What am I doing wrong?

Options
So I've been doing well eating right and started exercising more and more frequently. Since the beginning I've come down nearly 25 lbs and thats about 1/4th of my goal. Now the problem I"m facing is not motivation thats bothering me it's I"m not able to prove any loss by anything other then the scale...

I took measurements of various places on my body at the beginning of this mess and they are EXACTLY the same as they are now almost 5 months later. NOTHING has changed. I had one person mention that I'm "looking good" but it's a gym employee and I have a hard time relying on that.

WHAT IS MY PROBLEM?

Andy

Replies

• heatherforever222
    heatherforever222 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    HI Andy. I have felt the same way this past month but I a losing because I weigh in every Friday morning. losing weight the proper way is slow and sometimes tedious but you are losing. Just try not to expect overnight results and take it one week at a time. If u focus on the scale or focus on the amount you need to lose instead of how far you've come, your doing yourself and your success a disservice.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    So I've been doing well eating right and started exercising more and more frequently. Since the beginning I've come down nearly 25 lbs and thats about 1/4th of my goal. Now the problem I"m facing is not motivation thats bothering me it's I"m not able to prove any loss by anything other then the scale...

I took measurements of various places on my body at the beginning of this mess and they are EXACTLY the same as they are now almost 5 months later. NOTHING has changed. I had one person mention that I'm "looking good" but it's a gym employee and I have a hard time relying on that.

WHAT IS MY PROBLEM?

Andy

Looking through your diary, your calories are all over the place. some days are as low as 1200 and some are as high as 1800.

Even at 1800, being a man who is lifting, I suspect you need to eat a lot more.

I suggest you go here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-at-easy

This way will give you a SET amount to eat every day based on an average calorie burn. Eat consistent, Lose consistent.

This is a different approach then MFP's default settings. You eat the same calories every day instead of worrying about how many calories you burn through exercise. It's a bit simpler for a lot of people.

Try this for at least 4 weeks.
  • arstueck
    arstueck Posts: 2
    Options
    Don't get me wrong I have been losing consistently (according to the scale) I don't "lift" because I'm not interested in hulking out rather I'm only interested in shedding the extra weight. Perhaps later ill consider building more muscle but not likely.

As for the comment about the calorie consumption being too low I understand what you are trying to say however I was my heaviest when I would consume roughly 2200 calories daily. So while I may not be consistently bringing in my goal of 1500 I canno complain with those results.

The issue I was trying to approach was simply the weight loss is not being reflected in measurements. I am exactly the same size now as I was at my largest (310 lbs).

Thanks for the replies
  • CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Try the lifting or programs such as the 30 Day Shred if you want smaller measurements. It does work! Not all lifting will cause you to bulk up. My husband lifts all the time and he has toned up; therefore his measurements are smaller. His pants are hanging on him, but his rear end is no longer hanging. :wink:
  • abelmorales3150
    Options
    Hey Andy,

I've been there and done that. So a few things to do:

1. Keep taking measurements like you've been doing every 2 - 4 weeks
    2. Switch your workout

Depending on what workout you're doing, you might've hit a plateau. What you need to do is get on some type of workout that is designed to be a full body workout -- not just cardio (if that's what you're doing). It's easy to hit a plateau if cardio is you're primary workout to lose weight.

In order to lose weight, you'll need to do a FULL BODY workout.

Send me a PM and we'll chat some more.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong I have been losing consistently (according to the scale) I don't "lift" because I'm not interested in hulking out rather I'm only interested in shedding the extra weight. Perhaps later ill consider building more muscle but not likely.

As for the comment about the calorie consumption being too low I understand what you are trying to say however I was my heaviest when I would consume roughly 2200 calories daily. So while I may not be consistently bringing in my goal of 1500 I canno complain with those results.

The issue I was trying to approach was simply the weight loss is not being reflected in measurements. I am exactly the same size now as I was at my largest (310 lbs).

Thanks for the replies

First of all, you can't "hulk out" on a calorie deficit. Lifting keeps your lean muscle while you lose fat.

Have you measured all over? I've lost 65 pounds (started at 300) and around my waist, I've only lost 4 inches, but I've gone down 2 t-shirt sizes.

If you are happy with your rate of weight loss, keep doing what you're doing until you stall. I'd still suggest just reading the link I provided above.
  • tsdaughe
    tsdaughe Posts: 88
    Options
    I looked through your diary. First, congrats on the weight you have lost. First off, your calories are all over the place with inconsistent logging. Your sodium is high and your protein is low. You are also eating alot of sweets and process foods such as chicken nuggets. Increase fruits, vegetables and real lean protein such as beef, chicken, fish, etc.

Find the In Place of a Road Map here on MFP and follow that. I am a women and weigh 166.4 lbs. I eat an average of 1700 calories per day WITHOUT exercising right now due to hurting my knee and I am losing weight an inches. Even if you want to stick with 1500 for now that is fine. If you are losing weight and not inches it is because you are probably losing muscles instead of just fat. Adding strength/resistance training or weights will help protect your lean mass and encourage fat and inch loss.

So in summary:
    1. Log everything (even on a bindge day)
    2. watch the sodium
    3. Reduce processed food
    4. Increase lean meats/proteins
    5. Eat more veggies and fruit
    5. Reduce the sweets (brownies, reeses pieces, rice crispy treats)
    6. Increase protein with protein shakes, bars, non fat milk, eggs (whites), etc.

And really check out in place of a road map. there is no way you got to the weight your at by eating 2200 calories a day. I know because even as a women i was probably having to eat 2500 calories+ a day to get where I was. Also, this is a lifestyle change and not a race. You will get there. Keep up the good work!
  • mdraper60
    mdraper60 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    When I first started I didn't see any results with inches lost. Someone suggested to me that I take a picture of myself at my heaviest and a picture of myself where I was at and put them side by side, I did see a difference that way even though I didn't when I was measuring. Measuring can be hard, just putting the tape in a little bit of a different place can not show the results. Just a suggestion! Also, like other suggested, try doing some lifting. Even light lifting will help tone you up a little bit without "hulking out" :smile:

Hope you get it figured out so you can see the results you want! Just remember that you are still doing your body a favor and have come a long way just by trying!!