30 day shed advice!!

Options
So I am on my second day of the shred and I'm really struggling... I struggled all day walking and sitting down etc but now after the second routine I literally can't even walk and have to crawl up the stairs! Is this normal?! Or would you recommend a day of rest?

Maybe it's just a shock to my body as I haven't ever exercised this extreme!

Thoughts please?! :)

Replies

• iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Push through the next two days and you won't be sore anymore. I could barely move the first day after I started.
  • Broadzilla007
    Broadzilla007 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    drink lots of water and take some Advil. Also use dome ice packs right after working out. Don't quit though. You can take it easy for a day or two but don't do nothing at all; it will just make you even less able to move.
  • tooliebell
    tooliebell Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My first time starting it, after the second day, I could barely sit down on the toliet. It was awful. Another poster said push through it and she was right. Just keep pushing it gets better. You could take a rest day but I have found that rest day leads to rest dayS instead of just one, I take multiple.

I started it again 5 days ago and it has been much better but I was already doing other types of these DVDs so it wasn't too much of a shock to my muscles. BUT, day 2, I was sore enough to notice I was working as hard. I could barely do pushup, and I burned about 40 less calories during the dvd than I did the first day. Day 3 was much much better for me and yesterday D4 I felt back to normal.

Keep on trucking...I have seen so many successes with this DVD that I am determined to be one!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    If you feel you're going to injure yourself it might be wise to take a day off...but not completely if possible. Do some gentle stretching or other exercises that might help relieve the soreness, but unless you've hurt yourself in some way, get back to it after one day. As another posted, it's tempting to let 1 day off become 2, then you might figure, "what the heck", and give up. It is a very worthwhile program, so just do your best. Maybe include some of the modifications if you aren't already, until you get up to speed.
  • KatieJane10x
    KatieJane10x Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My first time starting it, after the second day, I could barely sit down on the toliet. It was awful. Another poster said push through it and she was right. Just keep pushing it gets better. You could take a rest day but I have found that rest day leads to rest dayS instead of just one, I take multiple.

I started it again 5 days ago and it has been much better but I was already doing other types of these DVDs so it wasn't too much of a shock to my muscles. BUT, day 2, I was sore enough to notice I was working as hard. I could barely do pushup, and I burned about 40 less calories during the dvd than I did the first day. Day 3 was much much better for me and yesterday D4 I felt back to normal.

Keep on trucking...I have seen so many successes with this DVD that I am determined to be one!

I know what you mean about the toilet! I'm having to put my hands on it behind me and then sit down! Just dreading waking up tomorrow - if the pain is this bad now it will probably be worse!

I'm gunna try it again tomorrow but if they pain is worse il have a day out!

Thanks for the motivation!x
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I took a rest day after Day 2 when I did this the first time. It gets better.
  • MsAnn07
    MsAnn07 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    So I am on my second day of the shred and I'm really struggling... I struggled all day walking and sitting down etc but now after the second routine I literally can't even walk and have to crawl up the stairs! Is this normal?! Or would you recommend a day of rest?

DON'T give up!!!
    It's really hard the first few days..take some meds and stretch it out. The soreness will go away. I'm on Level 1 Day 3. It gets better every day.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Jillian does NOT recommend doing all 30 workouts back-to-back. You need rest days to repair your muscles. When I did it, I rested every 4-5 days or so.
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I am on day 8 of this level 1. two more days before moving to level 2

1. take it slow! don't worry about speed but rather getting the form

2. do modifactions if needed that way you can do more

3. drink lots of water keep it with you

4. ask for 30 day shred friends to help support you.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    It will get easier! Finished 30 Day Shred and moved on to Ripped in 30! I do agree you need a rest day now and then. For me it was the weekends (I did treadmill). Your body is just fussing with you...let it fuss...you can do this.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    you need to stretch. walk it off. stretch again. ice is not good for achy muscles after a workout.
  • MrsTorresisBACK
    MrsTorresisBACK Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    PUSH THROUGH....do the modified version of the moves that her co-part does and keep at it... it will get easier i promise. Same thing happened to me and i'm now on Level 2 Day 3. After Day 1 on level 2 my knee was buggin me...I pushed through and stuck to the modified versions and i feel better. HANG IN THERE...this program is soo worth it. My before and after pic just during Level 1 is such a difference...TRUST ME PUSH!

YOU GOT THIS!!!

Best of luck!!
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    It's just your body's reaction to the vigorous work. Don't quit. Just drink up lots of water, and if you need to pop a Motrin or Ibuprofen. You will adjust and won't be so sore after working out.

Take at least one rest day a week though. Your body/muscles do need time to repair themselves.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    TOPIC: 30 day shed advice!

This happens a lot in spring. I recommend just brushing as often as possible.
  • skinnybliss
    skinnybliss Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The body needs rest for the muscles to repair. But don't slip on diet, or you'll be back to square one!
  • KatieJane10x
    KatieJane10x Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your advice! It's really helped! I'll definitely try carry on, I know it'll get easier, its just the pain in my legs is a bit much at the moment!!

How often have you all had rest days?
  • knkmfp
    knkmfp Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Also try doing extra stretching at the end of the workout - the cool down Jillian does is pretty short.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Push through the next two days and you won't be sore anymore. I could barely move the first day after I started.

This. My first few days were unreal - I could not move a muscle without it hurting and I was like you - this was the most exercise I got in a long time. Stick with it.
  • erinlibke
    erinlibke Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I took a day off after my first 2 workouts. That was on Saturday! Doh!!! FacePalm. Back to square one tomorrow. I am going to do it mon-fri first thing in the morning. I go to the gym 5 days a week anyways and always on Sat and Sunday so I figure those can be my recoup days from the shred. A nice power walk should ease those muscles. Keep at it and soon we can post our success stories!
  • kailexx
    kailexx Posts: 197
    Options
    I think I might take one day off inbetween levels, just to give my body a break before switching to a higher level, my pain isn't actually too bad, I feel a bit of ache walking up and down the stairs but besides that i'm proud at how well i'm pulling through. I've set a goal for myself that I'm not switching levels until I can go through the workout without a break, It'll take me a few days longer to finish it, but I want to do it properly! But I'm so glad i've stuck with it so far, usually i've given up by now!