is it just the way my body does this?

Options
I lose for two weeks then the third week I stall or gain up to a pound then lose again the next two weeks and stall again. I have been sick for the last week and a half so I haven't really been able to do much exercise but that's not the case each time I stall put. Any insight?

Replies

• Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    is there anything you do different during these times?
  • DebraLosesIt
    DebraLosesIt Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    No, I try to vary my calorie intake once a week and at the gym I do strength training very other day, cardio (treadmill, arc, or elliptical) everyday. I am 5'6" and I started at 215lb, I am currently 196lbs and 32 years old if that helps.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Is it related to your period at all? A salty meal? Not drinking enough water? Weight loss isn't a steady downward progression. Look at the overall trend, keep doing what you're doing, and enjoy your success.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    yeah as long as you are happy with where you are at I wouldnt worry about it too much. When I was losing weight it might be 2.5 lbs this week, 1 lb the next week and so forth. As long as you have the downward trend and its what your goal is then keep it up.
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    Calories in vs Calories out. It's simple really.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me that it's just how your body loses. I've been doing that too, although not as regularly as you are. I lose, lose, lose, for one to four weeks, then stall (which is an abrupt word for what's really just a brief wait) for one or two weeks, then lose again. I'm averaging a reasonable steady loss over the past 4 months, so it doesn't seem to be something that needs to be worried about.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I have a similiar problem with the loss/gain cycle. I have tried my best to track it (sodium, carbs, menstrual cycle) but nothing explains why I gain or why I lose... not even my calorie intake! I can have a bad week and lose... have two good weeks in a row and maintain or even gain. It was driving me crazy until I just finally accepted that my body is going to do what it wants to do. And as long as I'm losing (or maintaining when I'm in maintenance mode) more than gaining over a month period, then I'm happy.
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have a similiar problem with the loss/gain cycle. I have tried my best to track it (sodium, carbs, menstrual cycle) but nothing explains why I gain or why I lose... not even my calorie intake! I can have a bad week and lose... have two good weeks in a row and maintain or even gain. It was driving me crazy until I just finally accepted that my body is going to do what it wants to do. And as long as I'm losing (or maintaining when I'm in maintenance mode) more than gaining over a month period, then I'm happy.

Ugh, this is the same for me too, it's like my body has a mind of its own or something LOL. I just keep on going and try to think positively
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    That's how mine works. Just step on the scale one day and I'm suddenly a pound lighter.
  • DebraLosesIt
    Options
    Yeah that seems to be me...I do track that stuff too and it doesn't seem to make a difference. It really is a definite cycle of two weeks lose and one week no loss or slight gain then two weeks lose...etc...
  • DebraLosesIt
    Options
    Calories in vs Calories out. It's simple really.

I think generally speaking it is that simple but when you're doing things the same way and getting results two weeks then not the next I don't think it's simply just that.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm the exact same way. Just remember and keep repeating...weight loss is not linear.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Outstanding! At least you have a pattern of loss, which is eluding me. I've been gaining and losing the same 4 pounds for months, but I know my lack of consistency is at least partly to blame.

I remember years ago that I used to gain the week before my period, then I'd lose or remain the same after my period started until the next week before my period.
  • iamspdd
    iamspdd Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    This might be TMI, but sometimes I don't have a BM for two days straight so I know not to weigh in if my weigh in day falls in that time period because I know my weight will be higher. I wait until things are "regular" again. :blushing: