6 pound gain one day?

Options
Even though I'd like to gain some weight, how did I end up gaining 6 ibs today? I did eat a lot for dinner and drank lots of water but still?

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    it's probably bloating and crap or a crappy scale..
  • cmmdance
    cmmdance Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Are you retaining fluid? What was your sodium for the day and yesterday?
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Even though I'd like to gain some weight, how did I end up gaining 6 ibs today? I did eat a lot for dinner and drank lots of water but still?

Happens to me all the time. I suggest only weighing in after just waking up with no food or water in your system. A lot of people suggest only weighing in once a week as well, as we often fluctuate throughout the week and this could be discouraging to you if you're trying your best. You're doin' it right. :) Keep it up!
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Did you start strength training recently? Sore muscles retain water. Also check your sodium intake (it will also make you retain water).

Did you weigh yourself in the morning after using the bathroom both days, or did you have a full stomach/bladder one of them? Is it possible that you are constipated? A sudden increase in food volume will do that if you just recently started trying to gain weight.
  • johnson0112
    johnson0112 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am a little constipated, and from how much I ate tonight i guess it's just the food. But my sodium has been like 3000mg for the past 3 days..
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I sometimes gain 4lbs in one day, usually the morning after eating out. I attribute it to the extra sodium and don't get discouraged unless the trend starts to go upwards. Sodium and cheese seem to add extra lbs for me.
  • dirtyd89
    dirtyd89 Posts: 170
    Options
    Water fluctuation.
    Water can affect your weight by 5-6 lbs daily but once flushed out you'll be back to your normal weight.
    Take me from me I drink 1 gallon of water per day.
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Water... Not only sodium intake, but also women usually retain water every month... and it can be 5lbs...
    And just now looked at your profile and saw you're a guy... :blushing: But for general info for the women reading the post...
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Definitely not real weight (that's impossible, you would have had to have eaten and absorbed at least around 24,000 calories total yesterday), so: crappy scale, water weight, clothes, bloating, weight of food, etc.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    You weighed yourself at the end of the day after eating dinner?
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    You weighed yourself at the end of the day after eating dinner?

This.

Why would you do that? You have food in your belly and you said you're constipated. And I'll bet you were fully clothed? Yeah, you didn't gain anything. Stay off the scale. Seriously. It induces panic.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I am a little constipated, and from how much I ate tonight i guess it's just the food. But my sodium has been like 3000mg for the past 3 days..

3000 each day? wow that's high, that would cause you to retain water for sure.
  • EgyptianGirlzCurlz
    Options
    Well there is a strong possibility that it is water weight, and also are you sure you are using the same scale to weigh yourself all the times and are you sure it is calibrated correctly?
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I gain 3 pounds every day after exercise. I gained 4 pounds just from sodium this week. Add that up and I gained 7 depressing pounds that lasted 2 days. All gone now. You have to be mentally aware of why you gain if you are going to weigh yourself every day. When I first started, I weighed myself after everything to see what the pattern is, but I try not panic. I am not always successful, but I do know what makes me gain and what makes me lose. I am a scale addict. Oh, that's hard for me to admit! LOL!
  • jhealy1191
    jhealy1191 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I gain 3 pounds every day after exercise. I gained 4 pounds just from sodium this week. Add that up and I gained 7 depressing pounds that lasted 2 days. All gone now. You have to be mentally aware of why you gain if you are going to weigh yourself every day. When I first started, I weighed myself after everything to see what the pattern is, but I try not panic. I am not always successful, but I do know what makes me gain and what makes me lose. I am a scale addict. Oh, that's hard for me to admit! LOL!

^ You and me both! :)
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Try weighing yourself in the morning after using the bathroom, but before eating. That will give you a consistent baseline from day to day.

The weight gain you saw was probably a combination of food, poop, and water retention from all that sodium.
  • Jenniferlynn54
    Jenniferlynn54 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Weight can fluctuate up to 8lbs day to day, so try not to stress about it unless you keep gaining =)
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    They should really make a sticky thread about weight fluctuations >.<
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    You must be pregnant and eating for 3.:laugh: :laugh:

It's water weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Best advice: Never judge progress on a scale. ESPECIALLY Day-to-Day weight. :flowerforyou: