McDonald's Diet? Man loses 80 lbs.

Options
I'm not sure this is the healthiest way to lose weight--right up there with Jared's Subway 'diet."
Although at least this guy did get in salads and stuff.
=====================================================================

VIRGINIA: Man says he shed 80 pounds after eating at McDonald's

Associated Press

QUINTON, Va. — A Virginia man lost about 80 pounds in six months by eating nearly every meal at McDonald's.

Not Big Macs, french fries and chocolate shakes. Mostly salads, wraps and apple dippers without the caramel sauce.

Chris Coleson tipped the scales at 278 pounds in December. The 5-foot-8 Coleson now weighs 199 pounds and his waist size has dropped from 50 to 36.

The 42-year-old businessman from Quinton says he chose McDonald's because it's convenient.

His inspiration came from his two children and from the story of a blind war veteran who rode a tandem bicycle cross-country.

Coleson says his goal is to get back to the 185 pounds he weighed when he married Tricia Summer. Their 10th anniversary is Saturday.

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure this is the healthiest way to lose weight--right up there with Jared's Subway 'diet."
    Although at least this guy did get in salads and stuff.
    =====================================================================

VIRGINIA: Man says he shed 80 pounds after eating at McDonald's

Associated Press

QUINTON, Va. — A Virginia man lost about 80 pounds in six months by eating nearly every meal at McDonald's.

Not Big Macs, french fries and chocolate shakes. Mostly salads, wraps and apple dippers without the caramel sauce.

Chris Coleson tipped the scales at 278 pounds in December. The 5-foot-8 Coleson now weighs 199 pounds and his waist size has dropped from 50 to 36.

The 42-year-old businessman from Quinton says he chose McDonald's because it's convenient.

His inspiration came from his two children and from the story of a blind war veteran who rode a tandem bicycle cross-country.

Coleson says his goal is to get back to the 185 pounds he weighed when he married Tricia Summer. Their 10th anniversary is Saturday.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Micky-D's - {{blleeeeeeechhh}} Their lettuce tastes like it comes from the bottom of a disposal. :sick:

(Don't ask how I know this) :ohwell:
  • mholmes
    mholmes Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Micky-D's - {{blleeeeeeechhh}} Their lettuce tastes like it comes from the bottom of a disposal. :sick:

Yes... it is disgusting and couldn't he have just bought the stuff and prepared it himself ? These are pretty basic foods ya know
  • divalovesyou1
    Options
    I will admit I love Mcdonalds fries and Burger Kings Burgers! Put those two together and there goes a hell of a meal!! :love:

However, I've been convincing myself that those foods is the devil and I have to stay away from them LOL!

As for the guy eating apple dippers and salads and losing all that weight! I think he couldn't have done that by just eating Mcdonalds! I sure excercise had to be thrown in the mix some where right?:huh:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    *caugh*
    bull$#!+
    *caugh*

A mcdonalds salad can contain as much as 1200 calories, unless they completely changed how they made them. Also, their wraps are made with chicken select strips, which are possibly one of the most harmful things on the McDonalds menu.

I'm thinking this guy has a nice check from mcdonalds waiting in his mailbox.
    OR
    "Nearly every meal" means once or twice a week.
  • divalovesyou1
    Options
    LOL:laugh: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I agree::bigsmile:
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    nope, don't believe it.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not buying that story either. Something fishy going on there. And I don't mean their fillet sandwich. :noway:
  • lifesaver
    lifesaver Posts: 132
    Options
    hahahh that's pretty stupid. even if he did, why didn't he just buy the apples/salad stuff himself! wasted a lot of money ...
  • runawaybride
    runawaybride Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I actually say "good for him"

I mean really if he went from possible eating big macs and fries to switching to salads , apple dippers, and healthy alternatives then before then he can teach everyone a lesson....that when it comes to eating out you can still go somewhere like a McDonalds but it is the decision to make the healthier choices that make all the difference. I say congrats to that and hopefully when I have to make the decision between a burger and fries or a salad I opt for the salad.

:flowerforyou:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Well, it's all math, calories in and calories out. I know one of my favorite things is the Southwest Salad at McDonalds with grilled chicken and it's a light choice.

That being said, why on earth would someone want to limit their choices so severely. I think most of us are into eating healthy for the long haul and variety is our friend. I'm trying to develop a couple of light choices at most common restaurants so I can accept an invitation from a friend for lunch and know I can stay on my plan. Some places are tougher than others.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Well, it's all math, calories in and calories out. I know one of my favorite things is the Southwest Salad at McDonalds with grilled chicken and it's a light choice.

That being said, why on earth would someone want to limit their choices so severely. I think most of us are into eating healthy for the long haul and variety is our friend. I'm trying to develop a couple of light choices at most common restaurants so I can accept an invitation from a friend for lunch and know I can stay on my plan. Some places are tougher than others.

If you come up with one for applebees let me know, my friends love going there for half priced appetizers!
  • runawaybride
    runawaybride Posts: 400 Member
    Options

If you come up with one for applebees let me know, my friends love going there for half priced appetizers!

Applebee's has many lower cal options as this is one of my fav places to eat out and still stay within your boundaries....they offer WW ones too that are low in cals...or just eat half of an appetizer and chug some water ....you can look up the nutrition before hand and maybe alter the day around that !!!:flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

Shannon - I think the same thing! To me, their food, when fresh, smells like garbage!
    (Don't ask how I know either)...
    :ohwell:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

Shannon - I think the same thing! To me, their food, when fresh, smells like garbage!
    (Don't ask how I know either)...
    :ohwell:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to do those quote boxes yet, but I also think Applebees is fairly easy. They have the Weight Watcher choices that have all the calories listed.

That being said, and this is true with all restaurants, the nutrition information is derived in a test kitchen where everything is measured accurately. In real life it isn't measured that accurately, so look at things and see if you thing their numbers make sense. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is and limit your portions accordingly.
  • tiliquinones
    Options
    THIS IS VERY POSSIBLE! I'M SURE EXERCISE HAD A LOT TO DO WITH IT THOUGH! PROBABLY A LOT OF STRENGTH TRAINING IF HE LOST THAT MANY INCHES AROUND HIS WAIST!
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Where in the heck does one find that much money lying around? That had to be expensive.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Just treated myself to a Parfait...nummy!
    The salads are definitely not something I would want to eat everyday. What is wrong with that guy?
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Better put my waders on.