getting very dizzy when running?

Options
meeper123
meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
I find myself getting super dizzy when running even throwing up i eat a good sized meal before and after and the dizziness doesnt last after i workout. Is this something to worry about or just a result of my heartrate getting up there?

Replies

• adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Breathing problems? I'm not sure, but it's possible you're not getting enough oxygen.

Also, if you'reeating a lot right before you run, that could be problematic (eating something within 30 minutes is a good idea, but a big meal five minutes before isn't the best).

Of course, I'm not a doctor and don't really know anything.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Call your doctor. Seriously. If you are eating enough in general, and you're not pregnant, call your doctor.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    No you probably shouldn't be feeling dizzy or throwing up after running. Maybe you should see a doctor? Certainly nobody here is qualified to give you any medical advice, myself included.
  • Ecce_Signum
    Ecce_Signum Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I find myself getting super dizzy when running even throwing up i eat a good sized meal before and after and the dizziness doesnt last after i workout. Is this something to worry about or just a result of my heartrate getting up there?
    Hard to say without knowing more about your running time/pace etc but no, you should not be throwing up or being dizzy during every run! (though may feel like doing both during intervals/pace runs etc). When you say you eat a good sized meal before running how long before running? Most people suggest not running for 2-3 hours before a run and I can get up and run for 10 miles on one banana going at a slow pace.

If you give us some more information about your general fitness levels and running frequency/pace more knowledgeable people might be able to help :)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I only get dizzy while running if I am really pushing my heart rate, and that is only during a few sprint sessions a year. It's generally not a good thing, and throwing up is no bueno.

A lot of food right before is probably not the right strategy for you. At most I'll do a banana and some peanut butter a half hour before, and that is for runs of 10 miles or longer.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    This could be a lot of things. (medications, hypoglycemia, malnutrition, low salt, pregnancy, overexertion, too much food in the stomach, dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, etc). My guess would be that you are running faster than a conversational pace and just need to dial it back. But, this seems unusual to me and I would want to rule out the possibility that it could be serious. So, to rule that out, please consult with a doctor on this.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Please don't ask a bunch of internet strangers to diagnose you. Having regular dizzy spells and throwing up when you run could be quite a few things and only your doctor can tell. Please go to the doctor.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    How soon before you run are you eating a meal? I would eat a meal of easily digestible carbs ~2 hours before your run.

You should also slow down to the point where you can at least sort of talk, but not enough where you can sing.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Call your doctor. Seriously. If you are eating enough in general, and you're not pregnant, call your doctor.

This^ I've only puked 3 times in 3.5 years of running. And only got dizzy once; while I was climbing a steep hill in a trail race.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Ok made an appointment but it was 30 mins before run to 40 that i was eating it was intervals and my heartrate was jumping up to 180 if not higher because my heart rate monitor says 00 after i go over that
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Hey, curious, what was it after?

If you still don't know there are many variables involve but like someone else said make sure you're eating enough etc (is your deficit big?).

With that said I have the same problem, even when I'm gaining weight, and my heart rate is WAYYYyyy up there (I also break heartrate monitors). I just got a EKG done, I hope your doctor does the same for you.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Good that you are going to see your doc. I do occasionally have dizziness and nausea when I run, for me it's generally dehydration.
  • qasim91
    qasim91 Posts: 25
    Options
    Good you made an appointment. The only time I've ever felt dizzy when running was when I first started out, a couple of times, but then I guess my body got used to it.
  • lastlovenight
    Options
    Ok i run everyday and day by day i am dissy i thought up it is cause Yah u don't excuse
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Could be an inner ear thing, but I'd check with a doctor. What does your heart rate do, do you know?
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Did you figure this out? I have been trying to figure out if I get dizzy because of my new glasses prescription or if there's something else going on. It's usually only around the first mile mark, and then it goes away.

Edited to add: I've talked with my doc about it, but because I don't have anything weird going on with my heart he didn't seem too concerned...
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I have gotten dizzy at times when running and also nauseated at times. It doesn't happen often. I am mildly hypoglycemic and when I've gotten dizzy or light-headed, it was because I hadn't eaten enough, or more carbs and not enough protein. The few times I've gotten nauseated, it was when i tried running after lunch instead of after breakfast and I think I'd had too heavy of a meal. even though I ran about an hour after I ate, it still seemed to throw me off. I also got dizzy and light-headed very easily when pregnant.

At any rate, I'm glad you made an appt and hope your dr is able to help you.