How do I cut sugar from my diet?

Options
niqua215
niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
So I've decided to cut back drastically on simple sugars and processed foods from my diet. I've been doing so for the past two days. Or at least I've tried. I'm going to the grocery store on Friday so what do I need to buy? I know fresh fruit and veggies and lean meats but what other staples do I need? I usually get honey wheat bread but I take it that's not good either? Any grain bread, wraps recommendations? Are wheat crackers a no as well? What about turkey bacon/sausage? Trying to clean up my diet cause my weight loss has completely stopped.

Help!!!

Replies

• amymina
    amymina Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    For bread, my husband and I use bagel thins which are 110 calories. Each one has different fiber and protein amnts, so make sure to look at those. On this I usually put laughing cow cheese instead of cheese or mayo, and then I like both cajun and buffalo turkey. Very yummy. As for carbs, I do allow myself some. I buy lara bars (maybe in specialty food section of your store) in place of candy bars if you want something. For example, the cherry pie lara bar is made out of unsweetened cheeries, almonds and dates, it is 200 calories and is delicious. I like "pop corners" which is popcorn put together in the shape of a nacho chips. 130 cals for one ounce. Start looking around for things like that and you will find things you love. And everything for you will be trial and error.
  • niqua215
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions
  • Otchcake
    Otchcake Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi!!

Sugar has been my enemy for months! Yesterday was my first day back eating healthy and conquering my sugar addiction. If you'd like to check out what I eat I have an open diary. Although I don't have any suggestions right away you're more than welcome to send a friend request and you can follow what I eat on a daily basis :)
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Learn to look for anything on the label that ends with "ose". Glucose, fructose, dextrose etc those are things you want to avoid or limit pretty severely.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Read your labels or better yet don't buy anything with a label. Also normally low fat or fat free prepackaged foods have a ton of sugar added to make up for the lack of fat.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    This is a serious problem for me as well :(
  • tabbyxxcat
    tabbyxxcat Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to the natural sugars, especially the ones that come from fruit. I feel like those are the least harmful, even though fruit is naturally super sweet (that makes it all the better, right?)

You are taking a very good step by staying away from processed foods. Sugar and sodium are two things that they like to coat the food in!!!! By preparing your own food, at least you can control what amounts of ingredients are being put into them.

Make sure you check all of your options on the foods you DO buy. For example, one of my loves in this world is a little cup of greek yogurt with some sort of fruit on top. Nothing could ever brighten up my morning more than that ^^ (well, maybe a cup of starbucks, but that's more for the actual waking up part). However, a lot of those already prepared cups (versus the big containers where you could scoop out your own yogurt each morning) have A LOT of added sugar. I have to dig through the brands and flavors to find lower sugar content, on top of lower calories and higher protein and such. But it is do-able, I promise.

Cutting sugar is hard to do, all I have to do is eat breakfast and I'm often over my limit. So a definite good luck to you!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Hack saw
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Multigrain bread, rye wraps, I avoid all crackers etc. such a waste of calories in my opinion, also avoid fruit / snack bars that claim to be healthy, lots of sugar in them too, avoid dried fruit i.e. dried apricot, sultanas etc heaps of sugar and calories...

Literally turn over every box and look at the Nutritional information - look at carbohydrates and then look at sugars... if they're too high, put them back. Even some yoghurts are stacked full of sugar - I almost crashed the trolley when I read that! Up & Go drinks in the morning are full of sugar too.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I've been working at cutting down sugars for the past month and try to eat very little processed food. I have my food diary open to my friends, feel free to add me if you like and you can scope out my foods. Sugar hides in places you'd never expect as does another killer......sodium. Best of luck to you!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Check out the Nom Nom Paleo blog. Her recipes are awesome (even if you're not paleo...I'm not). She did a Whole30 challenge (two of them actually) which emphasises whole foods and cuts out added sugar.

Here's what she made for her 2nd Whole30 challenge: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/16824406467/the-whole30-recap-every-single-day
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If you can avoid canned soups and sauces, you will avoid a lot of extra sugar. I have also noticed that a lot of low fat, or "lite" products have more sugar because they are trying to make it taste better- even things that aren't sweet like low fat versions of salad dressing, cream cheese, sour cream, bread and chips. I make my own soups and spaghetti sauce now without added sugar. I also use heavy whipping cream diluted with water in my recipes instead of milk because 8 ounces of fat free milk has 12 grams of sugar (and 90 calories), and 2 tablespoon of heavy whipping cream in 8 ounces of water has less than 1 gram of sugar (and 100 calories).
  • lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is label reading. Beware, this can add one hour or more to your shopping trip. Sugar is hidden in everything. What brings it to your attention is label reading. Per serving. Be sure you are monitoring your sugar grams on MFP. Red mean stop! (except under fiber). Fruit is high in sugar as well. Choose low glycemic fruits such as berries. Google low glycemic fruits and a list will come up. Increase your veggies. You will be surprised how your sugar increases as well. For example, four cups of cabbage has a lot of sugar. But it is not processed. Veggies are always a good option when you decrease fruits. Sugar is in milk, so try unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I buy high fiber cereals and have to read the labels carefully to select brands lower in sugar. If you have the MFP app on your phone, log in the food in the grocery store. It will tell you right then. I buy whole grain sandwhich thins. Less sugar and sodium. I also eat them sparingly. Also watch salad dressings. More sugar is added when the product is low fat or no fat. Process mean added something. Peanut butter can have added sugar. Read your label. It should say peanuts only. If you are not watching sodium then salt might be ok for you. Anything more than peanuts, you don't need it. It takes a minute to adjust to decreased sugars. But you will then find you can taste the natural sugar in food. The example I gave about cabbage comes to mind. It actually taste sweet to me when I eat it now. I love being able to "taste" my food now.
  • niqua215
    Options
    Hack saw

LOL
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    avoid low fat or fat free dairy. when they remove the fat from it, they add sugars to make it taste better. we have switched to full fat dairy in our household and that *kitten* is goooood.
  • niqua215
    Options
    Great advice everyone! Thanks! Any suggestion on yogurts?
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

I've heard that Fage Greek yogurt is really good but have yet to try it. Finding full fat can be a little more difficult so it might take some digging.

edited to add: i read that Trade Joes has their own full fat yogurt that is good if you can't find Fage.
  • niqua215
    Options
    Went to the grocery store today, got lots of lean meats, fruit and veggies for the week but skipped the yogurt because of the added sugar.
  • DanielleWatson83
    DanielleWatson83 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

I've heard that Fage Greek yogurt is really good but have yet to try it. Finding full fat can be a little more difficult so it might take some digging.

edited to add: i read that Trade Joes has their own full fat yogurt that is good if you can't find Fage.

try chobani champions low fat yogort its in a tube, u freeze it.. for the summer or any warm weather its great!! 70 cal 1g fat sod 25mg sugars 8g and has 5g of proteine ...now i looked on the back and from what i see is its made of all natrual fruit , so thats where the sugar is coming from!
  • niqua215
    Options

Thanks I'll look it up.

try chobani champions low fat yogort its in a tube, u freeze it.. for the summer or any warm weather its great!! 70 cal 1g fat sod 25mg sugars 8g and has 5g of proteine ...now i looked on the back and from what i see is its made of all natrual fruit , so thats where the sugar is coming from!