what is your motivation?

Options
Hey all! I'm just curious what your personal motivation is for weight loss? What keeps you from reaching for the chocolate or the cookie or whatever is your weakness?
For me it is wanting to fit into cute clothes from the boutiques that I walk by on my way to work everyday. Also to get healthy to beat my cancer and keep it from returning. (Really the second is more of a lifestyle change, but the former is what keeps me from reaching for the potato chips!)
what is your motivation?

Replies

• SamDanielleB
    Options
    My fiance is one, for sure. I can't help but want to look good for him.
    Also, I got a bellybutton piercing in January, and I want a stomach to show it off with during the summer. :)
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Ever since I had my knees replaced there's been a woman where I work who's been my motivation. She had her knees replaced several years ago, but she told me she rarely did the rehab exercises even right after the surgery, and she's gained a LOT of weight. I've said for a long time now that she's my motivation because her knees barely bend at all and it always looks like it's very painful for her just to get around. Well, I haven't seen her for quite a while and I saw her again today. She's gained even more weight and now she's walking with a cane. So yeah - she's my motivation to keep working at it so I can stay mobile and keep my quality of life.

And I'd really like to be able to shop for clothes in real stores and not in stores with 'large' sizes.
  • yrambot
    yrambot Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ever since I had my knees replaced there's been a woman where I work who's been my motivation. She had her knees replaced several years ago, but she told me she rarely did the rehab exercises even right after the surgery, and she's gained a LOT of weight. I've said for a long time now that she's my motivation because her knees barely bend at all and it always looks like it's very painful for her just to get around. Well, I haven't seen her for quite a while and I saw her again today. She's gained even more weight and now she's walking with a cane. So yeah - she's my motivation to keep working at it so I can stay mobile and keep my quality of life.

And I'd really like to be able to shop for clothes in real stores and not in stores with 'large' sizes.

wow! 107 lbs lost! good for you for sure! It is funny how sometimes it can be a positive motivation, and sometimes a negative one! I am genetically predisposed for hip replacement surgery sometime in my future, and my mom needs it right now but is too overweight for the surgery, so she is in a wheelchair. I need to not be there, for sure!
  • droppingdownto120
    Options
    Since motivation varies from person to person, I'll just throw in mine here too!

Honestly, being as short as I am, I'm so ashamed of how I look. I hate taking my clothing off, and I never believed that I was attractive. My boyfriend (who I only started dating about a month ago) keeps telling me I don't need to change.

My motivation comes from jealousy. He is 125 lbs soaking wet, fully clothed in winter gear. He is 5'9".

I started at 156 lbs, and I'm only 5'3".

Within the past 2 weeks I managed to drop 12 lbs!

I just want to feel beautiful in my own skin. This app actually helped me stop going for snacks. It literally felt like I was shamming myself every time I go over the calorie goal for the day.
  • friedmsw1
    friedmsw1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    1. I want to be able to walk without being in a lot of pain
    2. I am tired of being the fattest person in my family-immediate and extended
    3. I am tired of being the fattest person in my department at work-and it is a large department
    4. I am tired of taking a ton of medicine
    5. I am tired of being tired all the time
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The love handles that I see in the mirror every morning...
  • Requiembell
    Requiembell Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Also to get healthy to beat my cancer and keep it from returning. (Really the second is more of a lifestyle change, but the former is what keeps me from reaching for the potato chips!)
    what is your motivation?

Not get killed by cancer would be highly effing motivating for me. That kinda makes my thoughts seem more trivial.

Long run I want to be healthy and be able to move and enjoy myself when I retire.

Short run, I like to train for projects. Hard jobs at work. A race. A strenuous vacation. Whatever.
  • iceman7840
    iceman7840 Posts: 110
    Options
    A better quality of life is any and all the motivation I need.
  • Requiembell
    Requiembell Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    A better quality of life is any and all the motivation I need.

Hell yea! man! You are down 132! Well done!

Ever think of challenging yourself to something people a year and a half ago would have never thought you had been able?
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I hurt my back while training for a half marathon so I can't run until I strengthen my back and I have to lose weight to get the extra weight off my back. Plus I want to lose the 30lbs I gained from last summer as last summer I was finally wearing a bathing suit and shorts.
  • nick64quandry
    nick64quandry Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    my motivation is borderline diabeties
    high bloos pressure
    i done want to hure
    i dont hand to be tired
    i want more self confidance
    i want to look better

Nick Morgan

any can add me a a friend
  • sophasaurus
    Options
    I have a lot of reasons that motivate me but it's only recently I've started to really put my all into losing weight!
    I want to look good for my boyfriend. He loves me regardless of how I look but I can't help but feel self conscious of my weight all the time around him.
    I want to wear pretty little dresses and feel attractive in them when I go out with my friends and not feel like 'the fat one' of the group.
    I want to walk into a shop and know that I can fit into whatever I like instead of crossing my fingers they'll carry the larger sizes.
    I want to be the confident person I know I am on the inside, who doesn't shine on the outside.
    I just want to finally be happy with my body and myself, and be fit and healthy.
  • MidniteDayDream
    MidniteDayDream Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Two years ago when I started my journey my motivation was to lose weight so I could get pregnant. I suddenly got pregnant at about 40lbs lost. I only gained 20lbs during my pregnancy, but I wasn't able to get back into the groove to lose weight.

So here I am, 13 months after my son was born. My husband and I are planning a trip to Hawaii at the end of the summer, and I DO NOT want to look like a beached whale. Plus, at the beginning of next year, we are going to start TTC #2. I want to be as healthy as I can, and at an ideal body weight for my next pregnancy. My first one was riddled with complications, some that my weight contributed too.

I've seesawed this last year. I won't lie about that. I have my husband behind me, my son beside me, and my future in front of me. I have dug deep, and I will continue to dig deep. Here's the start of a new me!
  • ClassicStyles
    Options
    At 45, it's really about staying healthy for me. I have had my ups and downs my entire life.. but I would like to stick around for my kids, I want to be the great Mom who babysits for her grandchildren - and I want to be healthy enough to run around with them. I also want to regain my good looks. I have said this before... but my entire life...well my younger life..I was always one of the pretty girls... I wasn't the hottest, or the thinnest, but I was always very pretty. These days I look in the mirror and it's not the same - these days I am old looking and frumpy and I have a belly that I absolutely HATE. So there it is... a little bit of positive motivation.. and a little bit of negative... Hopefully its the right combination.... Take Care Everyone.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Seems like I have different motivation than others here. My motivation to workout everyday was to hit some goals like working out, and doing things to take care of me as my goal in the end was to have my friend here with me after I have my baby!! It doesn't look like it is going to happen anymore, so I'm not too sure how to keep this up actually!! Before my pregnancy I was working out 3-4 times a week. When I workout I do feel so much better!!! Motivations certainly help, but when there no longer is a reason it can be difficult!!!!
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    -fashion
    -my wedding
    -10y highschool reunion
    -going to the beach and feeling good about it
    -tight learher pants
    -better sex
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My motivation is simply that life is better healthy than not healthy. My fitness level has fluctuated over the years and I know how much it sucks to be tired all the time and have a gut. When I'm eating right and getting plenty of exercise I feel great.

I also get motivation by seeing how old people who are fit live better than those that don't. I see people in their 80's walking or even running around the park while there are people in their 60's barely able to function.

Lastly, I don't buy bigger clothes. If my pants are feeling a little tight around the waist I consider that a wake-up call and focus on losing that extra weight.

There are few (if any) things in life that are more important than being healthy.
  • yrambot
    yrambot Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    fantastic motivations people! Thanks! Makes me tear up a little bit as I read some of them, and I am glad to be in good company with you all!
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    Hey all! I'm just curious what your personal motivation is for weight loss? What keeps you from reaching for the chocolate or the cookie or whatever is your weakness?
    For me it is wanting to fit into cute clothes from the boutiques that I walk by on my way to work everyday. Also to get healthy to beat my cancer and keep it from returning. (Really the second is more of a lifestyle change, but the former is what keeps me from reaching for the potato chips!)
    what is your motivation?

I am honestly sick of looking and feeling like crap. Fat, bad skin etc. It's been close to two weeks of eating healthy and within realistic calorie limits and my skin is glowing and I am down 7 pounds! I am excited to see how far I can go.

I dunno, a switch just went off in my head. I hate being tired and FAT!

• cidalrain
    Options
    tired of feeling ugly, to show my ex what he gave up, to prove to myself and to anyone else that I can do it, because they think I can't, because being healthy feels amazing, and to just plain look HOT.