I feel like giving up :(

Options
Hi everybody,

I've been wanting to lose weight for a very long time and just cant seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I currently weight 159 pounds and my goal is about 135. I hate the way I look right now so I don't even like to wear pants. If a person look at me they wont be able to tell I weight that much because all my weight is in my lower body. I have really big hips and legs. My waist is small other then the tiny gut I have. When people ask me how much I weight I lie and say 140 and I hate to lie. Last week I went on a diet and didn't eat any food at all for 3 days so I could curb my appetite because when I get bored all I think about is food. I cut out all the fast food and started focusing more on healthy foods. I lost 8pounds within that week but I gained it all right back I am now eating for breakfast 1 package of Quakers oatmeal for lunch half a turkey sandwich for dinner half a cup of mixed vegetables and 1 skinless chicken breast. For the past 10days I've been walking a track for 2miles with a sauna suit on and every other day Ill try to do about 50 sit ups and 60 leg lifts. Somebody please tell me what I need to do lose weight. I want to lose at least 10 pounds by May if possible.

Replies

• LadyKickAssington
    LadyKickAssington Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey girl!

I can relate! I am 35, 178lbs, with a scoliosis and we are the same height! I carry my weight in my mid section, arms, feet and face. I have just started. I have NEVER been this big My heaviest was around 135. I find it hard to work out because of my back problems. I refuse to give up! It took all of us a while to pack on the pounds and I know that it is going to take just as long or longer to get them off. I know that starving yourself isn't going to help. Will only cause you to eat more later and we know how that ends. I have a really good friend that lost over 100lbs and she helps motivate me. I am trying to start with small goals and then I will work my way up. It isn't going to come off over night and it is going to take a lot of work. Anything of great value takes time. Just think of yourself as a masterpiece in the works! You have to carefully work on each section. There are tons of information on the internet about SAFEr ways to lose weight. Don't give up Hopefully, we can motivate each other!!
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    You are eating too little! I would die. How many calories is that?

Honestly, we have all felt the same way that you do right now. Thats why we are here. I used to be 180lbs.
    But you dont need to cut food so drastically. I lost the majority of my weight eating 1600 calories a day and exercising 3-4days a week. Add more fruits, veggies and lean protein to your diet. Cut some carbs and drink water. Be diligent with logging and you will see results.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Aye dios. theres so much i want to say so i'll try to be quick about it lol.

First off you must realize that this is going to take time, clearly you're willing to put in the work because sauna suits are no fun (also are dangerous).

About your diet, keep in mind that food isnt the enemy, its good for you, eat the nutritious stuff and make sure you're eating enough of it to fuel those workouts. Portion control and consistent intake at a deficit (meaning less than you burn living/doing stuff in a day) and you will lose. this calorie calculator (( http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ )) helped me to find the right number for optimal weight loss while not starving myself and screwing up my metabolism (which is what will happen when you under eat for a while). or if you dont feel like doing the math, use your MFP setting but eat back your exercise calories and make sure youre choosing the appropriate activity level because unless you're in a coma, in a wheelchair and never leave the house, or sleep all day, you are NOT sedentary.

Unfortunately its impossible to 'target' loss in your trouble zones so the best way is to just reduce your overall body fat content and try to lean out by eating really clean and working out.

I hope this helped at all.
  • Shanae1207
    Shanae1207 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know and I'm only 19 so I know its only going to get worst if I don't do something about it now but its about 550 calories. I just really don't know if I'm doing anything right or should I be pushing myself harder. Its hard trying to stay consistent with this because there are days were I'm just so tired I sometimes feel like I don't have much energy to work out and just want to get something fast to eat and sleep. I also have that bad eating then going straight to sleep. I definitely need all the help and motivation possible.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    You feel tired because you are only eating 550 calories. I want to help you. The hardest thing for me to accept was that the weight was not going to come off all at once. I have been at this for over a year. Some people lose more quickly than I have, some take longer. But you cant starve yourself and workout like crazy expecting to be healthy. Sure, you might lose some weight. But you will feel extremely run down and tired and it will be difficult to keep this up long term. Then as soon as you start eating normally again you will most likey gain it all back.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    girl i feel you. i'm on my feet 8 hours a day and stressed out to the max, for a while there were days where i just tried to SURVIVE. eating better and the right amount definitely helps you FEEL better. gotta fuel yourself with the good stuff not crap. what helps me is buying pre portioned stuff that takes the work out of it for me. makes me much more likely to eat healthy. maybe set small milestones for yourself so it doesnt seem so overwhelming?

like maybe for the first week your goal is to make sure to eat the right amount of calories instead of starving yourself, and then the next you can work on eating more healthy foods within that calorie goal range, and then the next you can get more into it with cooking healthy stuff and bringing it to work for lunch and so on and so forth. breaking up a big task helps me when i feel overwhelemed. i set myself small goals for my weight loss. my first goal was to finish a 30 day program, my second goal was to lose a pant size, then it was to do a push up for reals, now my current goal is to lose the last 30lbs, and after that my goal will be to start a new program that'll help me build more muscle.

just some ideas.
  • Shanae1207
    Shanae1207 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you.

Ok so I'm going to start eating more....what are some things I can eat that are healthy? Like what should my breakfast, lunch and dinner consist of ? I really don't eat lunch that often because I never feel hungry around that time.
  • zefreak
    zefreak Posts: 37
    Options
    I myself eat lower calories but you are eating way way to little. Along with the exercise you are doing it is not only unhealthy for you but is causing your body to go into starvation mode, and may even lead to an eating disorder later even though you have not wanted to do that. You need to eat at least 1200 calories a day (I even think that is too little and have 14-1500 myself)
    Start off by having more for breakfast, just adding a yoghurt or piece of fruit will help alot. Breakfast is an important part of the day (I have some all bran and a smoothie to start off and it keeps me full for hours) You don't ever want to be starving! If you are physically hungry then eat, but don't purposefully avoid food to lose weight as it won't work that way.

Not telling you off :) Just worried about you! And you don't have to eat ahuge amount of calories/food. But it is certainly not enough with what you are eating.

And remember it takes time! Ive been going for 5 months now and only lost 5kgs (11 lbs) but thats because I have spent most of that time working out whats right for ME
  • Gingerburnett
    Options
    It was encouraging to me to see all the encouragement and advice you got! Don't give up...it's your health that counts too, not just the size of your hips and legs!
  • goosey_mcgoose
    Options
    Hi Shanae,

Please don't give up - make this an opportunity to discover new foods and new forms of exercise. The things you learn while you lose weight will stay with you and hopefully they become positive habits that you continue for the rest of your life. Undereating is definitely not a good way to achieve your weight loss goals, as others have mentioned.

Most of my diet is vegetarian, so here are a few ideas:
    Breakfast:
    - toast with poached eggs and a side of sauteed spinach and mushrooms
    - half an apple chopped up with a serving of muesli or granola (go for one that has no added sugar) topped with milk and a dollop of plain non-fat greek yoghurt
    - my favorite breakfast is this recipe here: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/overnight-chai-steel-cut-oats/ if you like chai tea, you'll love these oats! also, you can make a whole week's worth and put them in little jars, ready to go... I actually eat half a serving for breakfast

Lunch:
    - salad with avocado, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), mixed greens, shredded carrot and some whole grain crackers on the side. (with a home-made mustard-lemon-olive oil dressing)
    - a wheat tortilla stuffed with sauteed kale, black beans, low-fat salsa and low-fat sour cream
    - lavash wrap (or other wrap bread) spread thinly with peanut butter, some low-fat cottage cheese, sprinkled with raisins and rolled up
    - steamed rice with steamed vegetables, such as carrots, broccoli, green beans (you can add some soy sauce if you like for a little flavor)
    - a small serving of dinner left-overs

Dinner:
    ... OK I could go on for ever, dinner is my favorite meal of the day!
    I'm probably not the best to suggest dinner options because 1) as someone who enjoys cooking, my meals are considered overly complicated for people that really just want to get dinner over with - I don't want to dissuade you from cooking your own meals, 2) my dinners typically are the biggest meal of the day since I cook for myself and my husband who is very active, so if might be things like pasta with "nutballs" (meatballs for vegetarians), fajitas, lasagne with homemade bechamel sauce and tempeh-tomato sauce, etc. The key is eating small portions - you can still enjoy your food!

With all the suggestions I provided it's easy to stay nourished but also easy to over-eat if you don't watch your portions. Just because these are healthy ingredients doesn't mean you can eat loads! Portion control has been the main way I started losing weight, since I was already eating healthily (just too much!)

Good luck!
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've always had the same problem. Even now, at 28 and my lowest weight ever(i think) my lower half is bigger than my top. Try to accept that you can't change your shape, but you can improve it. It's ok at 19 not to be parient about it and wish that you will change fast, but when it comes to weight loss fast is not the solution.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Thank you.

Ok so I'm going to start eating more....what are some things I can eat that are healthy? Like what should my breakfast, lunch and dinner consist of ? I really don't eat lunch that often because I never feel hungry around that time.

Log everything, weigh everything - a food scale is your best investment. If you have a low calorie day once in a while don't worry too much about it (but don't do it too regularly!). If you don't feel hungry at lunch have a snack and have a big dinner. Maybe look into Intermittent Fasting, it may work for you?
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    You need to EAT. Eat and exercise 30 minutes a day. You can do anything for 30 minutes.

Breakfast: Eggs are my weapon of choice. Oatmeal and bagels are okay if you eat carbs/grains. Even just a banana is better than nothing.

Lunch: If you eat grains and carbs, tuna sandwich. Have a chicken salad. I cook some chicken breasts and have it with some veggies personally, cuz I've gradually leaning toward a mostly paleo eating style.

Dinner: Meat and veggies. Turkey and chicken breast are my 2 favs to have as they are both really healthy. One of my fav things to have is stuffed sweet potatoes (stuffed with veggies). Just have fun with spices and different veggies.

There's people who will tell you that you need to eat way more than you are comfortable with. But I believe that eating clean is more important than the number you are putting in. IMO you shouldn't eat under 1200 for sure. I shoot for 15-1600 myself if I can. I eat as clean as possible so it can be hard. But things you can do to help get calories in: drink a glass of milk, have some peanut butter.

Concentrate on being healthy and nurturing your body and the weight loss WILL come, I promise.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Thank you.

You need to eat a LOT more. Use MFP the way it was designed. 10lb is not a lot of weight to lose so you need to aim for a smaller weight loss a week, 0.5 - 1lb a week would be ideal. Set yourself as sedentary and log and eat back your exercise calories.

As for food, you aren't doing too badly, you just need to eat more of it, and fit in some snacks too. Oatmeal is healthy. Try having some fruit on top. like a banana. Or making an omelette. A turkey sandwich isn't too bad either - but why have half? Have the whole thing, have some salad in with the turkey, a homemade soup on the side, or a yogurt, or some fruit, etc.
    Chicken and veg is healthy but too much of it and you will get bored. Experiment a bit. Eat other meats, make other meals.
  • Staysee7
    Staysee7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Things to remember:

This weight loss deal is a marathon, not a sprint
    If the food you're eating came in a package or a box, it's made from man/processed therefore is not going to give you the fuel your body needs to do what it needs to do. The majority of food you should be eating is the food that nature has made.
    Don't get hung up on calories, they are important with respect to your BME and TDEE, but don't fixate on them
    Drink more water
  • LoseWithLaurie
    LoseWithLaurie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you.

Food, don't make it complicated.

^ EXACTLY! And if you need accountability please add some friends that will help you!
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody,

I've been wanting to lose weight for a very long time and just cant seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I currently weight 159 pounds and my goal is about 135. I hate the way I look right now so I don't even like to wear pants. If a person look at me they wont be able to tell I weight that much because all my weight is in my lower body. I have really big hips and legs. My waist is small other then the tiny gut I have. When people ask me how much I weight I lie and say 140 and I hate to lie. Last week I went on a diet and didn't eat any food at all for 3 days so I could curb my appetite because when I get bored all I think about is food. I cut out all the fast food and started focusing more on healthy foods. I lost 8pounds within that week but I gained it all right back I am now eating for breakfast 1 package of Quakers oatmeal for lunch half a turkey sandwich for dinner half a cup of mixed vegetables and 1 skinless chicken breast. For the past 10days I've been walking a track for 2miles with a sauna suit on and every other day Ill try to do about 50 sit ups and 60 leg lifts. Somebody please tell me what I need to do lose weight. I want to lose at least 10 pounds by May if possible.

First of all, DON'T GET DISCOURAGED! We've all been there. :wink:

#2- you unfortunately gained all of your weight back because not eating at all may have quick effects, but it's not sustainable and very unhealthy. Believe me, I've done it a ton of times (most of the time, believe it or not, it was on accident. I just forgot to eat)

#3- I am glad you are doing the healthy way with exercise!!! :bigsmile: , BUT you are eating too little. I try and hit all of my food groups everyday and although this seems hard, it becomes quite easy with practice. Your choices are already on the right track but I would definitely give yourself some more. Have 4-5 small meals a day instead of 3 meals. Up your 1/2 of cup of veggies to 1-2 cups (recommended amount per day), Add a fruit such as an apple, grapes, strawberries or a banana. (All natural Peanut butter and banana sandwiches on whole wheat bread are one of the healthiest choices you can have! They fill you up for a long time and it hits your grain, fruit and protein!... oh and it's amazingly delicious...)
    Eat a whole turkey sandwich or 1/2 a turkey sandwich and a salad.Then find a way to put some dairy in there. (I do not enjoy milk, so I just put a bit in my cereal, eat string cheese or drink some orange juice as my mixer with alcohol... terrible I know but I am not a calcium person lol)
    Change your breads to whole wheat and whole grains (They will be more calories, but they are better for your body in the long run and help you lose weight, white bread it harder for your body to digest)
    And the best idea that helped me lose weight was stocking my freezer with lean cuisine and smart ones meals! (not healthy choice, not as much food) They use portion control so you can eat what you like but in small portions and they're rarely ever over 310 calories a box (but beware they contain a lot of sodium)
    Lastly mix up the meat a bit. I am a chicken fan myself, but I put turkey in my salads. (as you do) but on other days sometimes I'' have canned salmon or tuna (with no mayo) on wheat thin crackers it's a nice, filling low-calorie snack.

GOOD LUCK! :drinker:
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough! I don't know your height, so I'm guestimating that you should be eating about 1350 calories per day - and that's not allowing for the exercise. When you exercise your calories should be even higher (I don't exercise at this point so I never figured out how to calculate those extra calories).

Not eating for three days is not a good thing.

You've got to look at this as a lifestyle - not a diet.

You should have protein at every meal.

For examples on what you should eat ...... did you realize that you can look at other people's food diaries .... that will give you ideas on what to eat. (click on a posters name or picture and their profile opens up -- if their diary is open, click on "read diary". Not everyone has an open diary, so if you don't see that button their diary is private--just pick another poster)

Keep reading the message boards -- they are a wealth of information and support.

Good luck! :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: