Lifting Virgin

Options
Hey guys & gals:

I'm having my trainer show me how to use the free weights today. He's a good trainer, I've worked with him for 2 year,s and we've lightly dabbled over there, but I want to know enough to be comfortable wading into that testosterone-pool by myself. Any tips on what I should ask him to cover?

Replies

• CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Proper form....each machine and exercise has proper form.
    Type of exercises that you can do with each weight item....such as dumbbells, squat machines, pull up machines/bars.
    Ask for any modifications to some of these, so you don't get into the mindset that it has to be done that particular way all the time.
    Ask how to incorporate weights into your cardio to give you great combo sets.

Most of all, don't be afraid of wading into it.....it's actually quite fun.

OH BEFORE I FORGET....... SPOTTERS.....don't be afraid to ask anyone to be one if you are pushing yourself and need some help. They can be your best friend for that last rep.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Ok, cool. We won't be using the pull-up machine. We tried that once. My issue with heights kicked in (I know, @ 2 ft off the ground. I too, asked WTF?). We usually do combo sets, but mostly using the weight machines. I want to learn to use the free weights properly, as I think you use more muscle groups than with stationary weights.
  • PureAdamic
    PureAdamic Posts: 185
    Options
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bench Press
    Over Head Press
    Power Cleans
    Pull ups
    Chin Ups
    Dips
    Push ups
    Front Squats
    Lunges
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bench Press
    Over Head Press
    Power Cleans
    Pull ups
    Chin Ups
    Dips
    Push ups
    Front Squats
    Lunges

Absolutely.

I mean the list is slight overkill, but it's WAY better to be overinformed than under. I only use 7-8 of those exercises.

I would also add in rows.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bench Press
    Over Head Press
    Power Cleans
    Pull ups
    Chin Ups
    Dips
    Push ups
    Front Squats
    Lunges

Absolutely.

I mean the list is slight overkill, but it's WAY better to be overinformed than under. I only use 7-8 of those exercises.

i do about 6 of those plus rows.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bench Press
    Over Head Press
    Power Cleans
    Pull ups
    Chin Ups
    Dips
    Push ups
    Front Squats
    Lunges

Absolutely.

I'm a minimalist - I use only 5 from the list, including the rows you mention.

My 5: Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Overhead Press, bent-over (Pendlay) row.

If I feel a body-part is lagging behind, I might throw and isolation exercise in once or twice a week ... but otherwise it's those 5. Squats is my #1 and I do them 3x a week.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bench Press
    Over Head Press
    Power Cleans
    Pull ups
    Chin Ups
    Dips
    Push ups
    Front Squats
    Lunges

Absolutely.

I'm a minimalist - I use only 5 from the list, including the rows you mention.

My 5: Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Overhead Press, bent-over (Pendlay) row.

If I feel a body-part is lagging behind, I might throw and isolation exercise in once or twice a week ... but otherwise it's those 5. Squats is my #1 and I do them 3x a week.

That's pretty much my normal workout exactly (including the rows), other than the fact that I alternate squats and deads. I also normally (currently nursing a repaired shattered collar bone) do weighted chin ups and weighted dips.

It would normally go something like...

Monday:
    Squat, bench, dips

Wednesday:
    Deads, rows, overhead press, chins

Friday:
    Repeat Monday

Monday:
    Repeat Wednesday
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    You´re going to love free weights. I feel a little silly standing with my "babyweights" among the guys who lifts I-don´t-know-what. But I´m doing it!! You just go ahead. I also use StrongLifts 5x5 program, three times a week. Google the exercises, there´s a lot of information. Besides that, youtube is my best friend. Search for each exercise, see how it´s done, learn proper form, practice it at home (I use a broomstick.) Good luck getting started. It´s a lot of fun!!
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Form, don't worry about the amount of weight at first. Really work on form first. Rock those 5 pounders until you are spot on in form.

And don't worry about any looks you get from being in the weights section - really. Just go in there like you OWN the place and you will. (this coming from someone who was afraid too.... then finally gave up and muscled my way in).

And yes, YouTube has some killer vids - both free weights & machines, done by both women & men (which helps me alot to see how both sexes do the same movements).

Have fun & you'll learn to love it :)
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bench Press
    Over Head Press
    Power Cleans
    Pull ups
    Chin Ups
    Dips
    Push ups
    Front Squats
    Lunges

This plus glute kick backs and hip abductions using the cable machine, tricep extentions and one arm dumbell rows.
    Sometimes I do the clean & jerk to save time instead of squat, deadlift and shoulder press.