Brown Rice

Options
Could somebody plllleeeaaasssee tell me (in grams, pre-cooking weight) what is a sensible amount of brown rice to be having? I have changed to a healthy eating regime (I refuse to say I am dieting :-)) with a view to shedding a good couple of stone. Loving My Fitness Pal and loving my new found love of exercise - the only thing I am not loving is my brown rice confusion :-(

Replies

• shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    75g dry per person is the suggested portion, its quite a lot actually!
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    75g dry is the recommended portion. However, I usually find this quite a lot so when I make some for lunch I only use 50g to mix in with my tuna and veg. :flowerforyou:
  • oldy76
    oldy76 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I usually have 30g dry uncooked weight... roughly 100cals worth
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I use brown rice as an addition to lunches to make them more satisfying, but it's almost never the main part of my meal. I only measure it cooked for portions- when I make brown rice, I put 1 cup dry (measured in grams according to the bag) in the rice cooker and that makes many servings for me. I typically use about 50g cooked (not very much). If it's the one rice-based dish I make (Thai pineapple "fried" brown rice with veggies ) it'll be more like 100-150g cooked max. The trick is to bulk it up with tons of veggies! Veggies are always the bulk of my meal; rice is an occasional addition.
  • nomesw84
    nomesw84 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have 62.5g uncooked weight, it's the suggested serving size on the side of the packet I use :smile:
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I use white rice, not brown, and I use 150g dry servings.

It's awesome.
  • Tateyhead88
    Options
    bump
  • Melissa_day
    Options
    Last night I cooked 50g of brown rice to have with my evening meal and it was really reasonable sized portion, I was very full at the end (that was around 160 caleries)
  • SarahLou1111
    Options
    Thanks all - I think 50g sounds like a reasonable amount and will give that a go tonight :-)