Muscles injuries

Ok so I've been working out since January on a pretty consistant basis and it seems like every time I work out or do some kind of real physical activity I pull/injure a muscle somewhere somehow... Just today doing regular push-ups I injured my left shoulder kinda feels like sharp pain in the joint and then later on do lower an crunches I pulled/injured a muscle in my neck-shoulder area which I also pulled on Easter throwing a football around. Now a little back ground on me is that I am 5'5 and 173lbs so yes over weight, I have hypocalcemia and I have NO thyroid gland so I take synthroid for that. I am currently on a diet pill and for like a week was barely able to eat 500-600 calories but I'm finally getting around 1200. Any tips or quick fixes or preventions? I know proper form I used to do military PT before I had my children. Please help! And friend me! Thanks!

Replies

• CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Warm-up....always warm up good before any exercises...even if you have been walking around all day.
    If you have access to a foam roller for myofacial release or in lamans term.....soft tissue release, before exercising. What this does is help relax the soft tissue that muscle fibers and connective tissue have around them, allowing them to maximize range of motion. It's the same concept as having a massuese press on a tension spot on your back to release it.

You might even be using too heavy weights for the exercises you are doing. If you start to loose form with the weight you are doing, drop to a lighter one until you can finish with proper form....even if you have to drop multiple weight consecutively.

If you do these before working out and stretching afterwards, this will help.

To supplement this.....spend an hour or more with a massuese to loosen up, release mental tension to help release physical tension and don't pick up the phone for a weekend. :flowerforyou:
  • kgeer31
    kgeer31 Posts: 52 Member
    warm up and stretching are keys. I personally have a habit of overtraining and tend to pull muscles/injur myself that way. I'm still only about 90% from a hip flexor/groin pull almost 6wks ago from doing leg extensions and bringing my legs down to the floor to far and too many times (appraently my hip took over when my abs were done). I hear ya!