I want to be healthy, and look hot while doing it!

Options
Hi everyone, I have been a member for about a week now. It has really put things into perspective having to write down everything I eat and how much I exercise. Losing weight is so hard!! I have an underactive thyroid which makes it hard to lose and easy to gain, even with medication. So, any tips that you can give to make this a "lifestyle change" would be greatly appreciated. I'm done with no carb, stupid quick weight loss schemes. I want to change forever and be healthier, especially with the big 3-0 coming up in a couple of months!!

Replies

• prettylyzard
    prettylyzard Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hey! Welcome! This is great....I have the same issues with my thyroid, so I understand. But I'm also on the long haul of wanting to do it right and forever! Feel free to add me as a friend! We can help motivate eachother!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    You'll find a lot of different variations in diet on this site (personally, I am trying to lower carbs a bit because I have insulin resistance... but definitely not do no carb). I guess my biggest tip is that for a lifestyle change, you need to do something you can maintain for life. For me, that means that I still eat pizza, fast food, and desserts... I just do it in moderation and work it into my food plan for the day. I find that it really helps me to plan ahead on meals and to do a plan for what I will eat for the next day. I don't always stick to that, but it gives me a general guideline of what the day should look like. :) I'm hoping at some point after I reach my goal weight to not have to track calories all of the time... and I think that keeping track right now, even on the less healthy days, will help me succeed on that on down the road.

I would also encourage you to look at food diaries of others who are trying to lose weight. Some of public (mine is), and you can get lots of ideas from looking around at others food diaries. :)

Good luck and welcome!
  • fchopin42
    fchopin42 Posts: 51
    Options
    Welcome! I'm on my second week. I think watching caloric intake and exercising is the key to healthy living. :smile: I'm always happy to hear people quit doing all those "quick fix" type diets... they really don't last.

I had my thyroid removed last year due to thyroid cancer and put on 40 pounds before my endo could regulate my meds. I'm finally on the correct dosage of synthroid and I feel much better. What is your TSH? You should be between .3 and 3. I'm at .57 which is perfect. I haven't had any trouble loosing weight since my tsh got where it needed to be... Hopefully you don't have a hard time.

Good luck to you!

Lisa
  • Mombip
    Mombip Posts: 3
    Options
    I love the title to this blog. I have been on this journey for 6 months now. And I am very happy to have lost 34 lbs. I am also doing it for the long haul. To be healthy for my kids and myself. The only thing that has truly helped me is walking which i try to walk at least four times a week. And portion control. It is so easy to fill that plate because that is what our parents always told us. If you have a hard time with portion control then I suggest smaller plates. They look fuller then they really are. I hope this helped one of you or all of you because encouragement has also helped
  • jennk221
    jennk221 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothroid and am curently on medication to get my levels back up where they need to be. It's still hard, I'm not going to lie...but it's worth it! I have only been doing this a short time myself, but I feel so much better doing it than I did before. I don't deprive myself either, as some other replies have said it's alla bout moderation. That has been the hardest for me because I was used to eating huge portions. Add me as a friend if you like and we can support each other along this lifestyle change journey.
  • sherryl9128
    sherryl9128 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure where my tsh levels are, my doctor has never actually told me. I am on levothyroxine 150, however my old doctor had me @ 175....I think I felt better at the higher level, but my current doc seems to think this is fine. I'm going to be looking into local endocrinologists very soon! Thank you for the info!