how long do you wait to jog after eating

Options
:) new to running in general.. usually get a cramp easily especially after drinking water. just wondering, how long should you wait after eating a big meal (dinner) til jogging and feeling okay

Replies

• thatonepersonfromtheinternet
    Options
    I usually run after a mid-day snack or something - never after a big meal. The more you eat, the more cramps you'll get so I avoid running right after meals. I tend to run about half an hour after snacks though.
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    I try to run on an empty stomach, or at least an hour after a small snack. It makes me really nauseous otherwise. Water doesn't bother me, though.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have a cast iron stomach. If it weren't for choking hazards, I could eat WHILE running. :laugh:
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I wait at least an hour but if my meal was heavy then I wait two.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I run in the morning, on an empty stomach.

The problem you are having is known as "runner's trots"--look it up for advice on runner's sites and forums. There are a lot of things you can change in your diet before running days, like reducing fiber (gasp, I know).
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I always eat big meals after working out or running. Feel blah if I have a big meal before. I would say at least an hour to start and then see how your body handles it.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I have to run on an empty stomach or i throw up x.x i wait at least an hour
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    About an hour after a meal... 15-30m if I've just eaten something light. I don't really have problems with cramps if I run sooner, just doesn't feel as "comfortable" for some reason.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I discovered tonight that I don't like running after a heavy meal. After a light snack or a latte though - that's perfect for me.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

The problem you are having is known as "runner's trots"--look it up for advice on runner's sites and forums. There are a lot of things you can change in your diet before running days, like reducing fiber (gasp, I know).

when i was in bootcamp, my instructor told me to raise one arm, and put pressure on the cramped area with my other hand, and breathe really deep. it works like a charm.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

when i was in bootcamp, my instructor told me to raise one arm, and put pressure on the cramped area with my other hand, and breathe really deep. it works like a charm.

Hah, I'll try that!

Actually, there are two things going on here, possibly. One is the standard cramps ("stitch in one side") that you get from running. The "runner's trots" problem is ... of a digestive nature. The cramps will be in your bowels. The causes are different, and the fixes are, too. For the stitch in one side problem, going too fast or running with bad posture can be the cause. I think the fix you describe allows the muscles in the trouble area to relax and uncramp. I was talking more about the digestive problem, and the fix for that lies in the content and timing of meals.
  • mrk1185
    mrk1185 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Depends how long the run is and how I feel. If I'm running after breakfast I usually try to give it 45 minutes to an hour.

When I do my long runs super early though, I usually have a banana, some peanut butter, and marmite on toast and head out after 20 minutes or so.

I would say give yourself more time at first though, and after awhile you'll know when your body is ready to hit the road.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Forty-five minutes to an hour. Unless it is something little and light, like a piece of toast. Then I wait, maybe, 15 minutes.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Personally : I like to eat something small about 45 mins to an hour beforehand. Toast or a piece of stringed cheese and fruit or something. Big meals make me lethargic.

Also, I can't eat bananas before running. Weird? Perhaps... but I get sick every time.
  • ashuley
    ashuley Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    this is great guys, good tips! I see a lot of people leaning on light meals/no meals at all for the usual routine so i shall try running early in the mornings and see how they go.. cardio is challenging for me lol!
    ty again