Fat burning drinks?

Options
At my gym there are some adverts dotted about selling a "fat burning drink" basically it says you drink it while working out and it burns more fat than working out alone. I am personally not interested in buying it, as I don't like putting things in to my body that I am not sure about because of my kidney disease.

However that said, I am still curious as to whether they actually work or if they are just a gimmick. Have you ever tried anything like it and did it work for you?

Replies

• EmmaReed84
    EmmaReed84 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • howekaren
    howekaren Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Any time I have seen something promoted as "fat-burning" and done research, it turns out to be smoke and mirrors. There is no quick-fix.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the ingredients - it's probably just loaded with caffeine. Any effects are going to be minimal and not worth the money. May as well just drink a strong coffee.
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Castor oil helps clear ya out. Heh.

Don't buy into the hype and BS. We'd all be skinny if we could just drink our fat away.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    99% gimmick. Caffeine can have some pretty minimal benefits, but it's more about the energy and increased intensity of the workout than some fat burning miracle.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Any time I have seen something promoted as "fat-burning" and done research, it turns out to be smoke and mirrors. There is no quick-fix.

This. There are no short-cuts to places worth going. It's all about dedication and hard work.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Water is the best thing you can drink.

Anyone claiming they have a magic quick fix is just trying to take your money.

ETA: like a few said before me, it's mostly a lot of caffeine, and the biggest effect that has on weight loss is that you get the jitters, which makes you move more. Why pay them money to make you move more? Just move more... it's free! :D
  • EmmaReed84
    Options
    I thought that would be the case, I am just surprised that my gym are advertising and selling them, but I s'pose it is all money for them at the end of the day. None of the instructors have ever actually mentioned it to me before, or ever tried to sell it to me.

I am a very skeptical person anyway, and also enjoy the fact I am getting in to shape because of my own hard work, dedication and motivation. :)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Red wine works, I have anecdotal, personal and, indeed, current 'I'm chucking it down my neck right now' evidence.

Seriously, really, no ... There are no shortcuts.

At all.

If there were then thanks to the internet we'd all know about them and MFP wouldn't exist.

My glass is empty, time for another, chin chin. :)
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am starting to think the oolong tea I drink is raising my metabolism a little. I drink green tea also. But I have been doing that for years with out noticing any difference.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    No.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    You should buy it. The placebo effect is powerful.
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    I thought that would be the case, I am just surprised that my gym are advertising and selling them, but I s'pose it is all money for them at the end of the day. None of the instructors have ever actually mentioned it to me before, or ever tried to sell it to me.

I am a very skeptical person anyway, and also enjoy the fact I am getting in to shape because of my own hard work, dedication and motivation. :)

That's a commercial enterprise for you ... I'm dismayed by the rubbish nutrition pushed onto children from school onwards but everything is run like a business these days. The bottom line and spreadsheets are king. Hey, chuck another coke machine in the hallway, cut corners and shave off some $ in the lunch break, etc, etc.

Gyms are just another business, they don't really care about individual health, just making money.
  • EmmaReed84
    Options
    You should buy it. The placebo effect is powerful.

But isn't the point of a placebo effect, the fact that the person believes that what is said about a product to be true? I don't believe it, therefore it wouldn't work anyway LOL.

On a side note, I love the word placebo ever since watching 51st State LOL!!!
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    But isn't the point of a placebo effect, the fact that the person believes that what is said about a product to be true? I don't believe it, therefore it wouldn't work anyway LOL.

On another side note I went to school with the writer of The 51st State. He's a nice guy.
  • EmmaReed84
    Options

On another side note I went to school with the writer of The 51st State. He's a nice guy.

Hmmm, would have been more impressed if you said Samuel L. Jackson LOL
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    Hmmm, would have been more impressed if you said Samuel L. Jackson LOL

So would I :)

Some people are just cool, and despite Mr Jackson relentlessly flogging an on-line betting site in Oz he's still very cool ...

So, back on-topic, really cold water ... Just drink a shed load of that ... If you want a negligible metabolic boost ...