Amazing sour cream substitute!

Options
tzipporah
tzipporah Posts: 42 Member
Just sort of discovered this....my sweet potato needed a little something *extra* and I had a leftover carton of plain organic Greek yogurt in the fridge. It's a great substitute for sour cream, tastes just like it (actually, even BETTER in conjunction with something like a sweet potato). Tasty, tangy, protein-filled, not too calorie filled.... :) Happy eating!

Replies

• tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I lived in Greece for a couple of years and used it all the time for sour cream as they don't have any in their dairy cases. Sometimes I would add a little lemon to give it even more of a zing. I still eat Greek yogurt daily (I prefer the Fage Total brand as it's what I ate over there), and love it in dressings, dips, and with a drizzle of honey for dessert!
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've never tried greek yogurt--I don't like regular yogurt--but I do like sour cream. Do you think that greek yogurt is something you can substitute to make a dip? Like ranch and french onion dip? Or just as a topping?
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Mmm mmm greek yogurt. I always buy Fage and it is a great sour cream substitute. I use it on my tacos :D
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    DUDE, I love that stuff so much I'm going to become a greek yogurtarian! Fage rules!!!

Cute bunny, BTW! :heart:
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Not trying to steal your thread, you might like to try this, line a colander with a couple layers of cheesecloth and put a container of yogurt in it. Place in the fride and let set 6-8 hours. It will end up being the consistancy of cream cheese, and very tasty!
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    You can also mix powered ranch dressing mix into Plain Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream) Makes a great dip or salad dressing! Very few calories and ALOT of flavor!
  • NurseWeber25
    Options
    I LOVE Greek Yogurt!! Mix it with fat free feta cheese to make a great spread on a turkey and roasted red bell peper sandwhich!!
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I do that too :) Just be careful if you are substituting it in something cooked (maybe I'm the only one silly enough to do this??) because it curdled a dinner I had made terribly :( and was only cooking for a few seconds!
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love greek yoghurt with honey...although my new favourite is with a bit of agave syrup!
  • tzipporah
    tzipporah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    A new use: I mashed up half an avocado, a little lemon/lime juice, salt/pepper/spice...and added a dollop of plain greek yogurt. After mixing it all up, I was presented with the most creamy, delicious avocado spread/guac in recent memory.