30 day shred help?

Options
Just wondering if those who have had alot to lose (I need to lose about 35kgs) put on alot of weight doing the 30 day shred? Ive been doing it this week, but also did it a couple of times last week to start getting use to it, and also do extra cardio as well, and I just weighed myself this morning and have put on almost 1.5 kgs, and about 10 cms! which is alot for someone like me. Is it worth continuing on at the moment, and just leaving it til I need to tone up? Or will the weight suddenly drop off later? Cause if not I would rather go back to what I was doing before as I have alot of weight I would like to lose before I fall pregnant again (I was already hoping to be under 100kgs but I seem to have stopped, again, at just 5kgs lost, after 5 months of trying to lose weight)

Replies

• zefreak
    zefreak Posts: 37
    Options
    bump
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    In that short amount of time I don't think the 30 day shred could cause you to gain anything...
  • grlygrl123
    grlygrl123 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Try not to stress about it! I just started the 30 Day Shred on April 1. By April 6 I had gained 6 pounds. Today I am down over 3 pounds. The body fluctuates... it could be a million things like too much salt, TOM, and so on. Keep going!
  • zefreak
    Options
    In that short amount of time I don't think the 30 day shred could cause you to gain anything...

Thats what I thought too, but my eating has been fine etc

I know you gain weight when gaining muscle but THAT MUCH?

Its a real downer to see when you work so hard. It wouldn't be such an issue if I wasn't so overweight already
  • zefreak
    Options
    Try not to stress about it! I just started the 30 Day Shred on April 1. By April 6 I had gained 6 pounds. Today I am down over 3 pounds. The body fluctuates... it could be a million things like too much salt, TOM, and so on. Keep going!
    Thanks :) Its just a bit funny I have gained a huge amount only since starting it (I weighed myself the day before I started it) and have eating fine. I suppose I will figure it out lol.
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It depends on how long you've been doing it. I'm doing Ripped in 30 which is very similar (same 3-2-1 thing, different exercises). At first I noticed an increase in measurements and on the scale... I think it's just water retention in your muscles, though. After a few more days I had lost weight.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Water retention. Chances are you haven't gain muscle on a calorie deficit, especially that quickly. It's not 1.5 kgs of muscle, it's not 1.5kgs of fat. It's water. Or poop. Might be poop...
  • zefreak
    Options
    Water retention. Chances are you haven't gain muscle on a calorie deficit, especially that quickly. It's not 1.5 kgs of muscle, it's not 1.5kgs of fat. It's water. Or poop. Might be poop...

Hehhehehe @ the poop :D You made my day!

Thanks all :) Now I think about it, it would be water retention.... Now to figure out how to help that! :)
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    you did not gain muscle already. It may be too much salt or something else. It is not the work out.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    It's simply extra water. It will come off once your body adjusts, keep going:smile:
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that it is probably water weight. Drink as much water as you can and cut back your sodium. If you are drinking diet or regular sodas, I suggest you cut those. Make water your main source of fluid.

You don't log a lot of your food so it is hard to tell from that.

Try not to weigh and obsess. Give it time. If it is water or the beginnings of muscle, you have to give your body time to adjust :)

Jen
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Either you are eating more or its water weight (the latter most likely).

There is zero (ZERO) chance that ANY cardio workout program MADE you put on weight.
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Your inconsistent food diary (I only went back to April 1st) makes me wonder what you're eating. I'd start looking there about your weight gain.
  • moni_tb_192
    moni_tb_192 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Like they've said before, it's probably water retention. And I'd pay more attention to the measuring tape than to the scale ;)
  • CupcakeKaos
    Options
    What is a 30 day shred?
  • queenbear5
    queenbear5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I put on three pounds when I first started. After four days it disappeared, but at the start of each new level I gained a bit more. It is water dealing with your sore muscles and it will go away. You didn't gain any real weight. It is discouraging though. Push through it. You'll be glad you did in the end.
  • moni_tb_192
    moni_tb_192 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    What is a 30 day shred?

It's a workout DVD by Jillian Michaels. It's basically circuit training: you do 3 minutes of strength, then 2 mins of cardio, and finally 1min of abs in every circuit. It's pretty awesome IMHO :P
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pc-NizMgg8
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I mostly lost inches and my clothes fit better so keep up the good work and I highly recommend taking measurements. Good luck hope you like it.
  • liz3marie
    liz3marie Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    ive actually been up in weight since starting also. i was at 168 when i started..im just now getting back to 171. I did have some high sodium days but havent lost anything in 2 weeks. Im on day 10. But i love this workout :)
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    You can't expect results without consistency. This includes working out and properly logging your food. Once you know the accurate calories you're consuming it doesn't matter how much you essentially burn as long as the weight loss is where you want it to be week to week. If you exercise your TDEE is going to be higher. I tend not to adjust my calories day to day for exercise, but you should eat more than 1200 calories if you plan on exercising.

This isn't Mean Girls.. those bars she feeds you doesn't make you gain weight first then magically make you lose it all in a day. Like the other person said.. could be water being redistributed into your muscles.. Whatever your BMR is eat above that regardless of working out or not.