They LOOK exactly the same, which is not what you're going for, unless you're a food photographer. Anyway. Eat the dang potatoes, they're good for you. :smile:
    ^I'm not saying potatoes are bad for you, but I am trying to eat foods that rate lower then 55 on the glycemic index scale. Boiled red potatoes I can eat, but very few, and they are pretty small. Mashed potatoes have a rating of 70 on the glycemic index. Cauliflower rates at 15. So for me this is a great replacement for potatoes. :-)

What happens if you eat foods advice 55 GI?
  • SarahDavs
    Options

What happens if you eat foods advice 55 GI?
    Do you mean *above* 55? Basically high G.I. foods break down quickly and leave you feeling hungry faster. Low G. I. foods break down more slowly and leave you feeling fuller, longer. Not that if I ate a cup of mashed potatoes every once in a while it's going to ruin my diet. But I'm just trying to go by the book. Literally. I actually have a book called The GI Diet and I'm trying to follow it as closely as I can. Mashed potatoes aren't considered high on the index, they're moderate, but in the weight loss phase I'm supposed to stick with low index foods. When I get to my target weight I will be able to incorporate foods above 55 (in the moderate GI rating) occasionally.