Nauseous and very weak after workouts

Options
Question, after I workout I feel very sick to my stomach like if i want to throw up. I also get so tired and weak. I tried eating a small snack after working out like cottage cheese and fruit but it does not help. I workout in the evenings. Has anyone else felt like this

Replies

• chadgrooms1
    Options
    Sorry to hear...it can be a real drag. How long have you been working out? I was on the floor sick and sore after the first days and sometimes for hours after. It went away after I started eating a snack and downing a huge glass of water about 45 minutes before I start. Also, some people have problems with drinking during a workout, but I do my best to drink small amounts constantly. That, plus allowing time for your body to adjust to the shock, should help a lot. Just my $.02. Hope that helps.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    the sick feeling might be a lactic acid build up. Water and time will help eventually.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    how long are you waiting to work out after a meal? are you hungry when you start? are you hydrated? what is your cal setting, what kind of workouts are you doing? we need more details if we are to help.
  • rachaelnicole1719
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better..i feel the same after everytime i work out just the tired and weak basically dead, and i have felt that way since i started working out..i don't even want to eat. My friend is the exact opposite 30 minutes after she is ready to go and work out again, I just think it's how our bodies react to working out..so you're not alone :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    That is most likely from glycogen depletion. You really don't need to work out to that point every time you exercise. Doing so usually leads to burnout and quitting.

Eating more carbs during the day will probably help.
  • tenintwenty
    Options
    How are your heart rate and breathing during and after your workout? After you rule out the possibility of an actual health issue, chalk it up to pushing yourself hard during your workouts. It's okay to push yourself hard. It's okay to feel spent and a little sick after a hard workout. Just learn to expect it and deal with it, and down worry about it, or, if it bothers you, tone your workouts down a notch to something more comfortable for your body.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    How much do you eat.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a lack of fuel.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    If it's not due to lack of fuel/food, you might look into adding electrolyte tablets to your water and drinking it while you are working out. That's what my dr. recommended when I was experiencing something similar. I like the Nuun tablets, which I can usually find in a running or sports store.
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Have half a banana pre and post workout with a few almonds (I get nauseated if I don't have something in me before I work out
  • stepgonz
    stepgonz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    okay so i do the Jilian Michaels 30 day shred then right after i drive to gym and usually get on elliptical for 30 mins then jog on treadmill for 30 mins. I usually eat a couple of hours before working out. My diet consist of 1000-1200 calories and always keep my carbs under 40 grams. Ive been exercising for about a month but have not felt like this since i started going to the gym this week. Before then I would do my video then go jog outside for 45 minutes. I never got sick doing that.
  • ecross1220
    ecross1220 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just started this using this fantastic site but I have lost 50 aiming for another 40. I noticed that morning workouts are better with my chemistry if you are a morning person like I am eat half a banana and/or green smoothie with protien with extra ice! I also take a b100 vitamin to kick push my workout by the way I love spinning it is so fun and others are pushing hard as you are ...very cool and ofcourse you need water about 24 oz before and during your workout...good luck!
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    okay so i do the Jilian Michaels 30 day shred then right after i drive to gym and usually get on elliptical for 30 mins then jog on treadmill for 30 mins. I usually eat a couple of hours before working out. My diet consist of 1000-1200 calories and always keep my carbs under 40 grams. Ive been exercising for about a month but have not felt like this since i started going to the gym this week. Before then I would do my video then go jog outside for 45 minutes. I never got sick doing that.
    Hopefully you're eating back some of those exercise cals??
  • ecross1220
    ecross1220 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yeah...but I gave up meat so its tricky...I am thinking some kind of hearty soup:-)
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    I drink water 1hr before a workout. cold water.

and usually try to have carbs about an hour-45mins before hand. Usually an apple, which has a lot of carbs, so i'm not talking pasta and bread.
  • nicolej1016
    nicolej1016 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Are you having anything with caffeine prior to working out? Any medications? They may be contributing to dehydration which is often a cause for wooziness after workouts.

Also (of course I am no expert) but it sounds as if you are really low on calories. Going below 1200 per day is not enough to keep up your body's daily functioning.