New to Keto!

Options
Tips and advice please fellow Keto'ers!!

- Weight loss success stories

- Fitness advice

- Favorite recipe's

- Should I be writing my will? lol.

- Anything else you'd like to tell me..

Replies

• x1razor
    x1razor Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    been on keto for 2 and half weeks and lost 6kg. Just don't do it more then 6months and you should be fine. my mate lost 45kg on it. I have been walking 3min a day. 3 days of weight training a week.

recipe's lol well have none bacon eggs chicken steak protein shakes veg salad cheese diet coke water. body just needs food.
    This link will give you everything.

http://www.free-workout-plans-for-busy-people.com/support-files/keto_convenience_finding_easily_available_keto_food_on_the_go.pdf
  • MrsMelissaBaker
    Options
    Thanks for the info and link x1razor!
  • Asterie
    Asterie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Here are tons of recipes for you! http://genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

Not sure why the previous poster said to not do it for over 6 months, I know plenty of people who are living their life at their fullest and have been in keto much longer than that--one of them since 1998!

Have fun eating all of the delicious food and feeling like you're not on a diet. When I started, I was having a hard time getting all of my calories in because I'd get full so quickly, so here's a tip: fat bombs. http://lowcarbbetterhealth.blogspot.ca/2012/07/fat-bombs.html
  • LesaLu4
    LesaLu4 Posts: 83
    Options
    bump
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Not sure why the previous poster said to not do it for over 6 months, I know plenty of people who are living their life at their fullest and have been in keto much longer than that--one of them since 1998!
    There's absolutely no evidence that suggests people can't be ketogenic their entire lives if they choose to. In-fact, before the advent of insulin, ketogenic diets were the standard treatment for Type I diabetes. It's also been used a similar length of time (over a century) to treat epilepsy.

I've personally been ketogenic since adopting a VLCKD (very low carb ketogenic diet) to control my diabetes since late December of 2010 - so going on 2 and a half years.
  • MrsMelissaBaker
    Options
    Wonderful, Thank you Asterie!
  • MrsMelissaBaker
    Options
    Good to know Albertabeefy! Would love to connect with others on Keto diets instead of having to explain why I am eating so much fat to people who want to encourage me to count my calories.. I love being on the same level with people here on MFP!
  • Alexfit12
    Alexfit12 Posts: 54
    Options
    There's absolutely no evidence that suggests people can't be ketogenic their entire lives if they choose to. In-fact, before the advent of insulin, ketogenic diets were the standard treatment for Type I diabetes. It's also been used a similar length of time (over a century) to treat epilepsy.

I've personally been ketogenic since adopting a VLCKD (very low carb ketogenic diet) to control my diabetes since late December of 2010 - so going on 2 and a half years.

I honestly can't be keto for more than 2 weeks, without certain consequences. I'm a runner and I do fitness, and without restoring glicogen to the muscles every 10 days let's say, working out does more harm than good. (At least for me) And yes, I ate my protein, ate my fats, took the vitamins, love my dark green vegetables.

For this reason I'm slightly surprised you can healthily stay ketogenic for so long. Do you break the period every now and then somehow? What's your carb intake per day? For me to stay in keto it's about 18 grams carbs per day, which is not enough to refeed muscles it seems.

How do you make being ketogenic sustainable?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I remember as a teenager when I had an eating disorder and a nurse tested my blood and said I was in Keto and looked at my like it was a very bad thing. I would never do it on purpose.
  • Asterie
    Asterie Posts: 159 Member
    Options

I honestly can't be keto for more than 2 weeks, without certain consequences. I'm a runner and I do fitness, and without restoring glicogen to the muscles every 10 days let's say, working out does more harm than good. (At least for me) And yes, I ate my protein, ate my fats, took the vitamins, love my dark green vegetables.

For this reason I'm slightly surprised you can healthily stay ketogenic for so long. Do you break the period every now and then somehow? What's your carb intake per day? For me to stay in keto it's about 18 grams carbs per day, which is not enough to refeed muscles it seems.

From what I understand, bodies need time to adapt to using the fatty cells primarily for the energy burned in exercise (someone told me this takes four weeks, but I didn't check its accuracy so don't take my word on it). Either way, I waited about a week of eating under 20 g carbs, then I added in 30 DS, and now I'm almost done with my second week and I'm four days into Insanity, too. You just need give yourself time to catch up! I would ease back into the running. Either way, for some reason it's much more satisfying exercising now that I'm in ketosis; don't ask me why.

And for the record, I'm not planning on staying around 20 g carbs, starting from Monday I'll be increasing my carbs by 5 g every week and checking (with ketostix) to see if I'm still in ketosis, stopping when I reach my maximum carb point. I think most people who have done it for a while end up being around 60-100 g carbs/day. (:
  • albertabeefy
    Options

First question I'd have would be how high is your fat content? I never drop below 65% caloric intake, and no - I never break ketosis.

My second question is what's your protein content? I have higher needs than some people, and when mass-building have about 30% calories from protein. However many find this is simply too much to keep them in ketosis. If you're needing as little as 18g of carbohydrate a day to maintain ketosis, it's entirely possible you're taking in too much protein.

Excess protein (above what's required for muscular synthesis for repair) will be converted to glucose in our systems through gluconeogenesis. This often causes people to struggle to be keto-adapted or ketogenic. Some people have to reduce protein intake to a maximum of 20% of their diet to become fully keto-adapted.

Also, please be aware that without staying in ketosis for as much as 6 weeks (varies for each individual), you may have been in ketosis, though not fully keto-adapted. (Ketosis and keto-adaptated are not necessarily the same. You must be in ketosis to become keto-adapted, but until your metabolism 'shifts', being in ketosis doesn't automatically 'make' you keto-adapted.)

As for athletic performance (you mention you're a runner, and fit): This summer (yes, while ketogenic) I managed a 160km (100 mile) bike ride up/over the Highwood Pass, the highest paved road in Canada, TWICE, with no ill effects except a (very expected) reduced output when pushing into anaerobic 15%-grade hill climbs at over 7000' ... (we have reduced anaerobic capacity while ketogenic).

For those wondering I did take in ~130g of carbohydrate that day, but I also took in over 6,000 calories, a little over 8% of my calories from carbs. And yes, I used each and every calorie :smile:

However for aerobic activity, I can easily ride for 4 or 5 hours at a good capacity without munching energy bars, sucking on gels, powerade, etc., like the glucose-starved guys around me.

My own overall carb-intake per day varies. While dieting (where I am currently) I tend to have about 30-40g - but I also maintain 90 minutes a day of exercise and 2,200 calories. So it's barely 5-7% of my calories from carbohydrate while doing some fairly intense exercise. When mass-building I'll take in about 60-75g - maybe even 100g on rare occasion, with a minimum 3,500 calories. So around 7-8% of my calories normally, but as high as 11% on a higher-exercise day.

A really good resource for people that are trying to be ketogenic and keto-adapted, but who also exercise extensively is Peter Attia, MD - he's a ketogenic MD and distance athlete that likes to be his own guinea-pig. Check him out at www.eatingacademy.com or look for many of his videos on youtube.

Hope that helps a little.
  • Danielle817
    Danielle817 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump
  • natasia600
    natasia600 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started keto on April 1st and am feeling pretty successful. There's times where I want a snack and I've found that string cheese, salami slices, pepperoni, sf jello, pork rinds (not me, but bf loves them), and avocados have been pretty satisfying. The first few days I struggled to wrap my head around such a high fat intake, but having learned more from a bio colleague I get it. Also, you really do feel full and satisfied longer with eating higher fat.
    Be sure to drink plenty of water ea day, I aim for 2L personally. If you've got a headache or experience the "keto flu" you may be in need of electrolytes- smart water and other electrolyte water have been good (recall that avocados have super high potassium as well). I also take a multi vitamin and calcium+magnesium supplement ea day.

Recipes are everywhere online, just do a google search. :) hope that helps OP.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm new to keto too, I woke up with the keto flu this morning :/

My biggest challenge right now is my caloric intake. According to the keto calculator on reddit I should be at 1460 calories, that's less than the 1700 I've been doing. It also recommends a 63/32/5 ratio... MFP doesn't let me set the ratio's so I'm a tad off.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    I'm new to keto too, I woke up with the keto flu this morning :/

My biggest challenge right now is my caloric intake. According to the keto calculator on reddit I should be at 1460 calories, that's less than the 1700 I've been doing. It also recommends a 63/32/5 ratio... MFP doesn't let me set the ratio's so I'm a tad off.
    FYI a 63/32/5 ratio is probably too high in protein unless you're a VERY serious bodybuilder. Women usually have slightly lower protein requirements than men, and many find excellent keto results closer to a 75/20/5 ratio.

We can't give you an estimate on calories without knowing your height/weight and your amount of activity. Generally-speaking if you're looking for fat-loss you should be between your BMR and your TDEE in calories. Many use the TDEE-20% as a guideline.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Macro's of 75/20/5 only gives me 73g of protein. RDA recommended minimum amount is 124. Considering I'm in the gym 6 days a week the LAST thing I want to lose what muscle I have worked hard to gain...so I think I'll keep it my protein at 30% with 1500 calories.