Sugar

Options
Why does MFP allow so little sugar? I understand wanting to make you aware of junk-sugar but if I have a banana, blueberries and yogurt for breakfast, I'm almost out of sugar for the day.

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about tracking your sugar unless you have a medical reason to do so.

Just track your overall carb and calorie intake.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about tracking your sugar unless you have a medical reason to do so.

Just track your overall carb and calorie intake.

^ This
  • addyl7
    addyl7 Posts: 7
    Options
    I was just wondering about this! I go over my sugar allotment almost every day because of the amount of fruit that I eat . I realize I don't have to track for medical reasons, but I don't like the red numbers making me feel like I'm failing, even though I'm eating fruit!
  • AnnaAnafi
    AnnaAnafi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I just wish I could remove the column. I also don't like seeing the red numbers!
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I spoke to a personal trainer who is in school to become a dietician when I started looking to lose weight and he told me to avoid fruit because of their sugar content.

Now my question is, what the heck do I snack on! Fruit is actually a fairly cheap purchase here due to the several farmer's markets nearby, but now I worry about my sugar being too high and I've been avoiding fruit all together.

Maybe the advice I was given is wrong?
  • IamL
    IamL Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am over every single day because of the fruit I eat. I ignore the sugar thing. You can hide the bar. Or I suppose it would be possible to go in and manually change the amount of sugar you allow yourself to consume. You can do this by choosing to manually set your calorie goal, macros, etc. I might do that, actually...
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I just wish I could remove the column. I also don't like seeing the red numbers!

you can. I did. many have. track your carbs, fats and proteins, and you're pretty set.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I spoke to a personal trainer who is in school to become a dietician when I started looking to lose weight and he told me to avoid fruit because of their sugar content.

Now my question is, what the heck do I snack on! Fruit is actually a fairly cheap purchase here due to the several farmer's markets nearby, but now I worry about my sugar being too high and I've been avoiding fruit all together.

unless you are diabetic, yes, it was.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Remove the column by going to My Home - Settings - Diary Settings. In the first section you can choose up to 5 categories to display in addition to calories. Choose any 5 (or less) that you feel are relevant and important to you. I never look at sugar. I don't have a medical reason to worry about it so I ignore it completely and, like a previous commenter said, focus on my overall calorie and macro (carb/fat/protein) goals.
  • DaymonNin
    DaymonNin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Because sugar is evil.
  • SamDanielleB
    Options
    You can change what shows up in your diary. Click Settings -> Diary Settings and change what shows up in each column with the drop-down boxes.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

Settings (at the top next to Logout) -> Diary Settings -> choose what you want to track :smile:

Edit: I'm slow :sad:
  • tatebos
    tatebos Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think you can choose not to track sugar if you don't want to. Go to your settings and it lets you choose what you want to track. I know you can do it on the computer, not sure about the smart phone and Ipad apps.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I was told not to count the sugar that is naturally present in foods such as fruit. You can overdo fruit from a calorie perspective because some are relatively high in calories so you still need to eat it in moderation. Berries are great fruits to snack on - fairly low in sugar and high in fiber and antioxidants.
  • doctorwhome
    Options

I was told the same thing by a doctor. I ignored it. I didn't get fat by eating too much fruit.
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

unless you are diabetic, yes, it was.

No, I'm not... and right now, what little sugar I get that might be refined etc is the little bit in my yogurt and maybe string cheese (I think dairy usually has a bit of sugar?). I guess I'll go back to snacking on fresh fruit then - apples/bananas/grapes here I come!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options

You can.

You can also customise the goals.
  • fitnessfreddie
    fitnessfreddie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It seems like all the alloted numbers are low for you minus the calorie count. I feel that's the only thing really worth tracking.
  • jasminetoi
    jasminetoi Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    fruit...sugar....carbs...

when pros or competitors are in shredding phase they cut out fruit
    it also bloats you

protein...green veggies....sweet potatos maybe

thats how youll see results the fastest.........is it a lifestyle?maybe not

id prefer to montior my sugar intake above my sodium intake....and drink a gallon of water a day
  • addyl7
    addyl7 Posts: 7
    Options
    You also get a higher allotment of sugar if you work out. Just sayin'... :)