Chinese Takeout

Options
2»

Replies

• 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I order almond chicken. It's apparently a local thing, fried chicken breast sauce and vegetables. It's completely unhealthy. LOL I avoid everything else. I have no idea if there's a healthy option for Chinese take out but I would be interested in finding out (this would also work since I can't get almond chicken away from home).
  • Beleren
    Beleren Posts: 142
    Options
    I would avoid ALL chinese take out. I don't understand why anyone would consider ordering chinese take out if they are trying to lose weight.
    You could lose weight eating complete junk if you were at the right calorie amount, many have done it. Doesn't mean it's healthy, but it's still losing weight.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I would avoid ALL chinese take out. I don't understand why anyone would consider ordering chinese take out if they are trying to lose weight.

You can eat it occasionally. There's no point in cutting out your favorite foods for the rest of your life.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I tend not to eat healthy at Chinese restaurants. It's an indulgance

Same here. I so rarely have chinese food, that when I do, I tend to have whatever I fancy, usually boiled rice, king prawns with cashews, beancurd with broccoli and some noodles, all shared with my mother.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options

You might lose weight and feel all angelic like in avoiding chinese food, burgers, ice cream, chocolate, thai, indian and whatever else you deem unhealthy, but have fun maintaining that for life. A diet tends to fail because people decide they have to cut out so many foods to lose weight and it remains a diet, rather than a lifestyle change. Plenty on here have lost over 100Ibs, while still eating ice cream, chocolate, burgers and chinese, amidst their veggies, lean protein, fruits and whole foods. Maybe you need to broaden your view of weight loss a little.
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You could lose weight eating complete junk if you were at the right calorie amount, many have done it. Doesn't mean it's healthy, but it's still losing weight.

Fair enough. That is a valid point. I guess I just personally wouldn't eat it.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options

Same here. I so rarely have chinese food, that when I do, I tend to have whatever I fancy, usually boiled rice, king prawns with cashews, beancurd with broccoli and some noodles, all shared with my mother.

same. like mentioned previously, i rarely eat chinese takeout. i can count on one hand the amount of times a year i eat it. so when i do, i dont cringe too badly if i get an egg roll and something not so good for me. it is chinese food after all, i think thats the point of it :laugh:
    but many places do have a "diet" menu now, where you can ask for some steamed veggies, plain rice/brown rice and chicken or something. with a little sauce on the side it sounds like it would still be tasty
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I eat all sorts of Asian food. At the Chinese restaurant I usually get vegetable shrimp or chicken with brocolli, or vegetable tofu. I also get Vietnamese Pho or an appetizer. No noodles in the pho and lots of veggies. I get shrimp and eggplant curry at the Thai place. Again this has lots of veggies. I'm losing weight so I'm happy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I didn't like it much before, so if I REALLY had to... I guess I'd have some egg drop soup and some steamed wontons or something.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options

same. like mentioned previously, i rarely eat chinese takeout. i can count on one hand the amount of times a year i eat it. so when i do, i dont cringe too badly if i get an egg roll and something not so good for me. it is chinese food after all, i think thats the point of it :laugh:
    but many places do have a "diet" menu now, where you can ask for some steamed veggies, plain rice/brown rice and chicken or something. with a little sauce on the side it sounds like it would still be tasty

Twice a year usually is the maximum for me, when I go to my mum's. I just never feel like getting it when in my own space. It would be less of a treat if I had it more often.
  • xxxTiaxxx
    xxxTiaxxx Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Asian food is my weakness. So I don't tend to watch what I order. I get it at least every month. It's kind of like my treat dinner for being good.
  • bwnorton
    bwnorton Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I like beef with broccoli or chicken with green beans. Instead of fried rice or noodles, I have mixed vegetables. And, because everything has a good load of sodium, I don't weigh myself the next day! I feel happier that way...
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I tend not to choose the healthy option at Chinese restaurants either. I rarely go seeing as I can't afford the calories generally.
  • conorpatmanCHANGED
    conorpatmanCHANGED Posts: 253 Member
    Options

lol same
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Shrimp fried rice or chicken fried rice. I hardly ever eat out, so when I do, I make sure I get whatever I want.
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options

You might lose weight and feel all angelic like in avoiding chinese food, burgers, ice cream, chocolate, thai, indian and whatever else you deem unhealthy, but have fun maintaining that for life. A diet tends to fail because people decide they have to cut out so many foods to lose weight and it remains a diet, rather than a lifestyle change. Plenty on here have lost over 100Ibs, while still eating ice cream, chocolate, burgers and chinese, amidst their veggies, lean protein, fruits and whole foods. Maybe you need to broaden your view of weight loss a little.

I am not clueless to the fact that people can still lose weight while eating ice cream or burgers or the other foods you mentioned above.

I have a very good knowledge of weight loss and the science behind it. I like my view on weight loss and it works for me. If you deem it closed minded that is fine.

It is merely my personal opinion that one probably should not be eating chinese take out while trying to lose weight. If people don't agree that is completely ok.
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    For the record, I realize Chinese takeout isn't the nutritional gold standard in meal options. ;) Still, when Husband has a craving, I usually try to acquiesce with reasonable (or not so reasonable) portions. After all, he does put up with my "health food" the majority of the time.

On this particular night, remembering the horror that is the calorie/fat/sugar content of sesame chicken, I pulled up the aforementioned nutritional data and made this inquiry last-minute. I didn't have a moment then and there to review the responses, but I did note what healthier options were available behind the glass at our local Hy-Vee -- unfortunately not many.

Thank you for your feedback, for not biting my head off despite our differing opinions on food choice, and/or for defending my occasional indulgences, whichever applies to you. ;)
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    We don't eat out often so when we do I just get what I like. I always order pork chow mein, sweet and sour shrimp, fried rice, egg roll or potsticker, hot and sour soup. Not probably the healthiest, but I rarely eat out and Chinese is my favorite takeout!
  • michellew91
    michellew91 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Moo goo gai pan is a tasty lighter option!