Getting dizzy and sick during a workout

Options
salp02
salp02 Posts: 24 Member
Ive been doing a class for about 3 weeks now, and today, I had intense queaziness and was super dizzy. Someone told me I need more protein before the class. I had a protein bar before the class, but it didnt help. Anyone else have this issue? I need some advice on what to do! I like this Cardio Kickboxing class!

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing a class for about 3 weeks now, and today, I had intense queaziness and was super dizzy. Someone told me I need more protein before the class. I had a protein bar before the class, but it didnt help. Anyone else have this issue? I need some advice on what to do! I like this Cardio Kickboxing class!
    I had this issue when I wasn't eating enough. Is your deficit to high? Check out this thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • HoneyPie99
    Options
    You could have low blood sugar. Sometimes it happens to me. You need carb for low blood sugar. eat a few cheese and crackers 15 mins or so before workout.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like not enough nutrients throughout the day. Shooting blind but absolutely symptomatic of trying to force your body to vigorous exercise when you haven't been feeding it.

Regardless, protein *before* your workout wouldn't resolve the situation. Consider a piece of fruit or something else with quickly-metabolized energy.
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think you may need to drink more water while you're working out. Take a minute or two and stop to take a qucik sip, catch a small breather, then join back in. Your body may simply have an elevated heart rate. But, I'm sure you know that if it persists, contact your doctor.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Back when I used to take Tae Kwon Do classes I found that I needed to eat something pretty substantial beforehand or I'd get nauseous and dizzy. Since it was right after work I'd usually stop for a sandwich and eat it in the parking lot before I went in. Not very glamorous I know, but better than passing out in class.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I think you may need to drink more water while you're working out. Take a minute or two and stop to take a qucik sip, catch a small breather, then join back in. Your body may simply have an elevated heart rate. But, I'm sure you know that if it persists, contact your doctor.

I find that drinking alot of water during workout makes me feel worse, All that sloshing around in my tummy and sitch if your doing cadio.

I was having the same problem so i started eating more carbs for lunch eg adding 1/2 a cup of brown rice to my lunch then having a light meal before going of some fruit or veg sticks. and i havnt been sick since (apart from after having a serious butt kicking work out)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I would make sure you eat enough daily. I cannot eat before a workout or I get sick too, but not dizzy. If you are eating enough and still getting dizzy and sick, ask your doctor. it could be a million different things like anemia, low blood sugar, low blood pressure, etc...
  • Requiembell
    Requiembell Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Yup, just recently had this issue. I had my goal for weight loss to be 2 pounds a week and I upped it to 1 pound a week. Dizziness is gone. (and I have 50 or so pounds to lose, so 2 pounds a week is not crazy for me)
  • Goin4goal
    Goin4goal Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    This happened to me while doing a Zumba class. I was the one in the class that was drenched in sweat. Turns out I was dehydrated and needed electrolytes. From then on I would take a small bottle of Gatorade with me along with my water. Worked great!
  • Requiembell
    Requiembell Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    This happened to me while doing a Zumba class. I was the one in the class that was drenched in sweat. Turns out I was dehydrated and needed electrolytes. From then on I would take a small bottle of Gatorade with me along with my water. Worked great!

Probably had more to do with the sugar in the in the drink. Lack of electrolytes usually causes cramps.

The trouble is you need more food.

Here are other people that need more food.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/919346-still-think-your-1200-or-less-diet-is-a-good-idea
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Be sure that 1. you are eating a good meal about 1hr beforehand. YOU NEED CARBS. Unless you want to just waste away your muscle? :)

2. drink fluids. I basically faint after working out if I don't down 2-3 bottles at the gym.

I'm sure you'll figure it out, it'll likely be down to your diet though. Also be sure to get your blood pressure and maybe blood work checked as well
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options

I find that drinking alot of water during workout makes me feel worse, All that sloshing around in my tummy and sitch if your doing cadio.

I was having the same problem so i started eating more carbs for lunch eg adding 1/2 a cup of brown rice to my lunch then having a light meal before going of some fruit or veg sticks. and i havnt been sick since (apart from after having a serious butt kicking work out)

yeah I guess it depends. I find if my heart rate is 160-170 is best and I sip throughout my workout without feeling sick at all. However if I push too hard and get to around 200bpm and drink water I feel crappy. It's a hard balance!
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I had this issue when I wasn't eating enough. Is your deficit to high? Check out this thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

I did, too. Once I'd increased my calories to a decent level it never happened again.
  • nursecat1
    nursecat1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree with most gals--eat carbs before a workout. About 15mins before. Drink water during exercise,too. Crackers and OJ great choice.
  • scoleman58
    scoleman58 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Knowledge I have gained to share (I am NOT a doctor or personal trainer)
    1.) How do you fuel before you workout?
    2.) Do you hydrate enough?
    3.) Have you had a compete check-up/physical?

1.) Remember you need fuel in your body to workout, different foods and how they are consumed take different amounts of times to be processed and ready for use. Example, When I workout in the morning (about an hour after I wake-up ) I drink a meal replacement shake right after I wake up (100 calories) because liquid take about an hour for your body to absorb and be ready to use. When I work out in the later-day (about 4 or 5pm 2nd workout) I eat about 3 to 4 hours before depending on what I am consuming (protein, carbs, sugar etc.). It is very important to keep track of this if you are feeling this way. (PLEASE research food and digestion times)

2.) Make sure you are drinking enough water, when you wake up, during the day and in the evening. Especially if you work out 1 st thing in the morning. ALSO make sure you get enough sodium in your eating plan at the right times to stay hydrated. I had this problem, I was not consuming enough sodium so I would pee out all the liquids I would consume dehydrating myself. (PLEASE research Proper levels of sodium for an active person)

3.) Have a complete physical exam, this includes blood work. You need to know everything about your body so you can take care of it accordingly. (PLEASE see or talk to a doctor if this keeps happening)
  • nursecat1
    nursecat1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Do you take a multi-vitamin? Please do not take on an empty stomach. Yes, carbs, like crackers and orange juice will give you energy and keep your blood sugar even, while you exercise. Take this snack 15mins before the work out.
  • nino07110922
    nino07110922 Posts: 2,149
    Options

My wife had the same problem when we first started working out - severe enough that she spoke to the doctor about it. As mentioned by others, you may not be eating enough, or have low blood sugar. Now, before we go to the gym, my wife has a Tropical Smoothie - Kale and Spinach. Look it up - it's absolutely yummy, has a good levels of proteins, reasonable calories... and can be digested easily during your workout. Hope it helps.