How to tone up

Options
I've lost some weight and now I really need to tone up. Can anyone give me any ideas? I'm thinking I may need to incorporate weights into my workouts. Do you think this would help? Thanks :smile:

Replies

• drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Weights will defenetely help!
    To make your body look more toned you need to make your muscles grow = best achieved with weights.

Do you have gym access?
  • SynapseAP
    SynapseAP Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with incorporating weights. I'm in the same boat as you, in that I've lost some weight and am now in the "toning" phase. Weights will build muscle, which will make you look better (toned) and help build up your metabolism (more muscle = more calories burned).

I've also added in creatine to my diet, which helps with recovery (less sore muscles), and try and eat high protein.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Have a look at Chalean Extreme. Great for beginners.
  • dawnj87
    dawnj87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am definately looking into the weights. My nephew is a state arm wrestling champion and he has also given me pointers about weight lifting so I am going to start soon.
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    go for swimming...
  • rosshowse
    rosshowse Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "Toning"

There are only 3 things your body can do in, instead of this misconception of "toning"

Grow or shrink in muscle size
    or lose body fat

If ladies are looking to "tone up"

firstly you need to lose body fat, tounearth the muscles underneath the fat.

then for the so called "toning" ladies you will need to pick up some weights and lift

I recommend

Bench press
    squats
    deadlifts
    and overheadpress

keep them at moderate weights and perform 3 10-12 reps each
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit and strength train.

Toning is a myth.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows what someone is trying to say when they use the word tone. I think we should just acknowledge that we know people mean that they want more visible muscle definition. I knew this thread was going to take a wrong turn because she chose an MFP flaming trigger word.

Check out Pinterest. There are tons of workout routine pins that are body weight only that will help you incorporate strength training into your routine.
  • dawnj87
    dawnj87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    if that were true Kelly then when people ask how to tone say their arms, people would understand why giving arm exercise ideas is dumb. right? yet there are always a lot of people who still do just that.