Interested In HR management

Options
sunshine92
sunshine92 Posts: 228 Member
ok so this is so totally unrelated...but you guys are so great and I would love some input...I start college in the fall and as of right now my major is Business Management with a concentration in Human Resources....however, I don't know anyone personally that is an HR manager...if there are any on here I'm just wondering if you enjoy your job, are there good job opportunities, is it stressful, is it a good living, etc....

Replies

• canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm an HR manager. Just like any job it can be wonderful and it can be horrible. A lot depends on whether the company you work for views HR as a valuable asset and partner at the table or "overhead" that keeps them from doing the (sometimes illegal) things they want to do. It also depends on whether they value their employees or feel that they could replace everyone with someone walking out of the 7-11 right now.

I specialize in Labour Relations dealing with Unions and that can be thankless because it is more confrontational than any of the other aspects of HR. It helps if you are thick skinned.

However, any job is what you make of it. Good attitudes and respect go a long way.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I've worked in HRM for state government for over 3 years. Suffice it to say HR is not my ideal profession by any stretch of the imagination. I also don't make much money, but that's typical for any state government job regardless of the field. I make so little money, I actually have a part time job delivering pizzas.... which is a job I actually prefer over HR. :laugh: If the benefits were the same, I'd honestly just deliver pizza full time. Sadly enough, I often make more money per hour at my part-time job.

I never wanted to work in HR, it just happened to be the first decent job I was offered right out of college. After 1.5 years in my first HR position I was able to transfer between state agencies out of a horrible work environment. Now I at least enjoy my coworkers if nothing else. I have a BA in Psychology and I plan to go back to school in 2011 to get my masters in Library & Information Science so I can get the heck out of HR for good. :tongue:

As far as jobs go, it certainly beats a lot of other options. It's just not my cup of tea.
  • sunshine92
    sunshine92 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Oh wow...thanks :)