Heart Rate monitoring

Options
I am trying to loose some weight and have been told many times to get a heart rate monitor to help with this goal. I finally found one that didn't break the bank and was so excited to use it and also figured that it would come with a full set of instructions...nope just how to operate the thing. So I need some help knowing where my heart rate should be to loose weight. My watch is set up with 'below zone', 'zone' and 'above zone'. It also has a chest strap to do continuous monitoring. I have heard that if I go above 'zone' then I am not loosing fat only muscle. HELP! Maybe someone can explain it a little better for me!!?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    First, you want to LOSE weight. As for the HRM, forget the zones. Do your workouts to the best of your ability and don't try to stay in any zone. The whole zone thing is bunk. If your HR is elevated, you're burning extra calories. Also a HRM is made to be worn during steady state cardio exercise only. Things like running, cycling, aerobics, etc. Not all day or for strength training.
  • thomcand
    thomcand Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    First, you want to LOSE weight. As for the HRM, forget the zones. Do your workouts to the best of your ability and don't try to stay in any zone. The whole zone thing is bunk. If your HR is elevated, you're burning extra calories. Also a HRM is made to be worn during steady state cardio exercise only. Things like running, cycling, aerobics, etc. Not all day or for strength training.

Hmmm...I guess everything I have been told is different from this so now I am more confused..I was also under the impression that cardio helps you loose weight. I am only wearing HRM during cardio exercise so I am ok there.
  • Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bump