Yoga question

Options
I have recently started to practice different types of yoga, all performed in a "hot" setting 95 degrees or more. But sometimes when I do some of the poses my ankles hurt. I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience before? Or could give me some advice about it. I'm not sure if its because I'm weak? I'm trying something new? Or I'm doing it wrong? If it keeps happening I will ask the instructor about it.

Replies

• ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Yoga should never hurt. If you feel pain then you may need to modify the pose a bit. Your instructor should be able to help you with some modifications. Any yoga instructor worth their salt should be adjusting you if you are doing anything "wrong".

Many poses can be very challenging for beginners. Be sure you are taking classes appropriate for your readiness level.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    When do your ankles hurt? In standing poses? Seated poses? Which ones? Ankles can be tight just like any other area of the body. Some poses, like Virabhadrasana 1 (Warrior 1) can be difficult for those with tight ankles.
  • Shenanagins85
    Shenanagins85 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    When do your ankles hurt? In standing poses? Seated poses? Which ones? Ankles can be tight just like any other area of the body. Some poses, like Virabhadrasana 1 (Warrior 1) can be difficult for those with tight ankles.

Standing poses. Are there stretches for ankles? :/ hmm
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    There are stretches for the ankles. 1. You can sit on your feet in vajrasana - basically kneeling with the feet under the buttocks, 2. then turn your toes under and stretch the backs of your feet, this also stretches the back of the ankle 3. turn your toes toward each other and sit in the saddle of your foot, switch the foot on top. 4. Malasana, which is a low squat with the feet together, knees apart, also stretches the ankle. 5. almost all the standing poses strengthen and stretch the ankles as well.