University Dining Hall Nutrition info incorrect?

Options
So at my Uni, I order 3 egg whites for a given meal. On their dining service's website and the entries of their food on MFP have very strange calories/protein entries. They say that for 3 egg whites, I get 171 calories and 38 g of protein, which sounds outrageous... won't both numbers be significantly lower? I thought 1 egg white would contain only about 3 g of protein.

Also, when I ask for 3 egg whites, I get a very small serving size... something that may span my hand. Is this actually about right? (I only ask because my mom only prepares vegan food at home, so I don't know how much egg whites would amount to).

Replies

• Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    That's sooo inaccurate for 3 egg whites...and no 3 egg whites would not be a large volume and would fit around your hand depending on hand size. I use liquid egg whites and do 6 tbl most days - it's about 50 calories and 10 g of protein and about the same as 3/8 of a cup.
  • hiimanupa
    hiimanupa Posts: 53
    Options
    That's sooo inaccurate for 3 egg whites...and no 3 egg whites would not be a large volume and would fit around your hand depending on hand size. I use liquid egg whites and do 6 tbl most days - it's about 50 calories and 10 g of protein and about the same as 3/8 of a cup.

Lol, damn. I thought I was getting so much protein from that too. I should tell them to fix their data from the website, first of all. :-( Heh.

o_O that means I need to eat 12 egg whites to get even CLOSE to what I was eating. Sucks.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Options
    Trust me you will get SOOOOO sick of it. I still eat egg whites like 5 days a week but I don't look forward to it, no matter what veggies or flavors get mixed in. The benefit is the protein without the fat of course :)

I have recently started putting protein shake (strawberry) into steel cut oatmeal and that tastes great. The oatmeal has some protein too. You can mix in some fruit and its nummy.

Then I grab some carb 0 or paleo bread (high in protein) and put almond butter on it (with the egg whites or oatmeal)

Add a nonfat greek yogurt.

That's my standard breakfast fare. I know you're at university so likely have fewer options though :( If I eat like this in the am I find it easier not to splurge late afternoon with any sort of craving.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Why not eat all of the egg...eggs are good for you and you're missing out on all of the nutrition in the yolks. I have 2 eggs daily and I've been combating high cholesterol with diet...and I'm winning.

Eat the whole egg. Fat doesn't make you fat...eggs have good heart healthy fats...eat your eggs.

http://www.livestrong.com/blog/blog/the-8-health-benefits-eggs/
  • purplelizzard
    purplelizzard Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Why not eat all of the egg...eggs are good for you and you're missing out on all of the nutrition in the yolks. I have 2 eggs daily and I've been combating high cholesterol with diet...and I'm winning.

Eat the whole egg. Fat doesn't make you fat...eggs have good heart healthy fats...eat your eggs.

^ This! I eat 2 hard boiled eggs daily and have lost a decent amount of weight since I have started this. It keeps you full :)
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Options

True but everything in moderation, and I like other sources for my healthy fats that taste sooooo much better (almond butterrrrrrr yum, and avocado w/ cilantro drives me wild, pistachios...etc :) ) So to stay in my macros as close as possible I use egg whites and enjoy my healthy fats elsewhere where flavor is ...imo better. I assumed OP thought the same, could be wrong.
  • hiimanupa
    Options

True but everything in moderation, and I like other sources for my healthy fats that taste sooooo much better (almond butterrrrrrr yum, and avocado w/ cilantro drives me wild, pistachios...etc :) ) So to stay in my macros as close as possible I use egg whites and enjoy my healthy fats elsewhere where flavor is ...imo better. I assumed OP thought the same, could be wrong.

Yeah, I agree with this. I would eat the whole egg, but for some reason I don't like it that much. :-( I guess I could start eating scrambled eggs and just douse it with tabasco sauce and some other stuff, though. It sucks, because I'm for some reason starting to grow averse to grilled chicken breast too. I don't eat any other meat, because I grew up vegetarian, so everything else makes me quite sick.

So as an almost-vegetarian, it's pretttty hard to get all the protein I want without staying under a reasonable number of calories (esp while in college.. dining hall food choices can be limited sometimes). Not impossible, but difficult without eating mostly clean, given that I do indulge in sweets every now and then too.
  • hiimanupa
    Options
    Trust me you will get SOOOOO sick of it. I still eat egg whites like 5 days a week but I don't look forward to it, no matter what veggies or flavors get mixed in. The benefit is the protein without the fat of course :)

I have recently started putting protein shake (strawberry) into steel cut oatmeal and that tastes great. The oatmeal has some protein too. You can mix in some fruit and its nummy.

Then I grab some carb 0 or paleo bread (high in protein) and put almond butter on it (with the egg whites or oatmeal)

Add a nonfat greek yogurt.

That's my standard breakfast fare. I know you're at university so likely have fewer options though :( If I eat like this in the am I find it easier not to splurge late afternoon with any sort of craving.

Also, what protein shake do you use? Everything that I've had so far tastes like crapola. Anything that you could recommend that I might find at Trader Joe's or something?

Is the protein in almond butter more than what you'd find in peanut butter? Haha do you use the former just because you prefer the taste?