Knees hurt from jogging

Options
I am new to jogging and it has been causing some pain/soreness in my knees. I just got back from a jog and am currently icing. Should I be concerned that jogging is going to mess up my knees? Could this be an issue of bad running form? Is it likely that my knees just need to get stronger? Thanks in advance for input.

Replies

• aminer31
    aminer31 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Did you go to a running store and get fitted for correct shoes. I am severely overweight and also had knee issues. I still have some pain after harder runs but the shoes have made a huge difference.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Could be a whole bunch of things including bad form or a weakness in your hips/quads/glutes/calves etc. Firstly consider going to a physio to assess your runnig action. Like the person above said, make sure you have good properly fitted shoes as that can make a HUUUGGGE difference. Don't try to do too much too soon (i.e. increasing distance/speed/volume) as this can cause injury.

So many things could be happening with your knees so talking to a profesional is your best bet
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Also, sports shoes need to be replaced regularly. Every 6 months from memory.
  • swangwcb
    swangwcb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Could be a whole bunch of things including bad form or a weakness in your hips/quads/glutes/calves etc. Firstly consider going to a physio to assess your runnig action. Like the person above said, make sure you have good properly fitted shoes as that can make a HUUUGGGE difference. Don't try to do too much too soon (i.e. increasing distance/speed/volume) as this can cause injury.

So many things could be happening with your knees so talking to a profesional is your best bet

^ This.

I ran a marathon. Lost hella weight but my knees got pretty jacked up from it. Started p.t. early on and still have issues, but wouldn't have been able to do it without the p.t. and the running clinic I did. Good luck!
  • Costonm
    Costonm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try walking on an incline on a tread mill. also don't run on pavement there is no cushion from the impact. if you want to run do it on a track or on a tread mill at lest till you get used to it.
  • kateroisin
    Options
    Re: shoes

My sneakers are not professionally fit, but I have custom orthotics from my podiatrist, so I feel like the shoes are probably not the issue.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Re: shoes

My sneakers are not professionally fit, but I have custom orthotics from my podiatrist, so I feel like the shoes are probably not the issue.

How old are they? They can wear out quite quickly and lose the "give" in the cushioning
  • kateroisin
    Options
    QUOTE:

"Re: shoes

"How old are they? They can wear out quite quickly and lose the "give" in the cushioning"

The shoes or the orthotics? I bought the shoes last summer. The orthotics are not cushiony orthotics--they are hard.
  • BranMuffin947
    BranMuffin947 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I had this problem at one point, and man it made me angry. I finally found the motivation to get my butt moving & my body gives out on me.

I haven't been 'running' reglarly since then, but if I were to start agian, I would start walking first.

I know that walking and running uses different muscles, but I think my knees need to get used to being on them and being used.
  • RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am not more an expert on the subject than anyone else here, but I will give you my experiences.

I thought I had bad knees. I had all kinds of trouble standing up in the morning....and after sitting at my desk for a few hours, it would take me a hand full of steps to get "loose". 6 months ago I started walking on the treadmill a half hour a day. wasn't long before I got to the point that I wanted to run a little. I started out runnign 10 minumtes of the half hour, and very slowly added to the amount of time I was running. Imagine my surprise when I started to realize that not only were my knees not hurting, I also was feeling better in the morning and durring the day. I know a lot of people that have bad knees, but mine turned out to be just weak. It was a long slow process to build up to where I am today, but well worth it.

As for getting fitted, I did it, and can't say that it made that much difference. In my opinion, unless you are putting a lot of miles a week on your shoes, a good off the rack sneaker will do. Again, this is just my opinion, but I think a lot of people think that fitted sneakers are going to make up for a lot of work in the begining. Also, the hight mileage runners say they get 350-400 miles out of their shoes.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

"Re: shoes

"How old are they? They can wear out quite quickly and lose the "give" in the cushioning"

The shoes or the orthotics? I bought the shoes last summer. The orthotics are not cushiony orthotics--they are hard.

it may be time for new sneakers. i have the hard orthotics and i could never run in them however i also have really good sneakers for running and do not need the orthotics because my good sneakers provide me with the support i need.

i could also be weak knees. working in some squats/lunges will help strengthen them.
  • kateroisin
    Options
    Thanks for your input, everyone. I will look into new sneakers. To the person who suggested walking, I have always been a big walker but I am trying to get more fit and burn more calories. Walking doesn't hurt my knees--it's just jogging.

I'm also not overweight (21.1 BMI), so that's not what's putting strain on my knees, if that matters as far as recommendations.