always hungry

Options
Hi i have just started my weight loss journey and find myself being constantly hungry. Since ive began to use my fitness pal i have managed to curb the cravings anybody have some helpful tips

Replies

• kwilliam2
    kwilliam2 Posts: 35
    Options
    Eat broccoli and cauliflower..a pound of broccoli is like 100 calories..
  • janetsalley
    janetsalley Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I swear by protien shakes and bars....protien helps you stay full longer. There's all kinds a different flavors to choose from..good luck
  • katrinajMiles
    katrinajMiles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    can't see your diary so don't really know.

There could be a number of reasons not drinking enough water, not eating enough protein or good carbs.

The body can't tell the difference between being hungry or being thirsty try having a glass of water every time your hungry give it 30min or more if you are still hungry eat something. Have a handful or nuts, hard boiled egg, can of tuna.

It's not worth being hungry all the time otherwise you won't stick to your new eating plan and you'll end up hating it.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I buy a couple bags of dried fruit (cranberries and apricots, cherries and cranberries, pineapple and raisins, apple and raisins) and a can of mixed nuts (I switch up the nut varieties) and I mix them in a jar and snack on that. It's a lot of calories but it also helps keep me from immediately eating something else.
  • fluffyrn12
    fluffyrn12 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Me too...I'm hungry now :(
  • loseitallformenow
    loseitallformenow Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Are you getting your water intake? This really seems to help me; I have to sometimes push myself now to eat the calories that I need to. Marley
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    What is your current height and weight, and what weight loss goal did you enter when you set up your account?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    What is your current height and weight, and what weight loss goal did you enter when you set up your account?
    yup. this.

I'm guessing "sedentary" and "2lbs / week."
  • redarcha
    redarcha Posts: 3
    Options
    yep thats what i set it up as and thanks for the advice
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    yup. this.

I'm guessing "sedentary" and "2lbs / week."

QFT. There's a good chance you can be eating more and still losing weight. Give us some info.
  • LoraleiDean
    LoraleiDean Posts: 100
    Options
    Try:
    Lots of fresh, cut up veggies
    Some fresh, cut up fruit
    Small handful of raw or roasted (unsalted) almonds
    Portion sized-yogurt
    And LOTS of water/unsweetened tea/unsweetened coffee

Took a while, but my body got used to the reduced amount of food and I'm betting that yours will too!
  • pamshepard12
    Options
    try making your own granola or energy bars. You can make them as low in sugar and fat as you want. try some of the recipes on food.com. they give you the nutritional value also. good luck!
  • Ashkea76
    Ashkea76 Posts: 7,094 Member
    Options
    I found the first 2 weeks were the hardest, readjusting the amounts of food I was eating.
  • redarcha
    redarcha Posts: 3
    Options
    I didnt realise:smile: that will be reaching for the water first now
  • lilicov81
    Options
    I drink cold water throughout the day, and I cut down on carbs and sugar -I love carbs but the more I eat the hungrier I get so I really had to watch how much carbs I have ( or replace them with good whole grain ). It works for me :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I didnt realise:smile: that will be reaching for the water first now

Yes, drink water. But read these, too:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

You need to tweak your MFP settings so that your intake is sustainable and you eat the right things. Sufficient protein intake is important to retain lean body mass (as opposed to the fat); also, bad things will happen if your caloric deficit is too big. You need to eat enough to sustain your basic metabolic functions in order to lose weight in a healthy way.
  • eileenm777
    eileenm777 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am often hungry, too, or so I think! A friend told me to ask myself, "Will an apple do?" whenever I want to pig out.
    If I answer 'yes', it means I am probably actually hungry, so I eat an apple. If I answer, 'no', it's probably a craving and I try to tell myself to wait 10 minutes. Usually the urge goes away.
    A coffee or tea often helps me, too!
    BTW, I'd love to add you as a friend, so interested in your degree and I absolutely love Australia. (I'm from Vancouver)
    :smile: