squat form - inner outer thigh imbalance

Options
Hi, i need some help please,
i noticed that my knees are shaking and tilting inwards when doing heavy squats. this means my outer thigh is overpowering my inner thigh right? how do i fix this? side lunges and sumo movements maybe? my goal being strength and proper form not hypertrophy or correcting optical imbalances.

thx in advance

Replies

• mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    this use to happen to me...keep doing them...take off some weight until you perfect it and gradually increase...you have to make proper form a habit.....also make sure your legs are not too far apart....a little more than shoulder width...
  • ilovegreg05
    ilovegreg05 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Most likely you have tight hip flexors. Work on your mobility and then focus on pushing your knees away when you come up from the hole in the squat.
  • PureAdamic
    PureAdamic Posts: 185
    Options
    My advice is:

1. Conscientiously push your knees out hard when leaving the hole. Having a squat shoe with a double strap will allow you to push really hard against the side walls which will also help.

2. On your warm up, body weight sets, wrap an elastic band around your knees and keep your knees pushed out. repeat till your hip flexors and abductors are warm.
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm certain that my stance is fine. I did not consider it being a hip-mobility issue. i will def. add more mobility work and maybe stay away from low reps and high effort for a while to see if i can get this fixed.

thx guys.
  • 0OneTwo3
    Options
    @PureAdamic olympic weightlifting shoes? the ones with the heels?

that elastic band thing sound like a really good idea.
  • PureAdamic
    PureAdamic Posts: 185
    Options
    @PureAdamic olympic weightlifting shoes? the ones with the heels?

Yes. They range from $100 - $300.

I use a pair of Rouge Do-Wins, they fit like a dream and have a great heel.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Try this.

put down two 25Lbs plates on the ground next to each other. Then place your heals on the plates. Try doing a squat like that. If you can do it without all the Knee movement (compensation) , then you more than likely have some mobility issues.
  • 0OneTwo3
    Options
    Alright. Thanks Again.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Valgus collapse really has nothing to do with the quads. Generally, you're looking at weakness/instability in your hips. You said it only happens with heavy weight so that rules out any motor control or flexibility issues.

I use the word 'weakness' loosely because I've seen people with 400 pound squats have this issue. It's not that your glutes aren't strong, they probably are just not 'firing.'

Before you squat try doing some quadruped diagonals, cook hip lifts, and later band shuffles/walk (try YouTube for any explanation of exercises). This will 'warm-up' or 'activate' your abductors and external rotators.
  • CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Save some money and buy resistance loops (they come in multiple tensions), place above the knees and squat with no weights. Keep the resistance, but hold for a 15-count. Relax and repeat.

Modification: lay on your back, place resistance loops around your legs above your knees, lift knees (like your doing crunches), keep resistance while keeping your legs as wide as you would squats.

If your hip flexors are tight, roll them out on a foam roller.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options

2. On your warm up, body weight sets, wrap an elastic band around your knees and keep your knees pushed out. repeat till your hip flexors and abductors are warm.
    came here to say the exact same thing.

you have a quad imbalance. this will help fix it.
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    Valgus collapse really has nothing to do with the quads. Generally, you're looking at weakness/instability in your hips. You said it only happens with heavy weight so that rules out any motor control or flexibility issues.

I use the word 'weakness' loosely because I've seen people with 400 pound squats have this issue. It's not that your glutes aren't strong, they probably are just not 'firing.'

Before you squat try doing some quadruped diagonals, cook hip lifts, and later band shuffles/walk (try YouTube for any explanation of exercises). This will 'warm-up' or 'activate' your abductors and external rotators.

So if the glutes and hamstrings aren't "firing" properly, then the muscle group primarily doing the moving would be the quadriceps. So how does Valgus collapse not have anything to do with your quads? We see this issue a lot in powerlifting with newbs who don't know how to sit back into their squat yet so they use primarily quads to execute the movement.

OP, the solution to your problem is to force your knees out while you squat. PERIOD. Adding a bunch of extra exercises to your warm up will not fix your squat form. Fixing your squat form will fix your squat form. If you have a hard time doing this then wrap a jump stretch band around your knees so that you have to consciously focus on spreading them throughout the entire movement.
  • 0OneTwo3
    Options
    General consensus seems to be right. Mobility work today def. revealed hip tightness/mobility issues. i will work on that and better awareness.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options

So if the glutes and hamstrings aren't "firing" properly, then the muscle group primarily doing the moving would be the quadriceps. So how does Valgus collapse not have anything to do with your quads? We see this issue a lot in powerlifting with newbs who don't know how to sit back into their squat yet so they use primarily quads to execute the movement.

OP, the solution to your problem is to force your knees out while you squat. PERIOD. Adding a bunch of extra exercises to your warm up will not fix your squat form. Fixing your squat form will fix your squat form. If you have a hard time doing this then wrap a jump stretch band around your knees so that you have to consciously focus on spreading them throughout the entire movement.

If 'forcing' your knees out is the answer, why is OP on a message asking how to correct valgus collapse? The quadricep muscles have almost zero impact on lateral/medial movement of the femur. If you look at the attachments, they can only extend the knee, and flex the hip. The resistance band you suggest using is simple a RNT technique used for glute activation. I agree it works, but ultimately it is a glute issue.

Here is a quick link I pulled up on RNT as it relates to squat form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNCsiHkyK5U